Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Has anybody on this thread mentioned the possibility of not using any electronic stuff? I think that is half the point of camping anyway.

Naturally, some electronics are hard to do without like a cell phone, but for that just get a couple of battery packs that can charge your phone up to six times (check out Amazon). $20 to $30. Other than that, just forget about using electric gadgets.
    I have found it interesting that my electrical consumption with the clipper is less than that of many with a tent. .
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The Li-ion systems I've looked at work just fine at 12v + up/down converters, but $350-500 is a little too rich for portable power. I also noticed last night that the little WEGAN-type systems currently sold at Costco weigh half as much as my OPTIMA but only deliver 1/3 the power. Dollar-for-AH, it's tough to beat an AGM without a big down payment!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

"Has anybody on this thread mentioned the possibility of not using any electronic stuff? I think that is half the point of camping anyway."--Mike

What you say is true for a single person, but I usually family car camp, or cubscout campouts-- and that requires, lights, fans, refrigeration, cameras, phones, etc. using one large battery solves the problem of having to keep track of many small cells. For example, I used to have a tent light that hung from the top of my big family tent. In between campouts the batteries leaked and ruined the lantern. So this is just one less set of cells I have to worry about. I only carry AAA cell now for the head lamps, and that is it.

When I have gone backpack camping, it's back to the basics.

-Johnny

Comment

I used to camp without (most stuff)...
          ...and it was fun.... a camp emergency (bear executed, by a friend, via 30-30 at 2:30 AM for stealing chips) convinced me that a quick access non fumble-in-the-dark battery light was a basic.

When I started four wheeling and Jeep camping I became aware that good lighting (at least inside the tent) was a good thing/way better than a lantern... for me; fire light is plenty as a general camp light and helps the ambience/camp experience, which is destroyed by even a single glaring lantern...
          Some friends hibernating in the tent with an early Gameboy, convinced me that computers, games, most electronic toys detract from camping.

The device on the end table, in the pic below is my e-book, rainy day, library, it never gets used if socializing is available.

It was, and is, funny to watch cellphone/tablet people try to get signal where we camp; a big reason why I camp there.
          ...the look on their faces when I tell them that they can get signal if they hike over that mountain... Priceless...

I use both NiMh rechargeable AA/AAAs and the 35 AH battery for lighting... even tried some solar garden lights (they help returning to the tent after extinguishing the fire for the night).

I prefer using a 450 lumen 110 volt lamp in the tent runs from the 35AH using an 80 watt inverter... and in an emergency the lamp globe and the (plastic on these bulbs) diffuser can be removed to use it as a relatively high power floodlight.

Enjoy!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-12-2015, 09:44 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
            Has anybody on this thread mentioned the possibility of not using any electronic stuff? I think that is half the point of camping anyway.

Naturally, some electronics are hard to do without like a cell phone, but for that just get a couple of battery packs that can charge your phone up to six times (check out Amazon). $20 to $30. Other than that, just forget about using electric gadgets.
            At least for me, carrying electricity into the woods was just the evolution of car camping. Years ago I figured out that a battery and a few halogen lights were a lot easier to deal with than propane and liquid fuel lanterns. It also gave me the ability to put lights up high enough that they weren't glaring in your face. That also meant that the bugs the light draws in aren't in your face. It also made sense to move to a 12 volt inflator for the mattress and my beloved Electric Hickman rather than rely on expensive D batteries. On top of all that, since my group of idiots are all music people, taking a better radio* with us was kind of a no-brainer. As it turns out, taking more power with me has helped keep at least one of my friends from having to sit out on trips. We're not getting any younger so, when someone is tied to a very necessary CPAP machine to keep from dying in their sleep, having a reliable way to power it is another gotta have.

*I've got my eye out for the UPS guy since ordering a product from a newly resurrected company called Aiwa. I've been shopping for wireless speakers for a few months and stumbled onto the Exos-9. The specs look great for the money, plus it's the only speaker in it's class that I know of that has an internal battery for true portability. They offer a 90 day money back guarantee so I can't see not giving it a go. :he:

Comment

here is an example of the 12v system, I have assembled. Just in case you are interested: electric blanket, fridge, mattress inflator, fans, work light, xmas lights, and solar panel in back. I put up a pic of the xmas lights, in case someone asks "why? xmas lights"; They provide nice low level lighting--preserves night vision, and use so little juice I can leave them on. Great inside or outside the tent. I am looking for some in red.

I used the battery this weekend and it was a great success. The 11 year old could carry it easily. (this is my standard test. If a kid can carry it and set it up, it is light enough and not too complicated--BTW, most cots fail this test)

-johnny
              Attached Files

Comment

I am a backpacker,only bring the first one high-tech is smartphone ,due to I try my best to reduce my luggage ,but smartphone would be handy for you to have as wifi is available everywhere.second one is Suaoki solar phone battery charger for power ,just in case my smartphone is no electricity.Also I'll bring some clothes ,food and water etc ,they are the power for my whole trip.
                Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

Working...
                X