Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

My Wagan (it IS Wagan not wegan) has been running strong for 6 years now, so I disagree it can't do the job regardless of output. It has not failed me yet to provide the power I need. But, my power needs are not extensive - cell phone/kindle/laptop recharging and mp3 player with dock and computer speakers are about the bulk of my needs. I can't imagine needing so much electricity while camping as to require all that power used by TPLife - even with my RV. But that's why it's important to determine your own usage needs in order to identify your best solution.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I rate being aware of, and minimizing, power consumption as the reason that we have been happy with a relatively small battery while camping; after so many years it is second nature.
      Our evolution;
      The camping power started as a (dead) UPS which was revived by a new 8 AH battery.
      It ran a a CFL table lamp for 13 hours, got the beeper plugged (to prevent further insanity) and had more batteries added to extend the runtime). Stuffed the batteries in an ammo can (easier to carry:.
      The UPs then got replaced by a 400 watt inverter (which was subsequently destroyed by a near miss lightning strike; look for lightning tracks down the trees and don't camp there).
      A 5 watt solar panel was obtained and worked fairly well to keep things charged on long trips.

The 4 batteries got replaced once (life about 6 or 8 years) as did the inverter (chinese quality).
      The 35 amp hour deep discharge battery was purchased after the replacement batteries started dying (it was cheaper and better rated than the four 8AH batteries). Although it didn't fit in the ammo box, it came with a handle.
      This started a renovation of the solar (it transformed into a pair of 12 volt (advertised 7watt output its really closer to 4 watts each) trickle charge panels in a hinged configuration and the inverter was replaced by a smaller unit that was mounted to the top of the battery with Velcro (I modified 2 learning from past burnouts (& anticipating chinese quality)).
      The panels' output closely matches our draw allowing us to roughly charge the battery by connecting the panels for roughly 1 1/2 times the time that the battery was used for lighting.

My advice for people starting is to document and total forecasted power usage and time then double it and get a deep discharge battery (or bank) capable of supplying the need while not dropping below 50% (80% will help the batteries last longer) charge.

I anticipate, since getting a 12 volt refrigerator/freezer, that I will make up a new system in the spring with a larger 100 AH (minimum) deep discharge battery (flooded, AGM, SLA; doesn't really matter to me), 100 watts of panel, a charge controller and a folding hand truck to move the battery around the site.

Enjoy!
      Attached Files
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

So I decided to get a small 35 ah AGM deep cycle battery. I put it in a little lunch box and attached a 12v port adapter--it also has USB ports. You can see it runs a lot of devices. I have a trickle charger, and a solar panel for it while in the field. It was about $100 for the batt and all the parts. It should last about 3 to 4 years if I keep a charge properly.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...haaGVLVHhMM0p3[/img]

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...l1RkU2anN6M0ZR

I'll try to figure out how to embed the photos. For some reason I can't do it now.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Johnny Test; 11-09-2015, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
          I'll try to figure out how to embed the photos. For some reason I can't do it now.
          If you hover over the icons above the message box, you'll see one that says Insert Image. Click on it and you'll get a popup window asking for the url of your picture. Copy it from your Google picture, paste it in the box and you're good to go.

Nice setup you've got there. I especially like that Bestek splitter.
          Last edited by MacGyver; 11-07-2015, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I built a portable power supply with a Life Line RV battery. I used a quick connect SO cord from The Home Depot so I can take it out of the van.

It's not hard to build one as the directions are online. I copied a design from the Expedition Portal and added the CTEK Dual 250S battery charger/isolator.

Last edited by markkee; 11-08-2015, 10:13 AM.
            Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
            sigpic

Comment

It's great to see all the ideas that people have and share in this forum. I'm a big fan of solar power.

The most useful and portable power system I use is a 14 watt folding solar panel with a Tomo 4 18650 cell power bank. The great thing about the Tomo is that you can slide open the unit and exchange the batteries. So not only is it a power bank it's a battery charger for the flashlight and headlamp which use 18650 lithium cells. With this unit can charge the cellphone, use the headlamp as a area light by shining it into something to diffuse light, run a small fan, and anything else that uses 5V USB plug.
              Attached Files

Comment

Element, I have seen yr other solar setups. Post about them here.

Comment

Johnny Test I like your portable set with the multi 12V sockets. Is it homebuilt? I built a similar device that goes with my larger 12V solar systems. Started with a cheap double socket unit sold as a cup holder splitter from automotive store. Butchered the heck out of it with a plastic welder, added compartments, added a 20 ft cord with banana plug to reach the solar unit outside, added LED light and reflector on top, 3 more 12V banana jack outputs on the back. 1 jack is always on, another is switched on/off and another controlled with a PWM module for adjustable output from 3-12V. I use banana jacks and plugs for most of my 12V devices and all the panels. Not the best connectors to use, but cheap and what I had lying around in excess. Everything is interchangeable. Also made adapters to go from banana jack to cig. socket and vise versa. The PWM output jack can be used to control my 12V fan speed anywhere from gentle breeze to hurricane, dimmer for another 12V homemade LED lantern that is about 300 lumens at 12V, can adjust it all the way down to off, or for a 12V water pump when I set up the portable hot tub, and have also used it to control the air mattress inflator which can be connected to a section of steel pipe for those times need to turn the campfire into a forced air forge. The one solar unit I built with the big wheels has a 40 watt panel built into the top as a hinged lid. Installed 4 additional banana jacks on the side to add more panels. Have three 100 watt and another 40 watt all with 15 ft cords and banana plugs for a total of 380 watts rated which prove to actually only produce about 300 watts under optimum conditions. About 22 amps is the max input I've ever seen. Panels are always over rated. Still this is way more power than most would ever need camping or for the single 100ah deep cycle battery in the solar unit. I'd like to have two batteries but will not fit in the unit. I've put many hours into building solar stuff, could go on and on. One of my Youtube videos has more about it towards the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf3EWgVeULQ
                  Attached Files

Comment

here is the choice I made. I put out some other batteries to compare. Auto, 35 ah, motorcycle, D cells. I can carry this easily with one hand, or more importantly the kids can manage it. In the future, I think the lithium cells are the way to go. They are just meant for repeated cycling, and are so much lighter.

The 35ah agm, did not list CCA, so I don't know if it would jump a car, but I think it would at least charge a dead battery if I left it connected for a while.

Element, nice solar chainsaw video.

-Johnny
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Johnny Test; 11-10-2015, 06:47 AM.

Comment

In the future, I think the lithium cells are the way to go.
                      Lithium is definitely the way to go. But the damn prices aren't moving in the right direction. I've been looking at 100 amp hour lithium-ion deep cycles for my canoe for at least 3 or 4 years and they're still hovering around $1000-1300 everywhere. Some companies, like Braille, are still in the $2000 range. That, to me, is insane!

Yeah - 28 pounds vs 70 pounds is a no brainer. But so is walking into a Walmart or any auto parts store and walking out with a battery for under a hundred bucks. I keep hoping, as they come up with new and better compositions for lithiums, that the older mixes will drop in price. But, again, they ain't movin'!
                      Last edited by MacGyver; 03-31-2016, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Element 79 View Post
                        ... also used it to control the air mattress inflator which can be connected to a section of steel pipe for those times need to turn the campfire into a forced air forge.
                        Love it! An old post of mine. (Third paragraph)

Comment

I agree lithium batteries are too pricey for large scale but they are getting better. Li-ion doesn't work well with existing 12V systems as the voltage is wrong and the need to control each cell individually if in series but LiFePO4 does work as the cells are about 3.2V each so 4 in series will give you 12.8 volts. Exactly the same as the standard lead-acid configuration. Supposedly they are not as dangerous as Li-ion. I haven't experimented with them but have had my eye on some of the 12V packs. Still, they are too expensive. I put up a short video of the campfire forge for all you pyromaniacs. should I include a safety disclaimer here?

Comment

here is the choice I made. I put out some other batteries to compare. Auto, 35 ah, motorcycle, D cells. I can carry this easily with one hand, or more importantly the kids can manage it. In the future, I think the lithium cells are the way to go. They are just meant for repeated cycling, and are so much lighter.

The 35ah agm, did not list CCA, so I don't know if it would jump a car, but I think it would at least charge a dead battery if I left it connected for a while.

Element, nice solar chainsaw video.

-Johnny
                            Thanks Johnny. I like the AGM batteries, should have used one for my main solar unit but wasn't well aware of the fragility of standard "flooded" deep cycle batteries. The unit with the big wheels has little cushioning other than a foam rubber pad under the battery. I roll it around camp, down embankments over rocks and clods, heft it up into the truck, slam it on the ground. Not good for wet cells but the darn things are heavy. Might have something to do with the 3.5 yr short life I got out of my last 100Ah battery. Just replaced it 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Yeah they will. Those jump boxes that are sold just about everywhere have even smaller AGM batteries in 'em and they work.

Comment

Has anybody on this thread mentioned the possibility of not using any electronic stuff? I think that is half the point of camping anyway.

Naturally, some electronics are hard to do without like a cell phone, but for that just get a couple of battery packs that can charge your phone up to six times (check out Amazon). $20 to $30. Other than that, just forget about using electric gadgets.

Comment

Working...
                                X