Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

Honestly I didn't plan/want to have the Honda running all day long. I was really just thinking for cooking in the AM and making a pot of coffee. If it was cold I could also run a electric space heater off it into the Kodiak, but really that would be only to warm the tent up for my family to change clothes and get in their bags.

Camping aside, I live in a area of NJ that is largely quiet and devoid of street lights. I like nothing more then opening up the windows and hearing the crickets and frogs at night. I'm only considering bringing my EU2000i along because I already own it. And at least its a inverter so it really is awfully quiet for a generator. You can stand right on top of it and have a normal conversation no problems.

Comment

Does anyone else have a pic or description of a battery setup for car/ tent camping.???? I am thinking of making a new one and would like to see what all the clever people have already done.

Comment

These photos show our 55AH OPTIMA AGM power supply. It's fused on BOTH ends to prevent "accidents", which of course never happen when camping. 42 lbs, no flammagle gas or acid burns and fits nicely behind one car seat. Note the Wegan three-way plugs with shrink tubing over crimp connectors and quick-disconnect attachments to make portability a breeze and solder-free repairs. Unlike the 15A power-packs, it didn't burn out after hardly a season, and it only takes about that long to pay for itself compared to 3 sets of alkaline batteries for every trip. This is based on a design for an emergency Ham Radio power supply, but sans the battery box and with an AGM instead of a lead-acid design. Circa 2008 and going strong, kept fresh 24/7 on a Schumacher float charger when not in the field:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I use a 35AH sealed lead acid battery with a small modified H/F inverter works great for lighting the tent (I usually don't bring many electronics (occasionally tunes).
          The battery is rechargeable via my vehicle or a small solar setup .
          I use this setup at home for emergency lighting (just plugin any of my (110 volt LED) table lamps) and maintain the charge off season using an old computer ups.
          Enjoy!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-03-2015, 10:17 AM. Reason: LED lamps
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Regarding the generator use during camping. If you're in a tent section or a campground that doesn't cater to "glampers", even the Honda is really loud. Sound carries differently in the "wilds".

As an RV camper, I don't even have a generator. I don't see the need for lots of electrical power. My propane stove/oven, fridge and water heater work great and the tank lasts me many trips. My house battery sees the bulk of its use powering the water pump. Because I have the house battery, I can recharge my phone or laptop (if I even bring or use it) easily, but otherwise I would just use them less and conserve power. I don't need TVs, hair dryers, microwaves, etc.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

All those ideas look good, but 42 lbs seems close to what I had. I want to go lighter. I am thinking more on the lines of a lawn tractor or motorcycle battery size that is deep cycle. I also want to be able to jump a vehicle with it if the need arises.

I will look for the smallest in about 250 cca I can get. I saw some nice lithiums but they r very expensive.

Comment

I have a Peak 900 jump start battery. It has been used on occasion to start a car, but I bought it to run a 12v heater to keep dew off the optics of my telescope. It does that, and it also has a usb port which I have used to charge my cell phone. So it is my primary 12v power supply, and so far I also use it to pump up my air mattress with a 12 v pump. But I also have a Celestron Power tank

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-1877...rds=power+tank

for additional 12v power (It runs my telescope for astronomy.), and it has a nice "red light" and powerful white light flashlight feature as well. It also has power for 6v, 3v, and 9v. I use the 6v power on occasion. Like them both, they recharge easily.

Comment

I have changed nearly everything over to USB charged items. Now, my cell phone, tent lights, flashlights, radios etc. can easily be charged via USB. I also have a little fan that does not have an internal rechargeable battery, but has a USB end so I can run it right from the battery pack. It was a couple of bucks from Dollar General and works great to move a little bit of air around inside the tent.

I carry a few battery packs that are charged up via wall socket before I set out and that can be charged back up while at the campsite with hand cranking (from my Eton radios) or from my two Biolite items (the kettle charger and the little stove.) I can always recharge from my vehicle, too.

Prices have really gone down on the battery packs, btw. A few years ago, I picked up a Motorola battery pack with one USB out that held a single cell phone full charge, and was bought on sale at about $30. I just picked up a compact little $15 Polaroid brand battery pack from Big Lots with 2 USB outs that is supposed to charge two cell phone and a tablet.
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I like how you standardized to usb. very clever. I think I am going to standardize my gear to 12v. And use the cigarette lighter style socket. I already have gear with that, and I will save the weight of an inverter. That socket is big and old school, but it still seems very common.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
                      All those ideas look good, but 42 lbs seems close to what I had. I want to go lighter. I am thinking more on the lines of a lawn tractor or motorcycle battery size that is deep cycle. I also want to be able to jump a vehicle with it if the need arises.

I will look for the smallest in about 250 cca I can get. I saw some nice lithiums but they r very expensive.
                      I agree. We arrived at the OPTIMA solution after trying jump starter boxes like the WEGAN. The issue that arose was that a lighter power supply even close to 55 Ah was 3X the cost of an AGM deep cycle, and the standard WEGAN/DURACELL/PEAK jump starters are designed for short bursts of power (starting design), not slow power draws and recharges (deep cycle). Jumpers give you cca, but the anemic AH won't get us through a day without needing a full recharge. The alternative is combining a smaller deep cycle with a solar-panel re-charger for sunny climates. 55AH was the minimum to operate our charging/entertainment/lighting needs for a 4-day weekend, and 42 lbs. was as light as we could get without moving on to expensive $450-range cells.
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

A hearty recommendation for Powersonic's PDC line of AGM batteries. True deep cycle performance - so far the longest lasting of any AGM I've used - and I've had plenty over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
                          That socket is big and old school, but it still seems very common.
                          They're a bit of a pain to put together because they have to be disassembled, soldered and reassembled, but I've done away with the cigarette lighter plugs in favor of Cinch Jones connectors. Way smaller and more durable.

I have a switch box for three outlets that's about a third of the size that it would be if I'd made it with cigarette lighter jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                            I agree. We arrived at the OPTIMA solution after trying jump starter boxes like the WEGAN. The issue that arose was that a lighter power supply even close to 55 Ah was 3X the cost of an AGM deep cycle, and the standard WEGAN/DURACELL/PEAK jump starters are designed for short bursts of power (starting design), not slow power draws and recharges (deep cycle). Jumpers give you cca, but the anemic AH won't get us through a day without needing a full recharge. The alternative is combining a smaller deep cycle with a solar-panel re-charger for sunny climates. 55AH was the minimum to operate our charging/entertainment/lighting needs for a 4-day weekend, and 42 lbs. was as light as we could get without moving on to expensive $450-range cells.
                            I think you got right to the point in the middle of all that.

Before one decides what way to go, you REALLY have to determine how much power you're going to need.

The Wagan power pack gives me enough power for a 4-day weekend AND still enough for a jump start. For TPLife, it is only good for maybe a day.

How much are you planning on powering? will you supplement with other power sources (e.g., propane gear, disposable battery gear, solar, etc.)?

Figure out how much you need and how much you might want, and THEN find the best solution for your needs.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

"All those ideas look good, but 42 lbs seems close to what I had. I want to go lighter."

That (and the cost) was why I went with a 35 amp hour battery; mine (with the 80 watt inverter) weighs around 25 pounds.
                              I looked hard at garden tractor and motorcycle batteries but decide to go deep discharge. (I had been using four 8 amp hour batteries in parallel in an ammo can, for years successfully, and they were dying on me). Switching from CFL to LED in the tent also saved weight and improved runtime.

Tried a Li-ion pack (13,000 Ma Hr) and a folding (allegedly) 5 Watt solar panel for backpacking; went back to NiMh AA cells and a solar charger (less trouble, less weight, fewer cords).
                              There is no cell service, where I camp and while the inverter has a usb charging port it has never been used.

Everyone is different and has different needs!

(Edit);
                              "Figure out how much you need and how much you might want, and THEN find the best solution for your needs."

... I whole heartedly agree...
                              Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-04-2015, 11:04 AM.
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Our main misgivings with the WEGAN was that it didn't last more than a year before failing to recharge. Research showed that it was designed to provide a lot of power in a short burst, not small amounts over time. WEGAN replaced it under warranty in 2008 and we continue to use it for what it was designed for, jump-starting or a portable tire inflator, and recharging it every 90 days. The OPTIMA, on the other hand, is a dedicated deep-discharge battery, cost 1.5 times as much as the WEGAN 400, but it was purchased in 2008, kept on a trickle charger when not in use, and continues to deliver all its power for our camping needs...after 7 years and counting. We camp together with a fairly large group at times, so our power needs are more than most people are looking for with teenager's charging their phones and video devices, camp 200W mil-spec waterproof stereo system, LED lighting equipment, etc. The WEGAN-type power supplies would never work, no matter what our output needs, because they are not designed to do that from Day 1. We were fooling ourselves to believe these systems were power supplies, hands-on use showed they aren't. Power supplies are everyone's issue, whether you are toting more than one set of C or D-cells to power up a lighting and perhaps a boombox, or up-converting 12 to 19V to run a laptop. Cold temperatures quickly suck the life out of alkalines, tiny power-packs burn out quickly, and lead-acid alternatives leave you cold with holes in your pants, explosive gas hazards and transportation issues. AGM cells offer all the benefits without the hazards and come in a variety of sizes. We hope that time will bring down the cost of the smaller, lighter alternative cell technologies that are just too expensive for us vs. the 42 lb. Optima or its competitors...YMMV.
                                Last edited by tplife; 11-04-2015, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X