DIY First-Aid Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY First-Aid Kit

Timely bump up; just finished re-stocking the first aid kit this week.

2 Epi pens
    Cortaid spray
    Iodine. I bring this mostly to see splinters for easier removal.
    tweezers
    scissors
    aloe vera
    ibuprofen
    hand sanitizer
    pack of sterile rolled gauze
    sterile cotton
    more bandaids than I care to count; I think the kids eat 'em for snacks.
    Neosporin cream
    antiseptic wipes
    eye wash
    calamine lotion (or whatever they call it now; it's still pink)
    benadyrl
    safety pins
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Add braces wax to your kit. If someone loses a filling/cap or chips a tooth, this can be used to keep the air from hitting the nerves - a lifesaver until you can get to a dentist. It will mold around/into the tooth and will stay pliant enough to stick for a while. Also, orabase paste (not the gel). If you get a canker sore or cut in your mouth, the benzocaine will numb it and the paste formula will keep food away from the sore/cut (it actually does "paste" the inside of your lip/cheek to your gum line so nothing penetrates to the sore/cut).

When used, you'll have to re-apply either of these after each meal, but they will usually hold up through a single meal enough to be able to eat without pain. The wax can get you through a weekend until you can get in to see the dentist.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I had the usual injuries covered. Cuts, sunburns, bee stings, sprains... But I got to thinking about drunk people swinging an axe to split wood and it dawned on me that something was seriously missing. So, beyond the usual bandages, antibiotic creams, gauze, etc., this is the latest addition to my kit.

Comment

regardless of size/composition of your FAK,
          should go through it and restock it on occassion,
          especially things with expiration dates ointments/meds etc...
          that 5 yr old tylenol in your kit may be time to toss it
          i use my car kit quite often especially with kids cuts/bruises etc, and find myself low on basics on occassion
          also instead of having a seperate kit for every scenario, i have my home kit, and car kit, in the car kit i have smaller packs of kits that i can grab and go for hiking and such, its part of my car kit, so dont have to duplicate anything

Comment

I used to carry wax and oil of cloves for tooth problems , however both got very old and I stopped carrying them.
            I have thought hard about carrying quick clot or equivalent and decided agains t it at least the early versions could have been hazardous if misused and we have long since learned to keep sharp and heavy blunt objects out of the hands of drunks & stoners...
            I get tempted every year, at kit inventory time, by the military style CAT tourniquets (perhaps a better long term solution as they will not soon reach an expiration date...)
            http://www.amazon.com/Application-To.../dp/B00MA6XVVC

I agree completely about checking expiration dates (every spring) and replacing expired supplies...

Here is the in tent kit still portable but not extremely light...somewhat awkward to belt carry on a day trip (if its not handy/easy to carry it will get left behind...)

TENT KIT, originally XJ(Cherokee) first aid kit- this was made up to fit beneath the rear seat
            of a, now defunct, Jeep Cherokee SUV.

The bag/pouch used was originally a small camera pouch (not sure these are available
            anymore)
            6 band aids, large fabric
            6 fabric knuckle band aids
            6 butterfly band aids/wound closure strips
            12x12 piece of very heavy aluminum foil- for use in splinting fingers... cut to size
            1 small, 35mm film canister sized, roll of high quality duct tape (3M or better) re-rolled
            from large roll
            ace bandage or roll of vetwrap
            1 U.S.G.I. battle dressing , no coagulant
            2 small rollers of sterile gauze
            sterile gauze pads assorted (in zip lock bag)
            6 safety pins,
            space blanket - check every couple of years they can get old and have the aluminum flake off
            1 plastic eye cup
            tweezers
            scissors
            hemostats, mosquito (small)
            1 Swiss army knife small, keychain w/ sharp blade, tweezers, toothpick and scissors
            1 Fresnel magnifier, credit card size
            spare glasses
            eyeglass repair kit

DRUGS;
            lip balm/chapstick,
            aspirin
            chewable antacids/tums
            zantac
            sudefed
            anti diarrhea pills- loperamide hydrocloride, 2mg Note; use with caution some professionals believe intestinal problems are better left to run their course.
            povidone-iodine, 3/4 ounce, Topical/surface applied antiseptic do not take internally
            OPTIONAL antibiotic wipes/providone-iodine, Topical/surface applied antiseptic do not take internallly
            NOTE: this pouch is kept in only one position in only one tote always located in the same place under the same cot; so no hunting is required to find it.

supplies in other places than the camera pouch
            soap
            alcohol
            cravat(sling)- bandanna
            mirror
            sunscreen,
            toilet paper in separate water resistant container
            550 cord
            BIC lighter

NOTE; everyone should be aware of the danger that diarrhea presents to small children and should be aware of oral rehydration therapy
            http://rehydrate.org/ors/
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

Next up; the primary Jeep kit...

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-06-2016, 09:17 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Sine knowledge weighs nothing and can be very valuable in an emergency;
              Here are some links to some of the first aid info that I maintain on the e-book reader;
              Medicine For Mountaineering
              http://www.amazon.com/Medicine-Mount.../dp/1594850763
              https://openlibrary.org/search?q=med...mountaineering
              A Barefoot Doctor's Manual
              https://openlibrary.org/works/OL6821...r's_manual
              1967 Boy Scout Manual
              https://ia800309.us.archive.org/14/i...t71967boys.pdf
              first aid page 310
              First Aid For Soldiers
              https://fas.org/irp/doddir/milmed/soldiers.pdfR
              Red Cross Participant's manual
              http://www.redcross.org/images/MEDIA...art-Manual.pdf

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-07-2016, 05:32 AM.
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                I used to carry wax and oil of cloves for tooth problems , !
                I try to carry cloves of garlic,
                great for meals and great for medicinal purposes
                as an antiseptic, and numbing agent for toothaches
                crushed, wrapped in a gauze pouch, pinched between gum and bad tooth will help alleviate some pain
                i have used that method for a cracked tooth and got me through the weekend until i got to a dentist

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  I had the usual injuries covered. Cuts, sunburns, bee stings, sprains... But I got to thinking about drunk people swinging an axe to split wood and it dawned on me that something was seriously missing. So, beyond the usual bandages, antibiotic creams, gauze, etc., this is the latest addition to my kit.

I found that the $2.99 rubber mallet works well for this. When the drunk heads over for the chain saw/ax/whatever, hit him on head with rubber mallet. No blood loss.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    I found that the $2.99 rubber mallet works well for this. When the drunk heads over for the chain saw/ax/whatever, hit him on head with rubber mallet. No blood loss.

...Whack a Mole anyone?....
                    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                      I try to carry cloves of garlic,
                      great for meals and great for medicinal purposes
                      as an antiseptic, and numbing agent for toothaches
                      crushed, wrapped in a gauze pouch, pinched between gum and bad tooth will help alleviate some pain
                      i have used that method for a cracked tooth and got me through the weekend until i got to a dentist
                      For certain tooth pain whole cloves or brandy numbs too. Of course the brandy is only for medicinal purposes.

Going through these lists I decided to add a digital thermometer. Last year each of the lil ones were sick at different times during the trip. One specifically felt a thermometer had magical properties.
                      Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-06-2016, 05:17 PM.
                      2017:

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        ...Whack a Mole anyone?....
                        This game is Drop a Drunk...

Comment

If camping with a dog remember a first aid kit for the dog. My vet gave us a list of items and dosages he recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                            This game is Drop a Drunk...
                            Well for what it's worth that's easy enough:ange:.

All this blather reminds me that I need to find and pack our Ladder Golf game. Different topic but yeah that's how ma mind works.
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                              If camping with a dog remember a first aid kit for the dog. My vet gave us a list of items and dosages he recommended.
                              My most important items in a first aid kit for the dog are:

Solid 6ft leather leash - prevents dogs from getting into many places that can cause injury
                              Rabies certificates - prevents dogs from having to be quarantined if they get bit or if they bite
                              Spare collar - in case one breaks or gets damaged

The rest is really stuff that I use for myself - bufferin, benedryl, bandages (I always have the self sticky bandages too),etc. I don't include anti-diarrhea meds as they can do more harm than good if you don't know why the dog is having issues.
                              Tick remover - comes in handy for people too. Get the type that holds closed on the tick while you twist it out (easier than trying to twist while holding the handles closed)

I also keep a bunch of the cheap nylon "groomer leashes" in the RV. These have a metal ring at one end so you can make a loop to go over the dogs' head. They help a lot in rescue situations, as well as containing someone else's loose dog if it causes problems, and to help hold down a dog in distress (e.g, while trying to remove porcupine quills), etc.

Comment

It got too hot to work in the garage so I figured that I would inventory the vehicle FAK (first aid kit)
                                its the largest most comprehensive of my kits and resides in a short/small 50 cal. ammo can.

in no particular order...
                                6 latex gloves.
                                12 yards of 1/2 inch adhesive tape (must have had it given to me I don't care for the stuff, personally)
                                2 35mm film can sized rolls of high quality duct tape (rerolled from large roll).
                                2 battle dressing (no coagulant)
                                2 bandage; compressed muslin, 37 x 37 x 52 inches
                                6 medium safety pins
                                2 BIC lighter
                                4 2cc vials benzalkonium cloride tincture
                                60 500mg tablets acetaminophen
                                40 tablets aspirin
                                12 tablet s zantac
                                1 4 inch roller gauze
                                2 3 inch roller gauze
                                6 2 inch roller gauze
                                1 cake soap, surgical 50 gm. w/2% hexachlorophene
                                1 oral thermometer
                                5 blades surgical prep straight
                                1 gauze compress 2"x3"
                                1 gauze bandage 4 inch x 6 yds.
                                1 gauze bandage 3 inch x 6 yds.
                                1 compress gauze, 4"x4"
                                18 fabric band aids 3/4"x3"
                                1 first aid eye dressing; 2 eye pads, 2 packets adhesive strips, 2 tubes ophthalmic ointment
                                10 ampules ammonia inhalant solution
                                1 large first aid dressing Carlisle model
                                1 Sam Splint "pocket cast"
                                1.5 oz. sunblock
                                4 oz. providone-iodine solution
                                1 ace bandage
                                5 4"x4" sterile gauze pad
                                4 3"x3" non adhering dressing
                                1 1oz tube petroleum jelly
                                16 alcohol pads/wipes
                                10 fabric knuckle band aids
                                10 fabric butterfly band aids
                                one credit card size Fresnel lens (magnifier)
                                1 scissors
                                1 hemostat mosquito
                                6 bars fuel compressed trioxane for fire starting in nearly any weather
                                1 eye cup
                                Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-11-2016, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X