• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY First-Aid Kit

Truer words have never been spoken.

Comment

Check out this article about a very basic 1st aid skill that we all need, and how to start teaching children 1st aid. http://thefamilycampingwebsite.com/?s=bleeding

Comment

Don't forget moleskin especially if you are doing any hiking.

Comment

I have bought several FAK's and none of them have things I use. Like mole skin for instance. And pain relievers. It's more expensive up front to make your own, but you have enough supplies left over to make enough for every pack you have.

Comment

Great advice, never would have thought of an eye patch or anything for your teeth. Hopefully, those things aren't on your list from experience!

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              We actually carry a small and a larger kit, one for hiking and one for camp. I'm Medic 1st Aid and CPR certified (a monkey can learn this stuff!) for the sake of the kids. We go a little "far out", so our first aid kit does as well, including a scalpel and sutures. Tp's mother is still working in the ER at 72, so he's gotten good advice regarding his kit. We don't pack iodine, as it kills bacteria but won't clean the wound. Simply flushing with water to clean the wound is a better treatment, and applying bacitracin or neomycin can keep the wound lubricated and prevent it from sticking to the covering bandage. We don't pack snake bite kits, as case studies show they are ineffective and sometimes dangerous to use by inviting infection and causing more cell death in the bite area than would otherwise result. We do keep our old snake bite kit at home as an oddity as it looks pretty cool...

I would advise you to check out the Sawyer Extractor for use on snake bites as well as other biting or stinging creatures. I have first hand knowledge of the Extractors ability and unlike the old snake bite kits you do not need to cut into the wound which could cause nerve damage and promote infection. They sell these things at camp-mor for about 15 bucks and I think I saw them at Walmart for 12 dollars. Back in the mid 90's I was on a backpacking trip with a group of scouts when one of them was bitten by a copperhead. One of the adults on our trip had just bought an Extractor and he immediately put it to use. After getting the scout in question to a hospital several hours later the Dr. on duty was impressed with the Extractor and credited it with keeping the scout from getting very sick or even worse he could have died. After that each scout in our troop had to carry an Extractor in his personal first aid kit and we reviewed the proper use of it several times a year. I have never been in a situation like this since then and I hope to never be again but I will never set foot in a place where poisonous creatures live with out one. I keep one in each of my vehicles, in our family first aid kit and we each carry one when we backpack or just go day hiking. Might be a little overkill but I believe in this thing and I have read reviews from others who have used it and they all have one thing in common that is a happy ending.

Comment

So thankful I found this site...SO much helpful and USEFUL info!
                Thank you all!
                Chuck

Comment

Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

i may seen lokie a chooch for responding to such an old thread but i need to give my 2 cents worth on this subject.
                    put your first aid kit at the top of your pack and topped with a poncho. the pocho being at the top of your pack is a two fold strategy. !st and foremost is in case of rain. 2nd in case you or one of your companions get hurt use the ponco to cover him/her to help prevent him/her from going into shock.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1294.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	69529

Here is an image of DIY First-Aid Kit
                      RV Park Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                        Having had various 'first aid' kits, of many sizes, for years, I finally got to do a 'real world test'. I ended up with several rather bad infected skin sores on my right leg. Being into the 'prepper' lifestyle, I decided to 'self doctor' as if TSHTF and no doctor (and no modern meds) was available. I kept a close eye on things in case I did have to go in.....
                        So, basically I used Povidone Iodine for wound cleaning and germ killing, a few different brands of Antibacterial ointments - Neosporin, Polysporin and the generic Publix store brand. Pain came and went, no sign of going 'septic', but some major clear liquid drainage and the scabbing would get soft at times.
                        I'd wash it good with hot soapy water when bathing, dry it well, then treat with Povidone and the ointment, then wrap with three 4X4 gauze pads taped end to end (the wounds covered a fair sized area), and tape around the leg top & bottom. Eventually the drainage stopped, and real healing began. The scabbing would peal in places, especially after a good washing. Now, all scabs are gone, and it's healed.
                        I went through a good many (used three 25-pack boxes) tripled 4X4's, three rolls of one inch cloth white medical tape and half an 8 0z. bottle of Povidone (used liberally, but never on deep penetrating wounds!) and two small tubes of ointment. Wiped out the stock I had in my big Medical Box (large red plastic toolbox) - so I learned I need to store a LOT more of these items! As the wounds got smaller, I used some extra-large 3X4 inch bandades - but these never seem to stick well, and fall off too easily. Best to tape them.
                        So, you can bet I am repacking my smaller camping/motorcycling FA pouches. This was wih a fairly non-mobility threatening skin injury, NOT a deeper wound that would entail bloodloss and much more pain.
                        Any "First Aid Kit" is a compromise on what you can carry, and what you expect to encounter. We can't prepare or carry enough for EVERY possible injury, but I did learn some useful info.
                        I also pack a small snakebite kit (this IS wild Florida after all!) and a dental emergency kit.
                        A small flashlight or head light can be invaluable, and some saline solution if you have the carry capacity. Tent poles can double as splints.

In a pinch, any clean fabric and some Duck Tape can make a 'field expedient bandage' - been there, done that!
                        With all due respects, BigDog57, your post is a perfect example of what NOT to do long term. Obviously, cleaning and bandaging is a good thing to do in the field, but if you have a serious wound and you have access to modern medical treatment take the time, and spend the money on going to see a doctor. I had a friend who self-doctored himself with "boxes of bandages and multiple tubes of anti-bacterial cream". He lost his finger and part of his hand AND it could have been worse.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                          We actually carry a small and a larger kit, one for hiking and one for camp. I'm Medic 1st Aid and CPR certified (a monkey can learn this stuff!) for the sake of the kids. We go a little "far out", so our first aid kit does as well, including a scalpel and sutures. Tp's mother is still working in the ER at 72, so he's gotten good advice regarding his kit. We don't pack iodine, as it kills bacteria but won't clean the wound. Simply flushing with water to clean the wound is a better treatment, and applying bacitracin or neomycin can keep the wound lubricated and prevent it from sticking to the covering bandage. We don't pack snake bite kits, as case studies show they are ineffective and sometimes dangerous to use by inviting infection and causing more cell death in the bite area than would otherwise result. We do keep our old snake bite kit at home as an oddity as it looks pretty cool...

Jeeze, do they still sell these old snake-bite kits? or is this photo an antique? I think my Dad had one from the Korean War days. TPLIFE is correct in suggesting NOT to bring one of these. Virtually none of the equipment provided is recommended by modern medical professionals:

-Tourniquet on a swelling wound!! OMG. The cure is worse than the bite.
                          -a razor to cut an X to suck out the poison. How many jokes have been made about this method? Once again, the cure worse than the bite.
                          ?/

Comment

-a couple of antihistamine tablets can be life savers or at least make a miserable trip tolerable.

-Sting ointment can be a big help not only for bee stings but for when a kid gets overwhelmed by mosquito bites.

-Tiger Balm is excellent for relieving sore muscles AND mosquito bites, bee stings, and stinging nettle, even applied to temples can help headaches.

-Chemical ice-packs that you bash and shake are good for cooling down a beer in and emergency.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              With all due respects, BigDog57, your post is a perfect example of what NOT to do long term. Obviously, cleaning and bandaging is a good thing to do in the field, but if you have a serious wound and you have access to modern medical treatment take the time, and spend the money on going to see a doctor. I had a friend who self-doctored himself with "boxes of bandages and multiple tubes of anti-bacterial cream". He lost his finger and part of his hand AND it could have been worse.
                              You missed the point entirely.....
                              "...I decided to 'self doctor' as if TSHTF and no doctor (and no modern meds) was available. I kept a close eye on things in case I did have to go in....."
                              It was a decision to see IF the home medical stuff would work, if needed. Otherwise, no sense whatsoever even having it. I did keep a close eye on things, in case a doctor's visit were needed. A 'controlled experiment' of sorts. It worked. It taught me what I needed to stock and focus on for a similar problem in future.
                              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Since the subject (DIY first aid kit came up in another thread;
                                http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...helter&p=43994

I thought that I would revive this thread rather than start an new one or highjack the screen house thread...

First responder training is highly recommended (check where you work you may be able to get it for free, maybe even get paid to take it).

I typically break our First Aid Kits in to three or four levels of portability/complexity;

EDC (every day carry) this I have on me at all times.
                                6 large fabric band aids (preferably Zee brand (I get these from a commercial first aid kit re-supplier) although most brands work pretty well)... carry these in your wallet or purse.
                                These can be used for many relatively minor cuts both leaks and drippers (I used to be a sheet metal worker so I have had a lot of experience with leaks drips and occasionally squirt level cut.

NOTE; if a cut squirts it is likely arterial and needs pressure and professional treatment IMO transport to a professional care facility.

Large fabric band aids can also be cut up (I carry a scalpel sharp Swiss Army Knife (SAK) every where except on air planes and into courthouses) and used a s butterfly band aids to close cuts that should be stitched.
                                A clean handkerchief is #2 in my EDC first aid list; can be used as an expedient bandage.
                                a small pill bottle of aspirin (10 or so) (useful from headache to heart attacks)...

Personally I believe that a reasonable First Aid Kit should be able to handle relatively extreme circumstances; your basic ouch will rarely endanger a life...

My second level of portability/next level of complexity is the hiking kit; I carry this in a pair of military compass/battle dressing pouches, in order of most often needed by my friends and strangers ( I rarely need this stuff personally);
                                6 more Large fabric band aids for cuts
                                1 four inch wide roll of vetwrap (cheaper to give away than ace bandages) for wrapping sprains strains etc.
                                A small (35 mm film canister sized) roll of high quality duct tape (re-roll from a commercial roll of duct tape (3M or better)). works far better than old style adhesive tape; and can be used to stabilize relatively major splints, or tear a piece length wise to tape a minor, non-compound (no exposed bone) broken finger to the unbroken one next to it.
                                A small bottle (1/10 oz. or so) of 10% providone iodine topical antibiotic solution (triple antibiotic is a waste of time for me (your experience may be different) and/or 3 to 5 10% providone iodine topical antibiotic wipes (I get these from a commercial first aid kit re-supplier)
                                1 plastic eyecup (for use with clean, preferably sterile, water, to remove/wash foreign particles, sand, dirt etc. from eyes). As an alternative a clean palm (cupped hand of clean water may also work).
                                1 chapstick
                                1 small roller of gauze.
                                6 each small and medium safety pins.
                                A very small Swiss Army Knife with a scalpel sharp blade, tweezers, toothpick and small scissors (this one was free as a sales giveaway).
                                1 GI battle dressing (without coagulant) so far not used but could save a life.
                                1 approximately 30" x 30" bandanna used by me as a colorful hatband (ask any old school boy scout about its first aid utility; from expedient bandage to sling 1000 uses... not just for first aid).

I will try to inventory and post the contents of the vehicle first aid kit soon...

Enjoy!
                                Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-05-2016, 08:05 PM.
                                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                                X