Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Delaware Area

Hey all,

I am on the search for a campground near water (preferably a stream or small river) that is kid friendly within an hour or two of northern Delaware. Hoping someone had some suggestions.

Re: Camping Delaware Area

I live in Delaware, i'm down near the DE river in townsend. I'm not sure of many camping areas close. I usually go down to Cape Henlopen state park to camp near the beach.
    There is a camp ground in sussex....this one http://www.gnrcampground.com/ but i've never been there. I dont know anything about it.
    Apparently, they have RV camping, tent camping, cottages, etc.....
    this site says it has play areas and stuff so it sounds like i might be a pretty good place.

Comment

Re: Camping Delaware Area

I'm in north-east Maryland. I highly recommend Cape Henlopen state park in Delaware. You're not right on the beach, you're in the sand dunes. But it is so beautiful there. And you can easily walk or drive to the beach at the park or anywhere along the coast. There are lots of activities for kids at the nature center, or just hang out on the beach all day. You're a little over a miles from Lewes, Delaware which is a very small, cute, quaint town. You can head there for dinner by the canal and end the day with homemade ice cream. If you and your family bike, it's a nice 8 mile ride to Rehoboth on a rail/trail, completely bypassing Rt 1 and the outlets. Oh, and if it rains, just drive 1/2 mile and catch the ferry to spend the day at Cape May.

Another alternative is Elk Neck State Park in Maryland, near Elkton and North East. Depending on when you're thinking of going, you could score a site in the Miles loop right on the water. The campground is on a ridge above the river, so you can't swim there, but it's a beautiful view. (Sunrises and moonlight are gorgeous.) You can take a short walk down to a "beach" area, where the kids could play in the sand. And the park does have a real beach, about a mile drive from the campground, which is very popular. Oh, and each camping loop at Elk Neck has extensive playground equipment. It's a very family-friendly campground.

As far as any campgrounds where you might have the ambience of being right next to a gurgling stream, I can't think of any south of you. You might try researching the state parks and private campgrounds just north of King of Prussia in PA though. That would be an easy drive for you on 95/495. I haven't explored that area yet, so I can't recommend anything specific.
      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Working...
      X