X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photography Suggestions For Camping Forums

How do I use albums?
    As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.
    Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.
    • Public albums can be viewed by anyone
    • Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
    • Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)

How do I upload pictures?
    Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Pictures'.
    You'll have the option to give each picture a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Pictures'.

All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.

When you have uploaded a picture, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.

the absolute easiest and fastest way to post pics in a thread where you don't need to figure out the codes (you can learn them later) is to store your photos free at Webshots, or Photobucket, Flickr, Picasa. They post the code under every picture so you would just copy and paste this code into the message. The code to copy starts with
    < this bracket

then this 'img src'without the quote marks

then =

then post the URL here

then close with this bracket>

The one thing you should also do is change the pic size so it is not too big. Photobucket gives you an edit button above every pic and your final pic should be around 100k or less. I just hit the REDUCE BY 50% button and that usually does it for me.

To post by typing the HTML code yourself: ...First you must post your pictures in an online album like , etc.

Then you use the code

< this bracket

then this 'img src'without the quote marks

then =

then post the URL here

then close with this bracket>

To get the URL of a picture go to your album picture and right click on the full size picture. Left click on properties and copy the ENTIRE URL address from that window. Then go to the above code and take out the words URLofpicture and paste in what you copied. You can practise posting at the test forum test forum A couple of hints: Make sure you get the entire URL...some can be quite long and snapfish you need to get all 3 lines so pull your cursor past the first two so that you can copy the hidden 3rd line. Snapfish's URL's usually end in the letters si.

Make sure you type the code correctly..a lot of people mix up src and type scr and it will not work!

How do I attach a file to a post?
    To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
    On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
    To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
    Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
    What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
    In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
    How do I add an image to a post?
    If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
    To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-17-2011, 01:02 AM. Reason: adding info
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Photography Suggestions For Camping Forums

I'm using Photoshop CS5 (RAW) but what I'm going to show you will work with any other level of Photoshop, jpgs too including #2 the level I actually started with.

1. Open an image in the editor. Once you have everything ready, your final image.
    2. Go to, the Image tab and choose image size, click that.
    3. Change the size to 900x600 pixels.
    4. Then go to the file tab and click that.
    5. Scroll down till you find "Save for Web & Devices" click that.
    6. A dialogue box will appear. Select jpeg as image saved as.
    7. When you attempt to save the image another dialogue box will appear and it should ask you to save it as a separate document. Also need to change the kb setting in the dialogue box to 100kb or less. In the save as dialogue box you may make a new folder to find your image easily and name it CF or whatever you want: "Joe's camping pics".....then click save as. You just created a new document.
    8. Then go back to your reduced image in editor and close it. A dialogue box will appear and ask if you want to save your pic in it's new image size.
    9. Click NO! Your image will revert back to it's original state and the editor will close.
    10. Now in CF when you are writing your comments and want to insert an image, open a second tab in your browser.
    11. Go to your document folder, find your image then usually just copy and paste your web-saved image and that's all there is to it. OR
    12. In CF comments scroll down to attachments and click attachments.
    13. A dialogue box will appear and ask you if you want to get an image from your computer. Click yes.
    14. Select your Documents Folder, find your image and double click the image. It will appear as a file number. Preview your response to make sure you have the correct image. Once satisfied click okay and in a few moments your image will appear as a thumbnail.
    15. If you want to use a third party like flicker or photobucket, go ahead. but when you upload your image to them use your document web-ready re-sized image. It'll save you tons of space on their server and you won't ever have to pay for a membership to them because you are using only your web ready images. (it's a little trick)! I have been a uploading images to photobucket ever since I was vegasdesertfox, like four years running and have never ran over my quota for the month, during any month as long as you upload web-ready images. Then copy your image from them and insert your image where you want to in your comments. And I'm your uncle fox!
    16. For an example any RAW file after I placed it through the High Dynamic Range processor(Photomatrix) and then tonemapped it back in Photoshop CS5 usually has an image size of over 143mb per image. When I save is as a web-ready image(jpg)and in it's own doc folder it is reduced to 2.5mb per image.
    17. I usually then go into my computer's main file and delete all the steps except the original raw files & the "web-ready" image. This saves space on the hard drive. When working with images that have 43mb or more per image it take up a huge amount of space on anyone's hard drive. BTW: my hard drive is 750GB. A couple of times during the learning curve to understanding HDR/Tonemapping I came close to maxing out 750GBs.
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-27-2011, 02:09 AM. Reason: adding info

Comment

Re: Photography Suggestions For Camping Forums

Copied from GlitterHiker with her permission! Thank you for your support!

GlitterHiker
      Here's how I uploaded the photos. I hope this helps someone. It seems complicated, but it isn't; just a series of steps. I did absolutely no editing.

I'm on a MacBook Pro. (But don't let the name fool you - I am technically illiterate and have no idea what I'm doing.)
      I'm on OS X (10.4.11); using iPhoto 6. (I have not upgraded to iLife 11 even though it's been out for two years ...)

On my computer:
      In iPhoto, I click on thumbnail of the photo. In the menu bar, select from the top menu: "File", then "Export"

In the pop-up window, I keep the default settings:
      File Export
      Format: original
      Full-size images
      I select export

I get another window, where I can name my photo and select where I'll save it on my hard drive. I click "OK" and it exports to my hard drive.

Posting the pic on this forum:
      On the forum here, once I'm ready to type a post, I select "Go Advanced" (the button is below the box where you type in your message)

Underneath the box where you type in your message, click on "Manage Attachments"

A pop-up window opens. It's titled: "File Upload Manager".

Select "Add Files" (the button is at the top right).

Now I get an additional window titled "Upload Files From Your Computer" and I click on the button "Select Files".

That gives a pop-up window where I can browse through my hard drive. I click on the photos I want and click "Select". The names of the photos magically appear in that "Upload Files From Your Computer" window.

Click the button "Upload Files" and wait while they upload. A blue line shows the progress.

Now, a little image of each photo magically appears in the "Attachments" box of the "File Upload Manager".

Select "Insert Online". The photos get inserted into your post. Be sure you have your cursor where you want the photos to go. You'll see a list of numbers in your post, but once you choose "preview post", then you can see the photos.
      Total nights this year spent tent camping / sleeping outdoors: 21 nights / 11 outings!
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-27-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X