Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I learned on my minimalist camping trip this weekend ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I learned on my minimalist camping trip this weekend ...

Did a two day, one night trip to French Creek State Park in PA this weekend.
    I have some backpacking gear I wanted to try out, but wanted to be in an established campground in case anything went wrong. It was 33 degrees with winds about 10-15 mph winds ...

1. My CAT stove works great. I used denatured alcohol and was able to boil water in about 3 minutes. I just have to practice with different amounts of alcohol in order to know how much to use to cook different things.

2. My Sierra Designs lightning tent is super easy to set up. Haven't tried it in the rain but worked well in 10-15 mph winds

3. Layers work I didn't bring my heater since the tent was so small and it wouldn't fit in my backpack. I have a campmor self inflating pad, that I put under one of those wally world blue pads and it worked great. Did not feel the ground cold at all so I was able to keep warm with my coleman 15 degree bag (brought an extra one just in case).

4. Last but not least ... I was HUNGRY! I have to pick up some MRE's and try them. I am an eater and the stuff I brought (except for the oatmeal) was not enough. I brought a package of Ramen noodles, a package of tuna helper (minus the tuna), instant mashed potatoes, 3 pieces of bread, some peanut butter & coffee. All the food was in zip loc bags to reduce weight. Oh ... cowboy coffee stinks! The caffeine rush was good, but the grounds did not all sink to the bottom and were gross. Maybe I'll have to try the coffee bags.

5. I brought the dog with me, and she was not happy. It was too cold for her at night. She is used to snuggling in her bed. I won't bring her again until it's a little warmer. She had a 15 degree bag.

I would say all in all it was a success. Next I try two nights out on the trail in the Kittatinny Mtns. That's next month. That will be a "real" backpacking trip. Any tips from backpackers on here are always appreciated
    Attached Files

Re: What I learned on my minimalist camping trip this weekend ...

I'm not a food expert and have never done any type of minimalistic camping but I would think that you need more protein in there to not be hungry. Carbs burn pretty quickly.
    May you always have love to share,
    Health to spare
    And friends that care.

Comment

My wife and I really enjoy good coffee, and we have an insulated stainless coffee press that makes probably 48 oz or so. Makes great coffee, and all you need is hot water -- which is easy on the camp stove.
      Our Rig....
      2012 Ford F-150 Crew-Cab Truck w/Ecoboost (just purchased, new photo soon)
      Nomad Joey 246 Travel Trailer, 24ft, 3 bunks, Queen, no slides, no foldouts - Floorplan
      RempRack Pickup Bed Bike Rack (5 bikes)
      sigpic
      Camping and Biking with Family! The BEST!

Comment

I echo the need for more protein. Any grocery store has the foil packets of meat - Tuna, Salmon, Chicken, etc - that can be added to rice or noodles. Light weight and can be carried most anywhere. MRE's are very concentrated, so you need to make sure you get plenty of liquids, otherwise you do the 'John Wayne' the next day........
        Walmart carries the chemical heater packets - from small to larger sizes. Open one and follow the instructions to start the reaction about an hour before turning in - it takes a bit of time to come to full heat. I put one down in the foot of the bag and another under my upper body separated by thin clothing.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks for your answers everyone. I figured the peanut butter would help with the protein, but I don't think enough. I am going to have to look for a coffee press and the foil packets of meat. I DO NOT know exactly what you mean by the "John Wayne" Bigdog but I think I get the gist of it

Thanks!!

Comment

One of my 'go to' meals for 'minimalist' camping is a packet of 'Ready To Eat Rice' and a packet of meat - very filling and easy to prepare, just add a bit of water and heat it! Keep stirring to prevent it sticking to the pot. The foil packets can be burned in your campfire - no muss, no fuss! :cool:
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I did a couple of tent/car camping outings over the winter. Yep, once I mastered the art & science of layering, I was much happier.

On the other hand, I too have not mastered eating. I don't bring along enough food, and/or enough of the right stuff.

Also, did you eat dinner right before bedtime? I found eating right before bed helps keep me warm.

I haven't attempted backpacking yet, so can't offer any advice there.
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I always bring dehydrated food. There are actually some very tasty choices out there.

Comment

Hi glitter .. I did eat about an hour before I went to bed. I wasn't cold. The layers worked -- even my sleeping system layers -- thermarest self infating mat on the ground with a wally world blue mat on top and my sleeping bag on top of that.

Hey Gordy -- I just picked up a dehydrator on ebay and will try dehydrating my own food. I'll let you know how it works

Comment

I think you're confused - dehydrated foods require seasoning and cooking and are typically single-item like jerky or fruit. Freeze-dried foods are muti-ingredient, already seasoned and only require adding water and cooking for 10 minutes. We only use our dehydrators for jerky, fruit and vegetables for use in asian cuisine. You don't want me to tell you how much a home freeze dryer setup will cost you, seriously. I believe you're referring to freeze-dried foods.
                    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Good point tp!
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hi TP -- I picked up the dehydrator to make beef jerky and for some fruits & veggies. I figure the beef jerky will help with getting more protein and it has to taste better home made than some of the store bought stuff!

Comment

Nice Dog!!

Comment

Working...
                          X