Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

traveling from ny to montana or wyoming. places to camp and other advice appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traveling from ny to montana or wyoming. places to camp and other advice appreciated

Looking to get out west this summer. August 15 - aug 30 th or so. I am interested in scenic drives with camping throughout. Enjoy secluded campgrounds as well as visits to small towns with a tavern or two to get some drinks and food in. I plan on spending a lot of time hiking as well as soaking in the mountains. Will be on a limited budget (aren't we all) Any suggestions for that amount of time out in mt or wyo? what airport to fly into? wht roads to travel? campgrounds to stay in? taverns to visit? would need a car rental. I know this is very vague, but I haven't visited this part of the west yet. I would love to hear from someone firsthand and not doing random searches and coming up with tourism sites that are hyped up by advertisement. Any ideas would be welcomed and appreciated! Have a great night and camp on!!!

Re: traveling from ny to montana or wyoming. places to camp and other advice appreci

I would first decide on which state to visit, proximity to an air port if you must fly. As far as Wyoming goes the only thing you need to know is "the Wind River mountain range" look it up, it's awesome. I live in Montana and the western 1/2 is mountains and the eastern 1/2 is plains land. The north west and south west parts of Montana are real green and pretty, until august, then everything turns brown. Glacier national park is a must see if you decide on nw Montana.
    http://www.overlandadventureoutfitters.com

Comment

Re: traveling from ny to montana or wyoming. places to camp and other advice appreci

Wyoming: Wind River mountain range. Montana: go North West or South West.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Any small towns, (where I could grab a cheap motel and beer) that you would suggest in between camping? I believe most of the land up in the NW of Montana is national forest. I am an east coaster and was wondering if once you get into these areas if you can camp where you please. I would love to not have a bunch of plans or reservations. I would like a couple of specicic places to check out without having to be stuck to reservations. After checking air fare, I will prob. be driving from NY. Anyone ever stayed in the firetower and or cabins up in Montana. I would want to be able to have my Honda Element with me with all of my provisions. Backpacking days are over for a while (bad back) but love to day hike and or paddle. Info appreciated in advance and have an awesome day! BH

Comment

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...reas-(Yr-Round) As far as small towns goes Montana only has 5 what I call city's, population from 30,000 to 150,000 people. The rest of the state is small towns 1- 5,000 people, which you wouldn't have any trouble in finding a great local brew and a pillow. National forest you can camp dispersed 100 feet off any dirt road. Checking out the surrounding areas of Glacier National park is worth while. By chance do happen to fly fish, Montana is the mecca of north American fly fishing.

Comment

Hey Wardrow or anyone else reading this - Thanks for all of the info. I am so psyched I found this forum. It has helped a great deal already. Nothing like first hand advice, especially when dealing with outdoor rural spots. Any particular towns that you would suggest? I was thinking about making my way to Flathead NF and then Kootenai. Hitting glacier at some point as well.I Am trying to get info on the fire tower situation to rent for 3 or so days and then wander from there. Any particular towns that you would suggest? Or other specific places to check out. As always thank you in advance and have a great day!!

Comment

The Flathead area is a beautiful area. Don't be so concerned with trying to check out so many places, Montanans move a more relaxed pace than the rest of the US. Go with the flow, It's about the journey not the destination!

Comment

Cooke City right off the north east corner of Yellowstone is only about an hours drive from some great Bear Tooth Mountain Camping Country with great chain lake fishing. Only about an hour and a half from Cody an hour and a half off the east entrance of Yellowstone.

Comment

Working...
                X