Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Camping Chairs

Howdy Campateers!
    When looking for a new set of chairs for camping, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, your chairs should not take up a ton of room in your car or truck. One of the important elements of camping is packing in a way that allows you to have room for everything you need. If you have big, bulky chairs, you might run out of room for other, more important elements that will make you trip comfortable. A good camping folding chair will fold down very small and fit in the tightest of spaces as well as be extremely lightweight.

Many people think that if they buy a portable folding chair, it will not be large enough to be comfortable. However, there are many styles of folding chairs today that are lightweight, easy to fold down and very large and comfortable. Some styles even have padding to make the experience a little more comfortable. The best part about these camping chairs is usually the price. For a very reasonable cost, you can have all new, wonderful large camping chairs to take out with your family this year. You will be amazed at how much more comfortable your camping experience will be with a couple of really nice, large camping chairs.

Perhaps this is the year that you should consider getting rid of all of those outdated, metal chairs that take up too much room and are not comfortable to sit on at all. Perhaps you have chairs that don't even fold up, which can make packing a real pain. Instead, take a little money and invest in chairs that will be easy to put up and take down, simple to transport and, most importantly, very comfortable to sit on. These can be found at many stores all over the place.

It seems a little simplistic but it's true, and yes, the links are to Coleman Portable Chairs which I really like. Camping chairs can and do take up valuable space when packing for a trip. Like ours for example...I have packed and loaded some nine different chairs for our tent camping pleasure, and all in the space of a jeep Grand Cherokee! Well...no more! I'm only packing two chairs from here on out. We are still looking for the perfect chair. So as a forum goes any ideas will be greatly appreciated, it's just my $0.02 and would love to hear about your 2 cents, if you have the time! Thanks for looking and spending some time with me!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 01-10-2011, 01:15 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Suggestions on Camping Chairs

For me, size does matter! I am 'bigger than the average bear'. So, after having tried a multitude of different chairs, I found the Coleman MAX chair, sold at Wally's for about thirty bucks, is the best! Folded size is about 29" by 6" diameter in it's own bag. Weight maybe 8 pounds or so? Comes in red, green and dark blue. Wide seat, without the painful 'pressure points' that hit my thighs on smaller chairs. A decent height, so easy for older and fatter campateers to get up out of. Has two cup holders, but they are mesh and seem to tip too much with tall water bottles.
    Setup and take-down are very easy - they just fold and unfold! Includes an attatched nylon strap with QD buckle to keep it safely folded.
    Works for me! I got two of them. :cool:
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Our favorite is the old fashion folding aluminum lawn chair with the webbing. Solid, strong, portable and easy to get in & out of. Hard to find today, but do last. (An you can't find them anywhere) The newer ones in a bag that telescope out with the canvas seats take less room to pack, but are hard to get out of and to us aren't really that comfortable. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

I carry this one everywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e0feab59-8368-424f-8513-b672f49d6d05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	69234
        JohnJohn
        ---------
        Forum Admin

Comment

I like all of those mentioend above but last winter I found a recliner that folds up and has a pillow. It is bulky but......it is perfect for a nap in front of the lake in the sun. I usually take my bag chairs for fishing and campfire time.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn View Post
            I carry this one everywhere.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2865[/ATTACH]
            I like the idea of these stools, lightweight, small and folds up nicely,
            but i find it is not comfortable on my "male parts"

I use this chair for backpacking:
            http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...BA_4P1azm0XtCQ

This is the 4 leg version, it cost about $100. It's about the same size/weight as the stool.
            Its a little pricy, but after years working in the plumbing industry and doing extreme sports, my knees/ feet/ body/ etc ache. it's well worth the $ esp after a long day of hiking with a heavy pack on my back.

There is a 2 leg version for about $70.
            but you HAVE to balance in it and I found it difficult to get in and out after a long day.

Comment

I was glad to see that someone else sees the need for chairs for different purposes

DH needs big people chairs, I need small people chairs - these work for us
              Two Northwest Territory Rockers - these go up against the trailer under the awning (outdoor equivalent of the living room)
              http://www.kmart.com/northwest-terri...6&blockType=G6

2 folding chairs like this and a 4" folding table to eat on since picnic tables don't work well if you are mobility challenged. One chair can be used for DH if we need to eat inside on TV trays as we keep the dinette in bed mode. These go outside the door under the edge of the awning (ourdoor equivalent of the dining room)
              http://www.kmart.com/northwest-terri...7&blockType=G7

2 of last years red/tan version of the Coleman Lumbar Chair with thrift store seat cushions added on the seat - very comfy and makes it sag less. These go by the campfire (outdoor equivalent of the den)
              http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Lumbar-Chair/23374756

The first two can be seen in my avatar
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                I don't carry folding chairs anymore! Yippee!!!!! I love not carrying folding chairs. Now I use a hammock chair. Also known as the Wilderness Camp Chair It cost $5 to make (or free if you have an old tent to cut up) and it's one of the most comfortable chairs I've ever sat in, You can fit 4 of them in the palm of your hand scrunched up and they weigh a few ounces.

Check out these videos:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsyObLoraPw
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH6yqDFGRqI
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPRhdGU8Et0

That's cool, Great idea!

-my chair takes about 30s to set up..
                it is plenty comfortable to sit in, as i make popcorn and watch you rummage for sticks, tie together/make your tripod and clean your cross piece...

Not to worry, I'll share the popcorn when you are done.

Comment

I've been sitting in these for the last 2 seasons:

http://www.rei.com/product/783457/gc...-lounger-chair

The fact that they lasted that long is a miracle in itself:D. I doubt that someone backpacking would have any interest in them since they weigh 9 lbs @ piece. Still I do walk them to my fav lounging spot which is approx. 1 mile away from my campsite and it's no strain. I like the angle of the chair...doesn't promote that lying in a puddle of spineless mush feeling the drugstore variety brings on. The back leans and it has neat pockets for your gear. Folds up really small and has that lovely lifetime guarantee from REI. It can be a little hard to remember how to open it and at times the closing mechanism is stiff. In fact one of the chairs broke whilst it was being packed up but since we hadn't passed REI on the hi-way yet we just dropped in and w/ no hassle rcvd another.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Was doing a little write-up about camp chairs, when I stumbled across this chair. I remembered seeing this topic so I thought I would offer this as a possible camp chair for Hogsnapper - so he wouldn't have to do all that tripod-making work. LOL

Name:	campingchair250x333.jpg
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	69696

Yep, $2800 (discounted from $3640) for this leather webbed, polished aluminum folding lawn/camp chair - of course the arm rests are cherry wood - that makes ALL the difference.

Here's a non-affiliate link to see it as it's listed on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Plodes-RECH-re...+Folding+Chair

ps. shipping not included.

and ignore this obvious imposter:

Name:	campchairlawn230x306.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	69697

Comment

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
                      I like all of those mentioend above but last winter I found a recliner that folds up and has a pillow. It is bulky but......it is perfect for a nap in front of the lake in the sun. I usually take my bag chairs for fishing and campfire time.
                      I've been looking for something just like that. Where did you get one?

Comment

"$2,800" for a lawn chair......? Whoowee, the guy has more money than I do for chairs! So far my $30 Coleman Max has held up beautifully. It gets used at least monthly for a day or weekend outing. Bought two of them four years ago. I weigh north of 350 lbs, coming down but it's slow. So these chairs don't get babied!
                        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Ha ha ha.. did you read some of the reviews for the Plodes_Rech chair? They are hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                            Howdy Campateers!
                            When looking for a new set of chairs for camping, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, your chairs should not take up a ton of room in your car or truck. One of the important elements of camping is packing in a way that allows you to have room for everything you need. If you have big, bulky chairs, you might run out of room for other, more important elements that will make you trip comfortable. A good camping folding chair will fold down very small and fit in the tightest of spaces as well as be extremely lightweight.

Many people think that if they buy a portable folding chair, it will not be large enough to be comfortable. However, there are many styles of folding chairs today that are lightweight, easy to fold down and very large and comfortable. Some styles even have padding to make the experience a little more comfortable. The best part about these camping chairs is usually the price. For a very reasonable cost, you can have all new, wonderful large camping chairs to take out with your family this year. You will be amazed at how much more comfortable your camping experience will be with a couple of really nice, large camping chairs.

Perhaps this is the year that you should consider getting rid of all of those outdated, metal chairs that take up too much room and are not comfortable to sit on at all. Perhaps you have chairs that don't even fold up, which can make packing a real pain. Instead, take a little money and invest in chairs that will be easy to put up and take down, simple to transport and, most importantly, very comfortable to sit on. These can be found at many stores all over the place.

It seems a little simplistic but it's true, and yes, the links are to Coleman Portable Chairs which I really like. Camping chairs can and do take up valuable space when packing for a trip. Like ours for example...I have packed and loaded some nine different chairs for our tent camping pleasure, and all in the space of a jeep Grand Cherokee! Well...no more! I'm only packing two chairs from here on out. We are still looking for the perfect chair. So as a forum goes any ideas will be greatly appreciated, it's just my $0.02 and would love to hear about your 2 cents, if you have the time! Thanks for looking and spending some time with me!
                            So far I haven't found a camping chair that is comfortable.

Comment

I too have had one heck of a time finding a lightweight folding camping chair. The $2800 has got to be the ticket! Looks like what Dad brought to beach and camping trips for us back in the 60's. I don't remember those webbed chairs being heavy. Whenever one broke, we bought more webbing from the local hardware store.

We have at least a half dozen camping chairs at home. They fold up nice and small like an umbrella and are not comfortable. I sat on my buddies Coleman half folding chair and really liked it. It's just so heavy and bulky even though I drive a Ford E150 Club Wagon. Every time I add one more product to make the trip more comfortable, it becomes more of a hassle. My father finally moved up to a diesel pusher motor home and it takes him a week to unpack. Not me-I have everything in clear plastic storage boxes and can leave within an hour.

So please help us on the chair dilemma!
                              Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X