Can my car pull it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can my car pull it?

Yes, I could see the allure of waking up in a hardshell mobile home in the middle of a national park or something like that, but Man-O-Man what an expense and hassle. Last year, I visited the Oregon coast and there were guys from California driving the biggest fifth wheels I have ever seen. What a white knuckle experience that must be driving those enormous rigs around those narrow winding cliff hanging roads! I just couldn't fathom why anybody would want to do that unless it was for the sheer thrill of danger. Sometimes I will see guys trying to back their rigs into narrow campsites. I really do admire some of them because some guys are really good at it. Other guys are stressing out going back and forth, yelling at their wives.... yikes. Of course, even I have backed my compact car into boulders at campsites, so I got nothing to brag about.

Your comments about perspectives are spot on, James. When I was younger, I thought people who camped in developed campgrounds were nuts, now I spend plenty of time camping in campgrounds. Maybe if I had a big rig, my wife would camp with me more than once per year.
    Last edited by Mike; 02-06-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Yes, I could see the allure of waking up in a hardshell mobile home in the middle of a national park or something like that, but Man-O-Man what an expense and hassle. Last year, I visited the Oregon coast and there were guys from California driving the biggest fifth wheels I have ever seen. What a white knuckle experience that must be driving those enormous rigs around those narrow winding cliff hanging roads! I just couldn't fathom why anybody would want to do that unless it was for the sheer thrill of danger. Sometimes I will see guys trying to back their rigs into narrow campsites. I really do admire some of them because some guys are really good at it. Other guys are stressing out going back and forth, yelling at their wives.... yikes. Of course, even I have backed my compact car into boulders at campsites, so I got nothing to brag about.

Your comments about perspectives are spot on, James. When I was younger, I thought people who camped in developed campgrounds were nuts, now I spend plenty of time camping in campgrounds. Maybe if I had a big rig, my wife would camp with me more than once per year.
      That is the very reason I can't ever see myself using a trailer. It limits where you can go.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Youtube has a video showing a large TT a guy pulled into a very tight winding road that had a sign clearly stating to NOT pull larger trailers in. He got it seriously hung up. Provided some amusement for the other patrons, though they couldn't get in or out of the area til they helped him get back out.
        A smaller TT or RV can make a good 'base of operations' for some hiking forays deeper into the woods. It's nice when coming back out of the bush to have a nice place to clean up and relax before heading back home, or further down the road. A lot of folks combine RVing with hiking, tent camping, canoeing, etc. Gives them more options and a longer trip. My camper van will allow me access to the forest roads and places a large motorcoach couldn't hope to go. I will still carry my tenting gear.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
          A smaller TT or RV can make a good 'base of operations' for some hiking forays deeper into the woods. It's nice when coming back out of the bush to have a nice place to clean up and relax before heading back home, or further down the road. A lot of folks combine RVing with hiking, tent camping, canoeing, etc. Gives them more options and a longer trip. My camper van will allow me access to the forest roads and places a large motorcoach couldn't hope to go. I will still carry my tenting gear.
          That is why I like my 14 ft travel trailer. The first test of anything we tow is always how it handles the 7 percent grade near our house. The TT is easy to tow & easy to park and set up. It makes a great base of operations. We pull it with a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

A camp trailer has a ton of benefits!

· You can sleep wherever you can drive, within reason.
            · Considering the cost of rooms at even the cheapest motels, the trailer could pay for itself in no time.
            · There aren’t hotels/motels near some places, such as in the mountains or other remote areas. Good to wake up near where you want to be.
            · If the world ever goes sideways, a small camp trailer could mean the difference between survival and quick death.
            · Bad weather camping doesn’t affect you any longer. Tents get to sucking real fast. :D

I’m going to get a real small one to tow with my Ramcharger. I’ve wanted one for years, and I’m hell-bent on following through. But the woman and I camp quite often, and have done the tent bit for 12 years now; we’ve earned some luxury.

Comment

It's interesting how the differences in locale changes how we make choices. Parking is expensive on my end and of course gas prices have gone up substantially nationwide over the last 10 years. So the solution on my end is to purchase a small TT, sell it at the end of an extended trip, and hold onto the car. I'm researching a low fuel consumption + maintenance, high storage car w/ a 3000 lb tow capability now. The way I see it TTs depreciate slower than a motored RV, and if ya pick your vehicle with care will cost less to run and maintain plus give you a better tax write off long term. In a nutshell it's the difference between paying less money up front or getting more back a bit down the road.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

It could pull it but I would say that you risk ruining something in your car. I would say that it would be best to find something else to pull it with.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Rx, why would you upgrade to a 2500? It has a lower towing capacity, just as the 4X4 does. The 2500 has a stronger suspension to carry a higher weight in the bed, and the added weight reduces towing capacity. The 1500 when equipped with the larger engine offers increased towing capacity vs. the 2500 with the same engine. The 2500 also has a choppy ride if driven empty vs. the softer 1500. You can upgrade your towing capacity with the larger V8 in the 1500 rather than sacrificing capacity in the similarly-equpped 2500.
                  I realize this is a necro post, but,...

That may be the case for one model you looked at, but I'd be really surprised if it was the case across the board. The difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (or 1 ton) isn't just the springs. Most generally nearly every part of the drive line and suspension are heavier duty. Brakes, transmission, transfer case, suspension, radiator, wheel bearings, differentials are often heavier, often the tires, 8 lugs is definitely a heavier duty axle than a 6 lug if talking a true old school 3/4 ton, or what amounts to a 1 ton today. It's also not just the lugs, but the full floater axles are a far heavier duty setup than the 1/2 ton type, which many current "light duty" 3/4 tons are. Even at that, the 3/4 tons with 6 lugs and the 1/2 ton type bearings have more bearing surface area than the typical 1/2 ton.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    It's interesting how the differences in locale changes how we make choices. Parking is expensive on my end and of course gas prices have gone up substantially nationwide over the last 10 years. So the solution on my end is to purchase a small TT, sell it at the end of an extended trip, and hold onto the car. I'm researching a low fuel consumption + maintenance, high storage car w/ a 3000 lb tow capability now. The way I see it TTs depreciate slower than a motored RV, and if ya pick your vehicle with care will cost less to run and maintain plus give you a better tax write off long term. In a nutshell it's the difference between paying less money up front or getting more back a bit down the road.
                    Sounds like a good plan for your location.

As to the mileage/maintenance question, on another forum, different police vehicles were discussed. Some of the SUV type vehicles ended up being less costly to use and maintain over time than more fuel efficient vehicles over their lifetime, and generally held up better in use, adding to their favorable cost ratio.

On the trailers ability to go places, it depends on the trailer. Some are capable of getting about anywhere the towing vehicle can go. A friends small fold out camp trailer (Jumping Jack) would go nearly anywhere the tow vehicle could. I saw a vid of a trailer being pulled up a road I wouldn't take a full size vehicle on. It was a bit of work, but they made it. Looked like a great adventure also, as were some of their other vids. A similar trailer with a roof top tent seems to be popular with the adventure trekkers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAIUPl-L1ZY
                    Last edited by Malamute; 05-03-2014, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X