Homemade truck camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade truck camper

My 67 year old body cannot keep up with my 30 year old mind! It tells me so every time I try to pound tent stakes in during a rainstorm.
    I am a retired poor man and cannot afford an expensive rig, besides, they do not make what I want for a Ford Ranger 6 cyl...so I made one.
    I still need the 12v deep cycle battery, solar panel, and air shocks yet.

The rear of the roof hinges up, with side and rear inserts so I can stand up inside from the wheel wells back. I have $1500 into it so far. It is 6' wide, and 8' 9" long from the cab to the rear. The overhang is for clothing storage inside. What do you think?
    Last edited by cameracamel; 10-05-2010, 09:25 AM. Reason: spelling

Welcome to the Campfire!
    The camper looks good! I like the door - so many camper/TT doors are too small for me. I had to squeeze sideways into a buddy's 13' Scamp egg TT.
    I have been gathering ideas for a utility trailer conversion, and will use a similar lift-up roof idea to proved clearence to load/unload a motorcycle in it.
    The "Teardrop&TinyTrailer" forum gives me lots of ideas, like for light-weight construction. Some guys there are using a 1/8" plywood/foam sandwich panel system for the sides and roof. I want to keep weight to a minimum to tow behind my V6 minivan.
    Will you have onboard water & gas, or just use camping stove and jugs?
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks, Big. Yes, I do not need all those fancy cabinets and hookups. I will use my good old Colman propane stove and coolers. I will install a couple 110v outlets for if I want them in a campground, but the 12v system will be fine for where I camp across the country. A port-a-potty for when I need it, and maybe a small 12v cooler for a few beverages, milk, lunchmeats, etc.
      The framework is select pine, covered with luan which had 3 coats of primer-sealer and 2 coats of Behr high UV protection paint. 3/4" foam insulation between all the framework. Steel square tubing welded to the truck frame for floor support.
      The flip top has a continuous piano hinge covered with rubber (cut bicycle tire tube), for weatherproofing... With the top up, I can stand up in it from the wheelwells back.

Comment

That is such a nifty idea...........it is your own work, made as you want it.
        If I were to do it, I would put in a power centre on one side.
        A male 110v recessed prong that you could feed an extension cord into.

like this...

http://www.racingplus.com/img/Medium...-45662_618.jpg

On the inside of the camper you could run a few 110 outlets, but also feed this line into an inverter with a few 12vdc sockets.....like this

http://www.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/..._DC_SOCKET.jpg

easier to wire this stuff in now, than think about it after and think "***** I shoulda......"

Maybe some 110 lights AND 12vdc lights........just ideas.

My other concern is weight......I had a 94 Ranger X-cab short box and if I stood on the back it would sink a bit but quite easily.
        I was about 180 lbs........I think your cap is quite a bit heavier.
        You may want to put SS wherever you can so as to avoid rust......exposed nuts/bolts......door latches etc.
        Just my 2 cents though...
        However......doing a great job...........post some pics of the INSIDE if you can.

Comment

Nothing like building it yourself to get something made the way you want.

Comment

Nice rig. More pics!!

Comment

Love my Coleman gear.
              But, questions ????
              Will you use it inside the unit?
              And if so is it safe?

Comment

Awsome job

I really admire your build. I would love to see more detailed pics! I want to build a teardrop or similar trailer out of a utility trailer I have and love to see how others projects went together. How did you seal your corners and do you think the primer/ uv paint will stand up over time?
                Look forward to more pics

Aaron

Comment

Re: Homemade truck camper

Thanks for the comments !! Here is a pix of the camper with the "vaulted ceiling" up.
                  The side inserts are lual plywood glued to 3/4" foam insulation. I am still working on the rear insert. I will also have a rear screen insert attached with velcro for nice evening breezes....
                  My 2 burner campstove will be used outside only. Heater will be a small catalystic heater (propane).
                  The roof has a piano hinge for raising the roof and sealed with bicycle tube rubber.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's a heck of a set up. Probably much lighter than commercial bought. I like custom everything. Nothing like building to suit your personal needs.

Comment

Not to be all negative and all... but what are the legalities of building and driving with such a homemade creation?

Would like some inside pics.

Comment

Nice. I have almost the same truck too. Once this old lady gets too old to set up a tent, I might look into something like that.
                        Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I know this is an old thread but GREAT job! I'd love to hear more about this. I have several such units designed in my head. One for my 8 foot flatbed S10 and one for my wifes shortbed extended cab Sonoma.

Comment

Nice work so far.i like the raised roof

Comment

Great post on the self built rig. I've thought of it myself a number of times. I found some good ideas on the forum part of the expedition portal site, they had quite a lot of self built rigs, on vehicles and trailers.

Comment

Working...
                              X