What I learned from my first camping trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I learned from my first camping trip

I learned a few things on a my first camping trip that I wanted to share.

1. Just like home, there will be neighbors who are not considerate (i.e. loud talking/music after quiet time, dogs not on leashes, kids cutting through campsite, etc.). Our fix for the loud talking/music after quiet time was to bring them party food and snacks for their next party. They were sheepish, apologized for the noise, and partied elsewhere the rest of the time we were there. I realize that won't work every time, but it worked this time and that's what counts.

2. Unlike at home, most everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. When walking around the camp, most folks say hello, others will come up to you and make conversation. It's kinda like being in Mayberry. :D

3. You cannot escape stupid people and their offspring. Allowing your child to play in and around the campfire is moronic to say the least.

4. Everyone likes to check out everyone else's camping/gear/setup. This is kinda funny.

5. Unlike other public restrooms, folks in camping restrooms feel free to start up a conversation with you. I prefer to do nature's calling in relative piece and quiet. It's rather unnerving to have somone attempt to keep a conversation up when you're in a stall.

6. People love to invite you to go with them: hiking, swimming, boating, what-have-you. It's amazing how easily, and quickly, it is to become friendly with folks. We've been living in our current home for almost three years and have yet to receive an invite for coffee, never mind a invite to do something fun.

7. If you invite someone to sit a spell and give them coffee, be prepared for them to do just that. LOL! My mother always taught me to offer visitors a seat and refreshment. So when some camp neighbors stopped by one morning to say hello while my husband and I were drinking coffee, I offered them coffee. They ended up visiting for a couple of hours. We never did go hiking that day. We had a great time, and had a great conversation with them.

8. If you tell your family and friends that you're going camping, unlike other activities, they will invite themselves along. We were invaded a couple of times, once by 12 family members who stayed all day. My mother made sure they all brought plenty of food, otherwise they would've cleaned us out. Needless to say, when they all went home, we really appreciated the peace and quiet. :D And our next camping trip won't be without guests as well. We've already been informed that we'll have guests. It's funny how people just invite themselves along. LOL!

9. Last night's dinner is great for breakfast, even if it's cold. Our last night camping, we had grilled chicken with a raspberry orange sauce, mashed sweet potatoes, and peas. Since we were going to pack up and go home, I didn't see the need to make bacon and eggs and deal with all the clean up. I noticed the leftovers from the night before and we had that. It was quick, required no cooking, was delicious, and there was no cleanup required.

10. It takes a heck of a lot longer to breakdown a campsite than it does to set one up. This is where I was longing for a TT or PU. It was 95 degrees in the shade and it was just brutal. Hubby kept making me and the dog sit in the car with the A/C going full blast. It took us hours to break camp.

So those are a few things that I've learned on our maiden camping adventure. :D
    "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
    ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Thanks surmisez, great post!!!
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Next trip, DON'T tell them you are going, and absolutely NOT where you are going or exactly when. A family unit should be able to enjoy themselves without the whole clan tagging along......
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

people will check out your gear thats for sure, i once left to go into town and i guess a pretty big wind storm came through and blew over our brand new canopy broke all the poles but one of the guys from the same camp ended up saving what was left so we could return it :P great people around when your camping thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X