Camping within 6 hour drive of Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping within 6 hour drive of Chicago

Can anyone suggest a place to go tent camping within a reasonable drive from Chicago? I am not looking for a campground with facilities where there will be tons of people with RVs, etc... We used to camp in CO, and we would just drive somewhere remote, hike a bit, and set up a tent, build a fire, fish, whatever. Is there anywhere around the midwest to do that?

Things really have changed since I went camping last... when did it become a business? Fees?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for some remote peace and quite where I can go with my wife, bring our dog, catch a few fish, and cook them over a fire before sleeping under the stars.

Respectfully yours,
    SP

Sorry, SP, I'm on the west coast. So, I can't help with where to go in your neck of the woods. But, welcome to our campfire. There is always a chair or log to sit on here, so jump in any time and enjoy. There are a bunch of great people here who only want to support and help other campers.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thanks! We just went to our local REI, and one of the employees gave us a few recommendations. We are heading up to Kettle Moraine next weekend and are definitely excited.

Looking forward to getting back into this wonderful hobby

Comment

Welcome to the campfire. I live in the southeast so I wont be much help either. As far as fees and such, things are very reasonable where I camp. I think the big influx of new campers over the last couple of years iss due to the economy. Not as much expendable cash so IMHO, I think more and more people are turnin to camping as a means to still afford a vacation and spend quality time with family.

My family and I camp 1-2 times a month from May til October but we also use our vacation time to camp. Always have...always will. Even with all the amature campers showing up, we have our special spots that allow us some privacy.

Good luck in your quest to find good camping around Chicago. Once the weekend is over more campers will be around their cpu's and will give you some good ideas. Just remeber, when you find that special lil Oasis, keep it a secret cause I have lost a few great spots because I told others about them.

Good luck and welcome.

Comment

6 hours from Chicago?

6 hours from Chicago?
          We love the Nicolet National Forest for tenting and trailer camping.
          Most campgrounds lack electricity and have vault toilets.
          The Nicolet covers nearly 661,400 acres in Florence, Forest, Langlade, Oconto, Oneida, and Vilas counties.
          check it out here-
          http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinte...ound%20Camping
          or here-
          http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/niccmp.htm

I am off for a 3 week stay starting this week
          may also visit the Ottawa Natl Forest too
          http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/ott.htm

Happy trails!

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforsecludedwoods View Post
            Can anyone suggest a place to go tent camping within a reasonable drive from Chicago? I am not looking for a campground with facilities where there will be tons of people with RVs, etc... We used to camp in CO, and we would just drive somewhere remote, hike a bit, and set up a tent, build a fire, fish, whatever. Is there anywhere around the midwest to do that?

Things really have changed since I went camping last... when did it become a business? Fees?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Just looking for some remote peace and quite where I can go with my wife, bring our dog, catch a few fish, and cook them over a fire before sleeping under the stars.

Respectfully yours,
            SP
            Michigan and Indiana both have rivers/streams within an easy drive of Chicago. Often years ago would use a canoe to paddle rivers or streams to sandbars along banks and camp.
            Always used canoe to make a bit of shelter.
            Contact state DNR's in both and ask where is feasible.
            Once canoed from Louisville Ky. to Cincy Oh. Spenta two weeks doing this. Just took our time and enjoyed.
            Happy Trails as Roy and Dale would say.
            Add on
            This might work along the banks of Lake Michigan. Having kayaked all of the big lakes will say keeping close to shore and keeping a weather eye will help. Lake Michigan can come up fast and furious.

Comment

Working...
            X