Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lantern - warm light vs. white light (noob).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lantern - warm light vs. white light (noob).

I'd like to buy a decent camping lantern for general use (think in tent, playing cards, or on a table in a screened area, etc).

I've seen others with lights that are very bright and white, but that's not too appealing to us.
    Others, have a more yellow warm glow.

Is the difference that the warm light is LP and the white light is battery/LED?

or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks

Originally posted by Trailzy View Post
    I'd like to buy a decent camping lantern for general use (think in tent, playing cards, or on a table in a screened area, etc).

I've seen others with lights that are very bright and white, but that's not too appealing to us.
    Others, have a more yellow warm glow.

Is the difference that the warm light is LP and the white light is battery/LED?

or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
    Sure, LED lanterns have a pale white light. I'd invest in a Coleman Model 288 for the campsite. It runs on white gas, you don't need a DualFuel as the owner's manual recommends the same Coleman Fuel that the 288 runs on for way less money - I've bought 2 new-in-the-box off Ebay for $25 each. White gas is WAY cheaper than either propane or batteries. I like propane also, we use a NorthStar to warm our tent in the evening before cards and bed but as a chemist I do use extreme caution doing this as tents are flammable and fuels give off CO which must be vented for safety. WalMart carries a small, light, nice round LED hanging tent light for about $6.74 that has about two dozen LEDs running off 2 AA batteries, they are great for changing and moving about. Have fun!
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The 'warm' LED lights are just becoming affordable and availble for the RV use, so I would expect them to be hitting the portable/lantern market soon too.
      I don't care for the 'cool blue' lights - too garish and un-natural to me! But right now, they are IT for lanterns.
      The 'puck' lights are very affordable and come in three packs - got a set for my van (for those times I 'camp' in it, and another set for use in my (eventual) TT or for tent use. The ones I got are smaller, using three AAA batteries each.
      Coleman makes some good LED battery-powered lanterns - I got one rated at 190 lumens - fairly bright, uses four D-cell batteries.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
      X