Why Are Trailer's White?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are Trailer's White?

Drivin' back from camping along the highway I pull over and pass slow moving campers, trailers, 5th wheels, and the majority are white! What is up with that....even pop-ups when folded down are white! Why?

Couldn't they make 'em to blend into the woods, forest, desert, whatever....they are always white!
    Yeah, I've seen some hand-painted to cover up the white, but underneath I'll betcha they were white once! Why?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

That's and easy one to answer: They are white, like our van, so it is easier to hide them in Snow Parks in the winter to avoid paying the fees.
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

They are white so the owner of the vehicle can read the messages written along the sides of the RV/whatever in black Sharpie permanent markers.
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Hides the bird droppings which accumulate over the weekend while camping.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon

Comment

Cause if they were black, they'd look EVIL........ :rolleyes:
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

if they were forest green and brown they would be camouflaged and we would never find them if we left our campsite.
            2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
            2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
            I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

'Cause WHITE is for 'virgin campers'........ :rolleyes:

Comment

Ha Ha Ha! Seriously though, it's true, most cab-over campers, pop-ups, tear-drop, scamps etc as well as the big-toy-take-along-everything are all white. I guess it's a manufacturer thing but white is the dominate color. Why? (maybe a manufacturer might have to be asked?). And I've never ever even considered stepping into one, but from photos, the interiors look "too nice" to take camping. Ha Ha! Any ideas?:confused:
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Seriously, it's likely a temperature issue - white stays cooler inside than other colors. It's true with cars! White reflects the sun away.
                  Wouldn't be such an important thing if we put a tarp over the trailer though!

Comment

The Bigdog is correct about the temperature issue.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
                    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
                    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

to take it further..........they are white because of less heat absorption through the day, and often are equipped with heaters of some sort to create heat at night.
                      I would assume that if the climate were colder when the users were camping in them, then the mfrs would probably make them dark colours to take advantage of the sun in the colder temps.
                      But such is not the case usually.

Comment

Then again, it could be that white paint is cheaper bought in bulk.......

Comment

White is the easiest to care for and tends to be more UV stable because it reflex the rays rather then absorbing them. Even when white starts breaking down it's less obvious then darker colors. You have to get close and look to tell when white paint is oxidizing because oxidized paint turns white and chalky. With darker colors that chalky white layer really stands out. Most RV's don't get parked in a garage so they spend all their lives in the sun being pounded by UV rays.
                          White also hides paint imperfections better then darker colors. Runs, drips, fish eyes and orange peel just don't show up as much with white. RV's tend to have large flat surfaces that can be hard to paint so it's best to use a color that conceals flaws rather then highlights them.
                          White also goes with all other colors so if your buying a camper it doesn't really matter what color truck you stick it on or trailer don't clash with tow vehicles. Green campers might be hard to sell to people with blue trucks.
                          Staying cooler is also a reason to use white rather then darker colors and it's possible it's cheaper in bulk, I don't know. I'm sure it is cheaper for a manufacture to only have to deal with one color and white just makes the most sense.

Comment

Working...
                          X