Tent vs Trailer for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent vs Trailer for you?

Renting or borrowing camping essentials are great options for finding out whether camping is something you enjoy and plan to do regularly, but at some point you may decide to invest in the necessities for yourself or your family. Then comes the question: tent or trailer?

The Pros and Cons of Tent Camping
    Tents are relatively inexpensive, require little maintenance or storage space, and come in all sizes and shapes. The bigger ones even have multiple "rooms." In recent years the designs have improved to make them fairly easy to pitch.

You can camp almost anywhere in a tent. No particular kind of vehicle is needed to haul it. Toss one in the trunk and you are good to go. The advantages of tent camping are many.

The disadvantages of tent camping vary according to your needs. For one or two adults wanting to be able to grab and go, the pros outweigh the cons. For a family, or for extended camping trips however, there are some things to take into consideration.

There is no storage in a tent, and no refrigerator, so everything you need for cooking has to be packed up every time. All cold food has to go in coolers with ice. You will also likely need some kind of camp stove or portable grill. Packing along everything necessary for a camping trip takes up a lot of space.

There is no heat in a tent. There is also less protection for the weather in general. If it rains, you better hope you remembered the rain cover and how to put it on so it doesn't leak. It's also harder to cook and eat in inclement weather if you are tent camping.

As for sleeping, the ground can get hard really fast! Air mattresses are an option, but will likely have to be blown up the old-fashioned way. They also tend to spring leaks easily.

The Pros and Cons of Trailer Camping
    Trailer camping is a very broad topic, since trailers range anywhere from tiny "tents on wheels" to luxurious RVs that cost more than a small home. If you are weighing the options against a tent, however, you are likely in the market for something more on the basic end.

Trailers can be purchased for a reasonable price, especially if you are willing to buy used from a private party. With a minimal amount of maintenance, a trailer should remain usable for many years.

One of the advantages of trailer camping is that In a trailer there is storage space for food, sleeping bags, and anything else you need to take along. If you stock it with some basic dishes and cooking utensils that can be left in it, preparing for a camping trip is less of a hassle.

Also, a trailer provides more protection from whatever weather you may encounter, and many have heaters and even air-conditioners. Rain poses less of a problem. And for sleeping, you have a bed.

Of course many of the pros of a tent are the cons of a trailer. One of the disadvantages of trailer camping is that you do have to have an appropriate vehicle with a big enough engine and hitch equipment to pull a trailer. You are also more limited in the places that you can camp.

Trailers have to be registered just like a vehicle, and they have tires, batteries, and other components that have to be replaced periodically. If you get a motor home, even a small one, it means another engine to keep running and a gas tank to keep full.

Trailers require a parking spot, even at home and if you don't have one, they have to be parked at a storage facility which means rent. If you live in cold climates, the water pipes have to be blown out in the winter to avoid freezing.

So, Tent or Trailer?
    Before you decide, talk to people who have each. Then ask yourself some questions:

Do I have a vehicle that can pull a trailer? Do I have a hitch or even a place to put one?

If I go with the tent option, do I have the capability to pack everything needed for the stay and stlll have space for the people and pets that are coming along?

Will I be ok sleeping on the ground or do I really need a bed?
    What kind of camping do I plan to do? Do I want to only be in campgrounds or do I want the flexibility that tent camping offers?

Are there going to be any changes to my needs within the next few years that might affect the type of investment I want to make now? (e.g. kids, retirement, etc.)

What is my financial situation and how does it affect what type of camping equipment I can acquire?

Do I have other things to tow for my camping trips? (e.g. boats, ATVs)
    Both tent camping and trailer camping offer many great opportunities. As with anything else, your personal situation has to be evaluated in order to make the decision that is right for you. And if all things are equal, perhaps you can eventually get both a trailer and a tent and use whichever is more appropriate for each camping adventure. So should I get a small trailer for camping? I haven't decided!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Working...
X