New tent suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tent suggestions

Hello all! We're new to this forum but it looks to be a very experienced crew here with plenty of knowledge to share.
    My wife and I are looking for a 4 person tent that will be used probably once or twice a year at campgrounds (but out in the woods away from others is not out of the question farther down the road).
    More than anything, suggestions on the most rugged brands out there.
    Druthers: NOT a bright, dayglow color. Something in an OD green, dark tan, or brown would be nice.
    We are both of fairly short stature (5'8" and 5'6"), and have two little kids (4 and 6), so we'd like to be able to use it with them for as long as they'll want to be around Mom & Dad.
    Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions!

Lots of choices but I would suggest you get a 6 person tent. That way, you will have room to move around and store gear. I would also suggest a tent with a full rain gear. Go ahead and spend the money for a waterproof tent with taped seams and a full fly. In my experience, one of the most important pieces of gear is your tent. staying dry is vital to having a good time so dont scrimp on your tent. Cut corners other places but not your "outdoor house".

I have a Big Agnes Big House 6 w/vestibule and it is perfect for our family. The tent is roughly 10 X 10 and the vestibule adds an additional 65 sf, all undercover. You would not like it because it is a bright yellow but it is a well made tent (lifetime warrenty) that has a bunch of cool features. I cant say enough great things about it but like I said, the rainfly is really yellow. To many features to list here but it lives up to it's hype.

Just do your research and plan on spending around 300-400 bucks for a top quality tent that would serve your family for years. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Comment

I would suggest a 6-man tent, avoid those dark colors as the lightest colors permit daylight inside and reduce cabin fever during inclement weather. The best tents carry lifetime warranties and are made of polyester, have aluminum poles and are no larger than 10 X 10 to fit on most level tent pads. Buy a set of 12-inch stakes for all the grommets and decent cord for the guy-outs. Good manufacturers are REI, EMS, Marmot, Sierra Designs, Northface, and Mountain HardWear. Ebay is a great place to buy if you have a few months to follow the auctions, we bought 3 of our tents at 60% off.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ditto! 6-man tent, light colors...dark colors absorb heat and make the inside of any tent hotter than it should be. Good luck, let us know what you get and take some snaps as well and share them here! Will like to see what you get! Remember, campin' is fun and there is no excuse to not enjoy the experience with what is available on the market today! Every campout is just practice for the next campout. Get campin'!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for the help so far everyone. We were curious to know if the Eureka! brand or the tents sold under the Cabela's name were any good? We've found a few Eureka's that look promising, and we live close to a Cabela's store (they ALWAYS seem to be having some sort of "sale") The 6 person size and the lighter colors were both very helpful suggestions. We'll for sure let you guys & gals know what we get.

Comment

Picked up our new tent this morning at REI. We ended up going with the REI Kingdom 6. Since we will probably be bringing our Great Dane camping at some point, also got a footprint to put inside the (REI's suggestion for better durability), and will be getting an extra vestibule when they get more in stock. Was my first visit to REI, but I think I could probably get lost in there!
            Thanks again to everyone who had suggestions for us-it was a big help.

Ray

Comment

One thing a buddy taught me was to carry a small piece of carpet for the front door area - it'll catch sand and dirt from your shoes, and prevent tracking it into the tent, especially if you remove shoes before entering. Then just shake the carpet out each morning.
              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

What we use could be called a small rug, but rather it's a washable cloth doormat that we purchased at Wal-mart for a couple of dollars. It doesn't have the thick matting underneath the rug like a piece of carpet would have and when we return from any camping trip, I'll throw it into the washing machine and then hang it outside to air dry and it's good as new.

We also use small cotton washable bathroom mats without the rubber backing on the floor of the tent to protect the floor, provides our socked feet some comfort and warmth when inside the tent. It's nice to wake up and put your feet on a cool rug than on the cold cloth of the tent floor, the Kodiak Canvas tent has a vinyl tub floor. These rugs too are washable.
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                X