Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tents on Display

Hey everybody! I need a tent.

I've been lurking here for a week or so and have picked up some great information. Thanks!

Before I drop any cash on a tent I'd really like to do more than read reviews and look at the packaging. Does anyone know of a place in Southern California that has tents on display?

Thanks in advance.

Most camping stores do have tents on display. But I can't speak for southern California because I don't reside there. In Reno, NV we are fortunate to have a very large Sportman's Warehouse right in the heart of Reno. There were four stores in Las Vegas too, but they all closed and I never have figured out why. Good luck in southern Cal? They are other great campers here on this site who live in southern CA so maybe they will chime in soon, maybe not, we'll see.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for the reply, fox. (can I call you fox?)

Which retailers in Vegas have tents displayed? They may have stores here in SoCal.

Comment

Howdy Arturo7,
        A username is just that, a username. In my signature you'll see the name of "Coop," "Brent Cooper", whatever...if you wanna call me "fox," then by cracky, do so. Also vdf works too, whatever works. Usually here on this site first name use is common and so is a person'e username...whatever works!

Sears always has a nice selection of tents on display that is, if you can find a large retail store. So does Pennys, Sportsman's Warehouse. Even the larger Wal-marts have tents setup. REI stores, and stores specializing in camping gear seem to have nice displays of tents.

A google search or a yellow page search in your area for "tents", "camping gear", "camping supplies", then once you've located a few, call them and see if they have any tents on display. Usually the quickest way to see a tent is for a store to have the floor space to display. Good luck!

Comment

Looks like we're got the tent selection narrowed down to 3 choices.

REI Hobitat 6 (8 x 10)

Carbon Canyon 1010 or 1310

Any feedback on these would be appreciated.

Ancillary question: We like the 1310 because it gives us some room to move around inside. Are there any disadvantages to the larger footprint?

Thanks!

Comment

REI makes some high-quality tents and the Hobitat is one of them. I could not get any info on the Carbon Canyon tents. Assuming they have larger than 10 X 10 footprints, they'd be off my list for that reason alone. Most SoCal tent pad sites with level ground are no larger than 10 X 10 on average. In addition, it becomes almost impossible to set up alone, and that can ehnahce the experience for others in your group if you do the setup yourself.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks for the input TP. I was thinking the 1213 might be a bit large.

The tents are actually Copper Canyon from Eureka. (guess I wasn't fully caffeinated when I called them Carbon Canyon)

Comment

Hey 7, I own a Copper Canyon 1010 for three years now. Nice summer tent!
                Nice big windows for ventilation and a great sturdy construction!

Comment

Working...
                X