I learned a couple of things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned a couple of things.

I decided to take a drive to a local place called Lake Curry.
    I used Google maps to map out my route, packed some snacks and water, and went on my way.

I get to the end of what was maybe a 5 mile windy road and come to a huge sign that says:

"Lake Curry is owned by the City of Vallejo. Trespassers will be prosecuted"

Ugh.

Lesson 1. Don't just map out a new location, RESEARCH it!

So I decide that since I am out I will go to Lake Berryessa, home of the $31 a night campground! Thing is, even though I have been there before, I am not 100% sure of what route to take.

Lesson 2. Map out a 'Plan B' route!

Anyways, the campgrounds are ok, but not at $31! The lake is beautiful, but the sites are to wide-open for my taste. I will not be camping here.

Today I am going to check out another place to camp that I drove through that night, but it was already dark out. I will post pictures of that later.
    My Other Interest

Yes, I learned to actually get out and drive/ride the routes after finding them by google-mapping. I was scouting 'hurricane evacuation' routes for my motorcycle - thought I found a route to a local lake, very close through the woods instead of using the highway further down. Got part way down the dirt road - and it was FENCED!
    Google does not update some areas for years. Sometimes a clear road can become muddy or flooded too!
    On the other hand, I have found some interesting camping sites in the National Forest by using them!
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

The ideal for one may or may not be the ideal for another.

If we get the chance to move to Rancho Cordova in the spring(Desertrose's telephone interview is tomorrow), we will likely spend a weekend here in the autumn or winter coming. It looks rather peaceful and with our Kodiak Canvas Wall Tent and raising other tarps, we can get all the privacy anyone would ever need! I bet the lake is full of trout and Great Blue Herons!

Of course we check out the rules...but if we could land our tandem kayak "sky" on the beach, my bride would like it very much indeed! Yeah, it would take some work to make a campsite home, but isn't that what we are all about? I simply love the views...begs for more photography!
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 02-11-2010, 04:19 PM.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Lake Berryessa is a dam, and by the images I see, it is not close to full. I do not know if it Standard Operating Procedure, but when dams are built in Calif., the trees in the "lake" are cut down, leaving the stumps in intact. So, if you are canoeing or kayaking at low water levels, look out for stumps in the water. California is hving a drought, so "Stump Alert".:eek:
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

I spent a few months stationed in Mare Island Navy Base in the early 80's while in the Navy - they had their Crypto school there. Right outside Vallejo, Calif. When I first got there - 2.5 days drive from north Florida - I was FLYING in my '75 Firebird! - I had a few days to kill and found an airshow up in Fairfield. That was before I got into camping though, so I never checked out campsites there.
          Nice area. I flew over it a few times in sailplanes too.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
          X