What are you driving?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the truck that will accompany me on my trip

It's in great condition. It has less miles on it than our 2005 Magnum! (Magnum is at 150,000)

We are going to get all things checked, fresh oil, and a set of new tires before I go.
    My Other Interest

Comment

The Dawg's New Car!!!

A MINIVAN!? ME!? Dang, never did I expect......
      My buddy and I dropped by the Dodge dealer today, as I have been thinking of getting a 'truck'. My little Toyota has crapped out, and riding the bike gets dangerous in rain and high wind - like today!
      I mentioned I'd consider a van as well......
      Then I told them the price range and payment range I wanted, figuring something smaller and older.
      They gave me a killer deal on this 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan 4-dr V6 minivan. NEVER saw myself in a minivan. But it drives very nice, has beaucoup room, and it's COMFY for a big guy like me! No more looking like I'm getting into and out of a 'clown car'.
      Roof rack to carry the canoe, lots of room for camping gear, and towing ability to tow the bike trailer. This thing screams - ROAD TRIP!
      Bob is a friend of the salesman I talked to, and they got a bank to go for a deal with ZERO down payment ( I had just paid property taxes, and bought some reloading stuff - I am pretty much tapped for the month. Next month car & bike tags are due as well as next car insurance payment. I can transfer that to the new van.
      I am jazzed, and just a bit nervous! First BIG ticket item I have bought in awhile.

Pics........ Mine is this same color:

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan:

Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Bigdog: That is almost cooler than cool! Congrats!
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Dude... you drive a mini-van....haha!
          Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
          USMC Retired
          Scout/Sniper

Comment

Suprisingly, this newer model Road Trek Versatile, (No Shower in our 1985) Looks much like our 1985 318 banger.
            When grandchildren visit, will post photos of the banger at campsite.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hRlMalQpP8
            Last edited by angler57; 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richardvg03 View Post
              Dude... you drive a mini-van....haha!
              Hehehe.... you haven't seen me at the range - a typical day can be about ten rifles and four handguns. Not exactly what the average "Soccer Dad" hauls around. :D

Comment

Bigdog57; GI Green In its day was Oliver Drab. Us old guys know that old stuff. Olive Drab and Battleship Grey covering everything can get very very trying after a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by angler57 View Post
                  Bigdog57; GI Green In its day was Oliver Drab. Us old guys know that old stuff. Olive Drab and Battleship Grey covering everything can get very very trying after a few months.
                  Yep, but the Hunter Green looked better, and colors are limited in "Paint For Plastics". Once I put the camo bags on, most folks didn't know the difference. At one point I did have the bike painted in olive/dark green/brown camo, similar to the old West German camo pattern. But the camo paint rubbed and wore off too quickly.

The dealer calls the new van's color "Green" but it sure looks like a dark blue-grey to me. Maybe just a tinge of green in the sunlight.

Comment

Congrats Lance!! That's a very nice "covered wagon"!! Back in the day when they first came(1982) out our two back bench seats held our five kids all at once with the pulling of hair and teasing that kids always do. That's how we went camping too. Wish I could find those photos.:eek:

But now you'll be able to purchase a better tent a better stove, take cast iron camping and still have room for a friend or two!! Excellent choice friend!

I was going to go camping, but instead we drove to Riverside, CA to visit a high school friend who owns a Nissan dealership and I purchased this for my bride's Valentine Day gift! A 350Z! Happy Valentine's Day, Desertrose!

That's Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area in the background, it's only about 17 miles from our front door. Yep, it's raining again this week here!:D. So when are you going camping Dawg?
                    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

WOW! That car is beautiful! Bet it's fun to drive
                      My Other Interest

Comment

Those "Z's" are hot little scates! My bestest buddy is considering getting his bride one too - he figures the prices on the used 350Z may be reasonable now that the 'improved' 370Z is on the road.

Comment

Hey, dawg, sure it's a late model...2008 but still we bought it at 34 grand. The new 370Z have a price tag of 40-42Gs, geez! And for a nice ride...around town on pavement only, sweet! Bose sound system mp3 & ipod is just the ticket.

The jeep ain't for sell!

Got any pics of your new rig loaded with MC & canoe?
                          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Need to go by the "Wilderness Way" outfitters, and get the foam canoe/kayak blocks to slip onto my roof rack. Need some straps, and I got a plastic tote for the camping equipment - I am learning from you 'car campers' already!
                            I wil inflate my twin mattress and test fit it in the van too.
                            I copied Ricely's checklist from another thread and will use it to fit the rig out. :cool:

We have a dual sport meet in Tennessee in May - I may try to make it in style this time! I think I can enjoy the riding more, knowing the bike isn't my ride back home! No tent needed, with the van!

But I do want to get a comfy cabin tent now that transportation is more versatile.

Danggit - I am becoming positively 'civilized'.......

Comment

Where's my Valentines day gift?
                              Sgt. Richard V. Gilbert
                              USMC Retired
                              Scout/Sniper

Comment

Got it! Came home last night with a 2010 Chevy AWD, Cargo Van! Now, we get to spend between now and the end of April gettin' it set up.

We would like to insulate it as cheaply and w/o breathing fiberglass. So, what suggestions do you have. There are support beams in the cargo area to mount an interior "skin" on with (peg board?). Off the top of my head, I was thinking of securing two layers of bubble wrap to the metal skin of the van. Maybe, two layers, the first being the smallest bubble wrap, the second layer being the large bubble wrap. Maybe securing the smaller to the skin with dabs of rubber cement here and there, doing the same with the larger bubble wrap, securing it to the smaller w/ rubber cement dabs here and there.

Then, protecting the bubble wrap by putting a skin of peg board w/wholes over that. Lots of ideas/uses for the peg board........... but that is for another topic.

Ok, help me out here.:rolleyes:
                                Chuck
                                So. Oregon
                                TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                                TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                                SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
                                X