Purchasing a travel trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing a travel trailer

My wife and I (with slight reluctance on my part) have chosen to purchase a travel trailer so that the entire family can go. Up until now my wife will only go to certain parks with certain conditions and certain weather. With the arrival of our second boy in a couple of weeks we feel that this will give us all a chance to go and somewhere to get our newborn out of the heat.
    Prior to this my son and I have done the majority of camping with tents leaving my wife at home. We are purchasing a 2004 Jayco 29 Fbs.

Congrats! We had a camping trailer when the kids were little and it worked out great.

Comment

+1 for the Jayco trailers. I own the '04 Jayco Kiwi 21B and it has proven its worth time and time again. Jayco makes quality trailers and you get your moneys worth out of them. It has been in the shop one time for a roof leak two years after purchase and the dealer fixed it for free...compliments of Jayco. You are off to some good times my friend. Having a family of four now it will be much more comfortable for your wife and new born baby in a trailer. Congrats on your decision....you picked the best IMO.
      "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Waterfowler,

My brother in law has always had Jaycos and he says the same thing. We actually just really liked the layout.I cannot wait for spring so that we can try it out. I do agree I think my wife will get in to the camping thing a little more especially in the hotter months when she and our newborn can get out of the sun and the heat for a while.

Two questions, Do you your store yours in a field or a gravel lot. I have heard stories about fields being worse for mice and other guys saying as long as you take precautions either is fine.

Comment

Mine is stored in a safe guard storage lot. I would agree that a field would not be the best area due to that exact reason. One thing you can do if you do not have many options when it comes to that is use the Dcon poison which usually will take care of any pesky mice that might decide your trailer would be nice home. I'd recommend placing them in the unseen nooks and crannies like storage closets and cubbies, and under the sink. If you have a choice I would try and find a gravel/paved storage area.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
            I do agree I think my wife will get in to the camping thing a little more.
            I can tell you my mama was much more apt to go with my dad after they got their pop up trailer as their first camper. Dad always used to tease mom about bein a fair weather camper.....with a travel trailer you can be an anytime camper much easier.
            sigpic

Comment

You'll love it!

We love our HTT (hybrid travel trailer). We've got a 2006 Aerolite Cub 23BH and it fits our family like a glove. It's our own hotel room on wheels. Nice knowing that nobody but your family is using the bathroom and shower in it and also knowing that you are the only people who have been sleeping on the beds!

I love camping in tents, and my whole family will do it , but they much prefer the camper. Especially my wife and daughter. I figured if that's what it would take to make them happy and convince them to go then it's worth it.

But I still find time to go tenting several times a year. We especially like canoe camping. Great fun!

Congratulations on your trailer, I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. Be sure and take lots of pictures.

Also congratulations on the new baby! That's even more important!

Comment

We purchased a new Cherokee trailer last month and can hardly wait to get out camping. We searched all over for a great and deal and then we got on ebay and discovered that you can make a purchase with out all the emotion and hassle!!! Any one looking to make a purchase should check out www.lakeshore-rv.com, here is their ebay site where we found our new trailer.
                http://stores.ebay.com/LAKESHORE-RV-...506Q2ec0Q2em57

Comment

We purchased a new Cherokee trailer last month and can hardly wait to get out camping. We searched all over for a great and deal and then we got on ebay and discovered that you can make a purchase with out all the emotion and hassle!!! Any one looking to make a purchase should check out www.lakeshore-rv.com, here is their ebay site where we found our new trailer.
                  http://stores.ebay.com/LAKESHORE-RV-...506Q2ec0Q2em57

Comment

COngratulations under the stars, Can you post some pics when you get a chance. I love seeing other peoples trailers and camping set ups.

Comment

JT Beck

Thanks you are right the baby is the most important thing. If it wasn't for my kids I wonder if I ever would have gotten back into camping.

Comment

JT Beck

Thanks JT Beck.

I agree the baby is the most important thing. And if it gets them all out there camping and together that is even better. If it was not for my kids I wonder if I would have gotten back into camping to begin with.

Comment

Re: Purchasing a travel trailer

Thanks for saying the Jayco is a good one. After looking at 5th wheels for several years, we finally put some money down on a 2004 Jayco 36 foot. Since we are in Minnesota, not a lot of camping will be done for a few months. But, since we have never owned one before, I need ideas on what will make our lives easier.

Comment

I bought a 2004 Jayco J Flight 28 BHS 5th wheel new. Only issue was the graphics started to peel after one year. The dealer made a call to the factory and they re striped it for me for free. Never any issues except for which new Jayco do I want now.

Comment

Since there is no perfect RV, I recommend buying used rigs so they can be sold or traded for a different one. It is much harder to take a trailer over about 22-23 feet into the boondocks or find campsites outside of RV parks.

Comment

Working...
                              X