ZIPLOC Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZIPLOC Recipes

For starters, there are lots of recipes at ziploc.com, and through a google search of "ziploc recipes" which are great/delicious for backpacking/camping.

On the other side, my wife and I use lots of sandwich size Ziploc bags to store individual meals for backpacking. Neither of us can stand combining ingredients and timing things when we want to eat. We use a perm. marker to write on the bag what is in the bag (Tomato Sauce), and what to add to the contents (2 C water, 4 garlic slices, noodles), add the contents to the bag, zip it closed, and it is ready.

Hope this sparks some ideas for you all...............
    Chuck
    So. Oregon
    TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
    TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
    SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
    For starters, there are lots of recipes at ziploc.com, and through a google search of "ziploc recipes" which are great/delicious for backpacking/camping.

On the other side, my wife and I use lots of sandwich size Ziploc bags to store individual meals for backpacking. Neither of us can stand combining ingredients and timing things when we want to eat. We use a perm. marker to write on the bag what is in the bag (Tomato Sauce), and what to add to the contents (2 C water, 4 garlic slices, noodles), add the contents to the bag, zip it closed, and it is ready.

Hope this sparks some ideas for you all...............
    Howdy Eaglebait Rancher,
    Man, this is a great thread...I...I mean we(desertrose and I) use baggies all the time. Even when we come back from eating dinner on the strip at out favorite restaurant, the left-overs go straight into a baggy! When we go camping to save space stuff is put into baggies...and we have every size that was ever made and use them all. Baggies, eh...I've never really considered them as anything else but have pre-made omelletes with ham & cheeze in baggies for back-packing trips! Great idea, Eaglebait! Do you have any great ideas! I know you do...the garlic powder is a great boost to just about anything! How do you prepare your garlic...use an oven at low temp to dry it out? Enlighten us, please! Hey, do you carry a first aid kit and what inside it? Of course that's another subject...but I'm positive you could enlighten us heavy-duty car campers a bit! Like Big Dawg says..."just different ways to enjoying the great outdoors!" Looking forward to more threads by Eaglebait!!!!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
      Do you have any great ideas! I know you do...the garlic powder is a great boost to just about anything! How do you prepare your garlic...use an oven at low temp to dry it out? Enlighten us, please! Hey, do you carry a first aid kit and what inside it? Of course that's another subject...but I'm positive you could enlighten us heavy-duty car campers a bit! Like Big Dawg says..."just different ways to enjoying the great outdoors!" Looking forward to more threads by Eaglebait!!!!
      For our food drying, we use a home use food dryer. From about the middle of August through December, it is running constantly drying something. We have "pumpkin pie" drying now: 2 C cooked/mashed pumpkin, 2T honey, 1/8t nutmeg, 1/8t cinimun (sp). Blend together, spread on dryer sheet......... Dry it. When dry (leather) break into pieces and store in a Ziploc bag. Makes great desert for lunch or dinner.

We get commercial made spigetti sauce ON SALE, dry that into leather, and store in Ziploc bags for backpacking.

After we harvest our garlic, we slice up enough to fill 2-3 trays of slices. After it is dried, we will put enough of the slices in a blender to make about 1/2 cup of powder. We will wrap about a cup of slices into a piece of cotton and pound on it = minced (kinda-sorta). This is waht we use for backpacking. We also put up a lot more slices/minced/powder for our own home use and for holiday presents. There truly is nothing like home made garlic powder!

First Aid Kit
      Small prescription bottle filled with vetinary blood clotting powder

5-6 "light days" mini pads - They are not sterile, but absorb a lot when needed, can be easily cut to fit the injury, are compact and easy to store

1 single edged (in the wrapper) razer blade (like those that go into paint scrappers)

Dr prescription of meds to stop infection from injury (I ca't think of what they are called). If I get an infected tooth injury, or something else causing infection, I want to be able to nip it if I am still 3-4 days from my car.

A 4 day supply of the strongest over the counter pain killer I can get

In a plastic screw lid contact lens holder case, I fill one side w/ about a teaspoon of A&D ointment for chafing skin. In the other I fill w/ Chapstick.

3-5 Individually wrapped alcahol sheets

I already have duct tape, nylon cord, and a Leatherman for binding, securing, cutting, whatever.

I can us any of this on either myself, the dog, or llama in an emergency.

Hope this helps!
      Chuck
      So. Oregon
      TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
      SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Yep, sure does help and good info here for other to read also. You are really busy with drying food all autumn long. Thanks for sharin'!

Our usual dessert is peach cobbler where we take a can of peaches and add the liquid to 2C Biscuit powder we take in a loc-n-loc. Mix it together and heat it in a pan with the peaches on the Big Gas Grill, with fresh ground decaf expresso beans and yummy! It's been a good number of years since I last pounded dirt, stepping-out of the way for mule trains packing tourists into the Grand Canyon. Trying to ease back into backpacking from surgery earlier this year is hard. Your info here is great encourgement for me, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Buy individual 4"-6" pie crusts and favorite instant pudding at the store. In camp, heat up the pudding, pour into individual pie crusts, let cool........ Bingo! Dessert/desert... whatever.

Susan is now drying 4-5 flavors of humas. We will store them in zips when we travel. For lunch, about 1 hour before lunch/dinner/snack time, combine equal amounts of dried humus and water. Instant spread for crackers or dip.

Grate orange peel from 3-4 oranges, dry them, take along in zips. At camp, add a teaspoon/whatever to hot cereal for breakfast, or add w/ honey to hot water for a great beverage.

Got extra pumpkin pie at the end of Thanksgiving? Scrape out the filling, mash it flat into a cookie sheet, or on drying racks, dry it into leather. Makes "creative/camping" pumpkin pie flavored dessert on the trail.

Just some thoughts..............
          Chuck
          So. Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebait Ranch View Post
            Got extra pumpkin pie at the end of Thanksgiving? Scrape out the filling, mash it flat into a cookie sheet, or on drying racks, dry it into leather. Makes "creative/camping" pumpkin pie flavored dessert on the trail.
            Interesting...have to try that. Sounds good.
            "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
            sigpic

Comment

This weekend I'm solo camping near Wee Thump Recreation Area, heard that early spring flowers have been spotted. I'm gonna try the orange-peel dried. I got it all prepared and into zips. Eaglebait...when I solo(this is my first attempt since my back surgery last June...I don't take a lot of stuff camping. It's mostly camera equipment like a 4x5 view camera, sheet film, holders and a heavy tripod. I've been retained by a publisher to provide desert fauna transparencies to update a new release on a Wildflower series.

Comment

Careful with boiling in or pouring water in Ziplocs. There is concern about the possible contamination of foods with known carcinogens that may be present in plastic containers and wraps.

Ziploc brand looks ok, but watch out for cheep brands.

http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products...ploc-Bags.aspx

Comment

Re: ZIPLOC Recipes

Great ideas, we are T -2D 4H from our Christmas camping expedition. I am preparing our menus and the ziploc site does have lots of recipes. Thanks for the info!

Peace
                  The Tampa Pirate

Comment

Working...
                  X