X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campgrounds: TENT ONLY

Howdy, TENT CAMPERS ONLY!!

This just might be our Holy Grail Quest! It might not yet be yours( it is mine however), if your like camping at a very nice campground and wake up the next morning and have noticed that over-night you've been surrounded by Large 5th Wheels and RVs you gotta move your campsite! Wow, those RVs are sure crowding this place! It's not that I don't like RVers it's because I don't like camping in the shadow of a luxury rolling tin box!:eek:

This sub-forum is reserved for campgrounds that are designed for TENT ONLY! If you know of a spot in your neck of the woods and would like share it...post it up. If not no problem because it will eventually be found and posted wether your want it posted or not. If you know of a campground that has RVs & tents but has a section set aside for tent only that also qualifies! I believe there are hundreds of these pristine sites all over this great land(sure we got some problems-and we are working on them); it's still a GREAT LAND! I am a tenter and this is my Holy Grail Quest!!

Long Live Tents; Longer Still Tenters!

This is simply a place to list TENT ONLY CAMPGROUNDS. If you have a question about a spot that is linked, please start a new thread. We prefer to keep this as a link thread. That will make it easier to find a Tent only spot.

I use to fear that if I gave away a great site and told no one about it, no one would find it. That's like running onto what you think is a ghost town that no one knows about, you're fooling yourself. I've come back to my secret ghost-town and it's got more people here than I thought! Thanks for looking-Get Campin'
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Here's a spot for tent campers in the great state of North Carolina. Carolina on my mind, maybe James Taylor has sung here, and then again maybe not. But check it out if your interested. Just click on the word "Cached" and you're there!

http://www.passport-america.com/main/cgDefault.asp?ID=2575 - 23k - Cached

Comment

Big Hill Pond State Park

Howdy,
      Big Hill Pond State Park campground is a well-kept secret in the state of Tennessee. This quaint campground features 30 campsites that are excellent for tent camping. Each site is equipped with a table and grill. Since there are no RV hookups and also no dump station, RVers usually do not like to stay there, making this virtually a tents-only camp. What makes this one of the best campgrounds in Tennessee for tent camping is the presence of actual shelters, to which you may hike and where you may stay overnight. This makes your tent at Big Hill Pond State Park campground your base camp as you explore the 5,000 acres of parkland.

The area surrounding the campground features trails totaling 30 hiking miles and 14 mountain biking miles. Travis McNatt Lake measures 165 acres and holds catfish and bass. You may bring a boat, as long as it uses an electric trolling motor. If you are brave, climb the 70-foot-tall observation tower, which offers a spectacular view of the landscape.

The Best Campgrounds in Tennessee for Tent Camping | Trails.com
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-25-2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Here in my neck of the woods in northern Florida, we have "Torreya State Campground". It does have a "Full Facility" campground for the RV set, but also a network of hiking trails with smaller 'primitive camping' sites a short distance away. No vehicular access - you carry everything in and out! These camps are very seldom used, more so by the Boyscouts than anyone else. A very scenic area right on the Apalachicola River, site of a Civil War battle with the gun emplacements still in place. We Rebs defended the river against those Yankee Bluecoats...... :D
        Now though, the birds and animals have taken over.
        The guided tour of the Gregory House is well worth it too. It sits on a high bluff overlooking the river, and houses the campground office.

Map: http://www.floridastateparks.org/tor...torreyamap.jpg

Main site: http://www.floridastateparks.org/torreya/default.cfm
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

It's been a few years,but I camped at Mike Roess Gold Head state park in northeastern Florida near Jacksonville. I believe it was tent only camping. It was a nice place to camp,has hiking trails. Also I camped on the beach at Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve state park.It's located north of Jacksonville. Also you can try Osceola National Forest off I-10 north of Lake City,FL. Theres also alot of good places to primative camp in the Ocala National Forest. Most places I camp are free with no limits on how many days you stay.

Comment

Re: Campgrounds: TENT ONLY

New here, My wife & I have property in Va. mnts. We (I lol) want to keep it primitive & ruff w/ a few cabins. Nothing against RV's ,but they are too big, fancy, eye sores, lol etc. to look at first thing in the morning. I would like to offer the place to anyone travelling thru / or locals, that would like to get back to nature. There are hiking trails on the property & plenty on local sites to see if ya wanna get away for the day. Ten minutes from the BRP, local mountain music venues, and even a Wal-mart 10 min. away for those in DT's. The property is secluded & serene, wild animals, campfires, and soon to be runnning water, lol (someday). I'll do some surfing here & check the site out. Thanks for putting this together, Greg & Peggy.

Comment

For Florida camping you can search the reservation site for the state parks for "tent only". I've found tent only areas at several of the state parks, and was just at one last month. The name was Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. I think it was a former RV park, the tent only area is new. It's right near Destin, with beautiful beaches, and half of the tent sites were partially shaded. The other half had little shade. The two handicap tent sites were not very shaded at all. Natural beach vegetation tends to be low lying. I was lucky to get a spot that had "full shade", although the trade off is that it's kind of near the rv area. There are cabins and bungalows there too. The playground is near the tent area, the pool a little further away. There is a nature trail, but since it was so hot we spent most of our time at the beach in the water. There was a tram you could take to the beach. It was walkable, but a bit far especially in the heat and with all the beach junk people bring. You could also bike. People would use their old kiddie trailers to bring all their stuff.

So far I've found tent only areas at Rainbow Springs State Park and Florida Caverns State Park, but that's only because I've only been looking at those parks. Most of these sites have electric and water. There are the primitive sites also, but those aren't generally reservable online. You can check the campground map online to make sure the tent site isn't the lone site in an RV area like at Grayton Beach. Summer camping is pretty rough in Florida, hot, muggy, buggy, so my husband is a 3 season Florida camper- no summers. I use electric for the fans, so once it cools off I want to try some more primitive sites such as at Cape Canaveral National Seashore. That's canoe in. Or Dry Tortugas National Park- that's ferry or seaplane in, and dry- so all water must be carried in too. Or Biscayne National Park - another ferry in campground. Everglades National Park has a water trail with camping platforms, but you need to have a self supporting tent on those.

http://floridastateparks.reserveamerica.com/

Comment

I share your holy grail quest! Thanks for starting this!

Comment

I live 60 seconds from Timucuan Natl. and can unfortunately say that camping is no longer allowed here. It's a nice place to visit for history buffs though, and has decent little trails.

Comment

For the past 30 or so years (minus my 3 years in the Army 1 year in Iraq) my family has been going to Obey River campground on beautiful Dale Hollow Lake in Tenn. It is operated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Has a campground host and a "primitive camping" section or as I call it "tent city." There are sites right on the lake or 100 yard or more back from it.. Pretty decient amount of space between sites either concrete or wood picnic tables, some have water and elec some have nothing but a fire ring. We love it down there! There is a boat ramp inside the campground, and the main dock Sunset Marina is within walking distance. Never ran into anyone down there that wasnt friendly and willing to help with anything.

Comment

hello, i seen your post on campingforums.com --- can you give me more information about the area and the ground rules. - one tent.. three sisters... looking for a week of camping. with privacy and nearby attractions / things to do.

thanks
                      Pat.

Comment

Working...
                      X