X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campgrounds: TENT ONLY!

Howdy, TENT CAMPERS ONLY!!

This just might be our Holy Grail Quest! It might not yet be yours( it is mine however), if your like camping at a very nice campground and wake up the next morning and have noticed that over-night you've been surrounded by Large 5th Wheels and RVs you gotta move your campsite! Wow, those RVs are sure crowding this place! It's not that I don't like RVers it's because I don't like camping in the shadow of a luxury rolling tin box!:eek:

This sub-forum is reserved for campgrounds that are designed for TENT ONLY! If you know of a spot in your neck of the woods and would like share it...post it up. If not no problem because it will eventually be found and posted wether your want it posted or not. If you know of a campground that has RVs & tents but has a section set aside for tent only that also qualifies! I believe there are hundreds of these pristine sites all over this great land(sure we got some problems-and we are working on them); it's still a GREAT LAND! I am a tenter and this is my Holy Grail Quest!!

Long Live Tents; Longer Still Tenters!

This is simply a place to list TENT ONLY CAMPGROUNDS. If you have a question about a spot that is linked, please start a new thread. We prefer to keep this as a link thread. That will make it easier to find a Tent only spot.

I use to fear that if I gave away a great site and told no one about it, no one would find it. That's like running onto what you think is a ghost town that no one knows about, you're fooling yourself. I've come back to my secret ghost-town and it's got more people here than I thought! Thanks for looking-Get Campin'!!
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-24-2009, 09:04 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Lassen Volcanic National Park

Howdy,
    Northwestern California. All the campground are listed for this NP. There are 5 campgrounds designated as tent only including one tent only group site can only accepts reservations. Southwest Walk-In tent only campground is open year around. Warner Valley, Summit Lake South, Juniper Lake and Juniper Lake Group tent only campgrounds are seasonal. Scroll down through the campground listings and yes you will find tent only cgs in northern California.

Lassen Volcanic National Park is located in Northeastern California. There are five separate entrances to the park, and one Main Park Road which runs North-South through the park. The Main Park Road runs between the Northwest (Manzanita Lake) park entrance and the Southwest park entrance. Dead-end roads provide access to Butte Lake, Juniper Lake, and Warner Valley areas.

Northwest Entrance:
    GPS: 40°32'40"N 121°34'38"W
    From Redding, California: The Northwest entrance is approximately 50 miles east on Highway 44.
    From Reno, Nevada: The Northwest is approximately 180 miles west via 395 and Highway 44.

Southwest Entrance:
    GPS: 40°26'08"N 121°32'02"W
    From Red Bluff, California: The Southwest entrance is approximately 45 miles east on Highway 36
    From Reno, Nevada: The Southwest entrance is 160 miles west of Reno, Nevada via 395 and Highway 36.

Lassen Volcanic National Park - Campgrounds (U.S. National Park ...

Comment

Grand Canyon Below Rim: Tent Only Backpackers

Howdy,
      Here's some useful info on backpacking and camping below the north or south rim of the Grand Canyon. All other campgrounds are listed as well. If you haven't seen the Grand Canyon this should be on your list of places to see and camp.

Grand Canyon Camping

Comment

Horse Meadow Campground, CA

Howdy,
        The campground has two loops. One loop is reserved for tents only and the second loop is for trailers and small rvs. But I must add that I've never seen an RV up there and talking to the rangers they all agree it's a hard climb uphill for an RV and some have tried but none made it so far.

From Kernville, southern California drive north on Sierra Way 19.4 miles; turn right onto Sherman Pass Rd. Sherman Pass Rd is signed "Highway 395 Black Rock Ranger Station." Drive 6 miles and turn right onto Cherry Hill Road and it is signed "Horse Meadow-Big Meadow." Drive uphill 9.1 miles on the surface, sometimes dirt, road to the signed campground entrance road on the right. The campground itself is about 1.3 to 1.5 down the hill. 18 sites: Tent Only, 15 sites for very small RVs. Vault toilets, fee: $5, elevation 7600'. Opens June to early November( may open and close earlier due to snow). Operated by U.S. Forest Service(760)376-3781. Haul out your own trash, no trash pickup!

http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/sequoia

Comment

California

Howdy,
          In Death Valley National Park there is Emigrant Springs Campground.
          Emigrant 10 sites(tent only) open April-Oct. Water, tables, flush toilets. No fires. Located west side of park at the fork of Routes 190 and 178; elevation 2100 feet. No fee. The one drawback is no campfires are allowed. First come first served.

http://www.desertusa.com/dv/du_dvpcamp.html - 33k -

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif[/IMG] Horse Meadow Campground, CA

Howdy,
          The campground has two loops. One loop is reserved for tents only and the second loop is for trailers and small rvs. But I must add that I've never seen an RV up there and talking to the rangers they all agree it's a hard climb uphill for an RV and some have tried but none made it so far.

From Kernville, southern California drive north on Sierra Way 19.4 miles; turn right onto Sherman Pass Rd. Sherman Pass Rd is signed "Highway 395 Black Rock Ranger Station." Drive 6 miles and turn right onto Cherry Hill Road and it is signed "Horse Meadow-Big Meadow." Drive uphill 9.1 miles on the surface, sometimes dirt, road to the signed campground entrance road on the right. The campground itself is about 1.3 to 1.5 down the hill. 18 sites: Tent Only, 15 sites for very small RVs. Vault toilets, fee: $5, elevation 7600'. Opens June to early November( may open and close earlier due to snow). Operated by U.S. Forest Service(760)376-3781. Haul out your own trash, no trash pickup!

http://www.r5.fs.fed.us/sequoia
          Joshua Tree National Park
          We (desertrose & I) have camped at Joshua Tree NP for 16 times out of the 25 years that we have been together! No campground in JTNP is forbidden to RVs or Trailers. However...there are two campgrounds within the confines of JTNP that have length rules and a tenter's options for camping at either one of the two campgrounds are great that RVs won't be found. They are Belle & White Tank Campgrounds. Belle campgrounds surrounds a couple gigantic boulders and campsites are quite small and driveways for vehicles are smaller yet. We've never seen any camp, seen some drive through, but never camped. White Tank Campground has the size limitation of 25' and that includes the vehicle and the towing trailer. I've seen rangers get oot of their trucks and measure a combined distance and tell the camper that they must move their site to another campground!

Camping

There are no hookups for recreational vehicles. Black Rock and Cottonwood have dump stations. At Hidden Valley and all group sites, motorhomes and trailers cannot exceed 25 feet. At White Tank Campground the 25-foot limitation includes the towing vehicle.
          http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/camping.htm - 38k - ***************************************
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

NM: Fawn Lakes Campground

Howdy,
            Located in the Carson National Forest in north central New Mexico in the Red River Canyon and is open all year. However the NPS website says that it is seasonal. Regardless, it's a tenter dream.

Elevation: 8558ft; 2608m

Number of Campsite: 5
            Camping fees are $10.00 per night self-pay. First Come First Served.
            Water: Yes
            Garbage Cans: Yes
            Cooking Grills: No
            Toilets: Vault
            Showers: No
            Site 16 is designed for the handicap

Directions:
            From the stoplight in Questa where NM 522 and NM 38 meet, head east on NM 38, toward Red River. After about 8.3(?) miles, you should see the campground on your right.

Note that the campground is not located where the 1995 Carson National Forest map (nor the 1995 USGS Red River quad) says it is; it is after Elephant Rock campground as you head from Questa to Red River.

The "tents only" area at Fawn Lakes turned out to be perfect. We had site #8, first site on the right of the 5 tent sites. Beautifully situated right on the river, but the tent pad sees a lot of sun until about 3:00 p.m. in June/July. Site #9 is probably the best of the 5 tent sites - good shade and very nice spot on the river - but it was taken. #10 and #11 are on the river as well with #11 tucked against the hill which would block road noise (usually drowned out by the river anyway). #12 is next to the stinky vault toilet and not on the river. We camped here early June 2002.

Comment

Campgrounds TENT ONLY

There is a place called Christopher Run Campgrounds, and also Lake Anna State Park...as for what I know about them,...I dont except they are both on the water and have their own ramps.The state park,I think actually has cabins along with sites.Good Luck

Comment

Eagle Lake Campground, CA

Howdy Campateers,
                Located near Susanville, CA, Eagle Lake is best known for its trophy trout averaging 3 - 5 pounds. The lake's facilities include family and group campgrounds, marina, boat launch, store, laundry, and showers. The area caters to many recreational activities.

Unless otherwise indicated, Eagle Lake area campgrounds are open from late May to mid October. (Please Note: opening and closing dates are dependent upon weather conditions. Also, verify all fee and park information with the Eagle Lake Ranger Station or Lassen National Forest Headquarters.)

Aspen Grove Campground: Tent Camping Only (Elevation 5100')
                Located at Eagle Lake, the campground has 26 campsites with available restrooms, picnic tables, fire rings with BBQ grills and drinking water. This relatively close to Reno, NV so this summer I'll be checking this one out, personally.

Crater Lake Campground, Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA: Tent Camping Only (Elevation 6800')
                Located off of Hwy 44, the campground has 17 campsites with available hand-pumped water. The 7-miles of steep, rough roads that lead to the campground is not recommended for motor homes or trailers. No motors are allowed on boats. Fees are $11 per night. Open from June to October.

Goumaz Campground. Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA: Tent Camping Only (Elevation 5200')
                Located off of Hwy 44, the park has 6 undeveloped campsites that are available on a first come, first served basis. The campground's facilities include: restrooms, picnic tables, and fire rings. Sorry, no drinking water is available at this location.

Great tent only campgrounds are priceless for the tent only camper! Thanks for looking!

Comment

Working...
                X