This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huckleberry campground

This is not exactly a tent only campground, but if you can make it with an RV, then more power to you. It's Huckleberry Campground located about 30 minutes from the entrance to Crater Lake Campground. It's extremely remote. You have to drive about 9 miles on a narrow logging road that is sometimes single lane. The campground is loaded with huckleberries. We picked a few gallons.

There is a deep well that you hand pump. The water is cold and refreshing. We arrived on a Monday and did not see any campers. There were a bunch of peeps picking wild huckleberries.

http://publiclands.org/explore/site.php?id=4318
    Last edited by markkee; 11-13-2013, 10:50 PM.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Tent Only Campgrounds

I see lots of places to tent camp near big lakes across country. I just wish I could find a place to park this truck so I could hike into these areas.
      “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
      ― John Muir

Comment

RENO: Look into Texas State Parks. If you ever venture into Texas, many state parks offer seperate areas for tent campers and those in RV's. This makes for excellent camping experiences. On another note, there are many BLM campsites throughout Western Arizona & Southern Nevada that are not accessable by travel trailers/motorhomnes. If you like being near the water/on a beach, I wopuld STRONGLY recomment Telephone Cove on Lake Mohave. Telephone cove does have travel trailers/motorhomes; however there are a couple spots that are secluded and only allow for a car/truck to gain access to. It is a free camping area within the Lake Mead National Recreation Area and only offers vault toilets - no water (except lake water) and no showers. This area gets extremely crowded with day-campers and folks with jet skis and boats. Shade is scarce, but there are numerous large trees along the shoreline. If you don't care about being directly on the water, there is a road that goes left into Grapevine Canyon. This area offers TOTAL seclusion in a canyon that is breath-taking. Also, camping in the Grapevine offers plenty of shade during the summer months.

Comment

TC, thanks for the info on Texas State Parks; been to Texas a couple of times and found dispersed a pleasure! Concerning Lake Mohave, I lived in southern Nevada(born in Boulder City in 1952) for over 54 years and have been dispersed campin all over Lake Mohave & Mead & Grapevine Canyon(in Arizona) rates on the same scale as 9 mile, 13 mile, 24 Mile Coves(Nevada) as my kinda of campin! Never seen an RV go where I go! I dislike organized campgrounds, plain & simple. Now that I'm living in northern Utah I'm finding dispersed camp all over the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho & Montana and a favorite place in the backcountry of the Tetons! The thread is for anyone with an interest in tent only campgrounds. Personally for me, campin within site or hearing of an apartment on wheels just isn't in the cards of this thread.
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Here's my favorite. It's supposed to be tent only but the last couple of years it seems like someone always wants to wedge a 5th wheel camper into one of the larger sites. Not a big deal unless they like to run a generator from 6 am-10pm. :(

Gunner Pool campground- http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/osfnf...43443&actid=55

My favorite place to camp at LEAST twice a year.

Comment

In the West, tent only sites are common, especially off of dirt access roads, remote locations and high elevations. I like to look for campgrounds when I travel for day hikes or events. Dispersed areas are available on nearly every old logging road.

The best tent only campgrounds are the places that you can't reach by road.
              Last edited by ppine; 11-14-2013, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                We're new to CampingForums. We'd like to go camping this fall in Central California, below 3000 ft, preferably in a Tent Only Campground or Dispersed site. We don't need water or toilets, just enough flat ground for our Kodiak Cabin Tent and shower tent. Can anyone recommend some sites? Obviously they need to be open through October or year round.
                Thanks!
                JibsMan
                Last edited by JibsMan; 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Reno Desert Fox,

The best tent only campgrounds that I have found are on back packing trips. I am not trying to be funny. My point is that even when you think someone cannot pull a trailer or an RV up a steep mountain climb, you still find the RV and trailers. We went to Kangaroo Lake in Northern California in 2012. This alpine lake is a gem. The road is steep and winding. The campground is about a mile away from the Pacific Crest Trail. My Subaru easily made the trip. I did not think we were going to find large RVs. We did.

Our best camp sites are when we drive down a deserted gravel road into the forest and make our own dispersed campsite. Nothing beats free camp sites.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
                    In the West, tent only sites are common, especially off of dirt access roads, remote locations and high elevations. I like to look for campgrounds when I travel for day hikes or events. Dispersed areas are available on nearly every old logging road.
                    Diddo for dispersed camping. We find them all over the west. My method is to find an over priced national forest campground and drive about a mile away. Usually, we find a decent road that goes to the right or the left. Drive another mile and we find an area that has been camped in complete with fire ring.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by markkee View Post
                      I did not think we were going to find large RVs. We did.
                      Never underestimate the power of a large block V8 or a diesel engine - and/or some peoples' willingness to take crazy risks

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Never underestimate the power of a large block V8 or a diesel engine - and/or some peoples' willingness to take crazy risks

Mostly this.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

rivermouth campground michigan DNR Upper Peninsula. The primitive is great! Highly reccomended! You are close enough the ladies can walk or drive to the modern toilets and showers. Great Country up there too. Tequahnemen Falls, MI

Comment

I recently stayed at Quail Creek, North East of St George Utah, It's not "Tent Only" but I never heard a generator or anything, other tent campers I have talked to like it.
                            I give it 3.5 stars, $15 is plenty, and the spot I had was not perfectly level, but better than most.
                            I prefer National Forest or BLM Wilderness areas with NO roads.

I also stayed at a KOA in St. George, Zero Stars, $24, and jake brakes all night.
                            If anyone has any better suggestions, St George Utah, Henderson Nev. and Pocatello Id.,,,,I'm all ears.
                            I don't have a dog so camping in Bear infested areas is a hard sleep.

Comment

Any suggestions for Southern California?
                              New to camping in So Cal!

Comment

Originally posted by MaryA View Post
                                Any suggestions for Southern California?
                                I got nothing for you other than to suggest you check out the National Forest webpage and see what they have there. I have had good luck using google maps to find camping spots here in Arizona.

Also a bump so maybe someone else can share some knowledge.
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X