This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Camo,
    If you have good info and directions there and a web-link you can post it in the Where To Go section in the southeastern section. Thanks.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

In my neck of the woods The Bankhead National Forest-Houston Rec Area is great for tent campers. They allow RV's but have no power,water,sewer. I've only seen a handful of RV's in my 7 years of camping there. I do see a few Pop up's. It's clean and well maintained and quiet except around holidays.

Comment

Bear Heaven Campground

Here's a site from my home state of West Virginia:

Bear Heaven Campground

Fact File: Bear Heaven Campground
        Open: Year-round
        Individual sites: 8
        Each site has: Picnic table, fire grate, lantern post
        Site assignment: First come, first served; no reservations
        Facilities: Pump well, vault toilets
        Parking: At campsites only
        Fee: $5 per night
        Elevation: 3,600 feet
        Restrictions:
        Pets - On leash only
        Fires - In fire grates only
        Alcoholic beverages - At campsites only
        Vehicles - None
        Other - 14-day stay limit
        To get there: From Elkins, drive east on U.S. 33 for 11.5 miles to Stuart Memorial Drive, FS 91, at Alpena Gap on Shavers Mountain. Turn left on FS 91 and follow it for 1.1 miles, then veer left, staying on FS 91. Continue on FS 91 for 1.5 miles to Bear Heaven Campground, which will be on your left.
        For more information: U.S. Forest Service, P.O. Box 368, Parsons, WV 26287;
        (304) 478-3251

Comment

Also for Tent Camping in WV Check out:

The Best in Tent Camping: West Virginia, 2nd: A Guide for Car Campers Who Hate RV's, Concrete Slabs, and Loud Portable Stereos

Comment

I have not been able to locate tent only camping in Texas so far. The camp grounds I have visited/camped were not even seperated. I have to have electric at my site so that limits me a bit. I have been lucky so far I always have the RV's at least 7 sites away....

Comment

Here in West Tennessee is Fort Pillow State Historic Park. It is the site of a Civil War battle, on the Mississippi River. All sites are tent, no electric hook-ups, with "branch water"(hose bib) scattered around. It's basically camping out of your vehicle, and "a little out of the way", meaning it can be a little hard to find. Google/Bing Tennessee State Parks for directions. It is a couple of counties(yes, I said counties) north of Memphis.

Comment

Re: Tent Only Campgrounds

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                Thanks for the input, but there are literally hundreds of Tent Only Campgrounds all over these great states we call the USA. If anyone is interested go to the section "Where To Go" and search your section. If you don't see one but know one post it up. If you don't see any, don't hold your breath too long because sooner or later I'll have your area covered. And that's a promise, by cracky!
                its looking interesting. Thanks for sharing. Keep updating.

Comment

I think this would be considered on-topic:

Maryland:
                  Maple Tree Campground (a private campground)
                  They have tent sites, yurts, and tree houses! (little cabins on stilts)
                  But no RVs!

They are located about 10 miles north of Harper's Ferry and about 1/2 mile from entrance to Gathland State Park (Appalachian Trail).

I spent President's Day week-end there and can't wait to go back.
                  Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Fort Wilderness, at Disney World has two loops that only allow tents and pop-ups (tents on wheels.) The rest of the campground is full of RVs but at least they have several loops that don't allow them. The tent loops are a nicer environment since people are mostly outside and it feels more like real camping.

Comment

I may seem like a lameo for posting on such an old thread but if you go tent camping bear in mind if your camp groung doesn't offer a pottyshed you may have to resort to catholes or pootubes.

Catholes are easy to dig and easy to cover up. Pootubes can are filled as you do your buisiness and need to be emptied at a proper facilty that can accomodate the material within. They can be made from 6" PVC. For more Specific info you can google the word pootube or even pooptube for camping. I may even make a photo series on how to make one and put it on this website.

Comment

Just in case you forgot:

BTW: I love this sign!!!!
                        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I'll plug my favorite park again, Dinosaur, if you have questions on specific campgrounds let me know. I worked there about 10 years ago.

Rainbow Park Campground
                          • 3 sites
                          • No Fee
                          • No water available, pit toilets only
                          • No reservations
                          • Tents only

Rainbow Park Campground is approximately 28 miles from the Quarry Visitor Center. It is located on a dirt road that is impassable when wet. The campground is on the Green River near the boat ramp at the head of Split Mountain Canyon.

Rainbow Park Campground has three shady sites with limited facilities. There is no running water. It has a vault toilet. There are tables and firepits. Suitable for tent camping only.

Rainbow Park Campground is open year-round, but there is no winter maintenance on the dirt road leading to the campground.

Echo Park Campground
                          • 22 sites
                          • $8.00 per site, per night when water is available (late May to late September)
                          • Open all year, water not available in the Fall, Winter, and Spring.
                          • Roads to the campground may be impassable during certain times of the year or after heavy rain.
                          Echo Park Campground is located 38 miles north of the Canyon Visitor Center. It is located near where the Yampa River meets the Green River. Access to the campground requires high-clearance vehicles. RVs and trailers are strongly discouraged due to sharp turns, steep grades, and rough roads.

Echo Park Campground has 22 sites, including one handicapped-accessible site and four walk-in sites. A few sites have shade. Suitable for tent camping. There is running water and vault toilets. No showers. Check with a ranger for current fire-use policy. The campground rarely fills. The water is turned off from September to mid-April, and there is no camping fee at that time.

There is one group site. Download, fill out, and return the group reservation form (Adobe pdf) or call (435) 781-7759 to have a reservation form mailed to you for group site reservations.

Echo Park Campground is open year-round, but access is dependent on weather. The last 13 miles of dirt road are impassable when wet. Winter access is often impossible due to snow.

Deerlodge Park Campground
                          • 7 sites
                          • $8.00 per night, per site when water is available (late May to early October)
                          • Open all year (Water not available in the Fall, Winter, and Spring)
                          • No reservations
                          Deerlodge Park Campground is located 53 miles east of the Canyon Visitor Center. It is located on the Yampa River at the boat ramp at the head of Yampa Canyon.

It has seven shady sites suitable for tents. The sites have tables and firepits. There is running water and vault toilets, but no showers. The water is turned off from October to mid-April, and there is no camping fee when the water is turned off.

Deerlodge Campground is open year-round, but winter access can be very difficult due to snow. When the Yampa River exceeds 18,000 cfs, the campground will flood. This is typically during the late spring runoff.

http://www.nps.gov/dino/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
                          Last edited by Sagebrusher; 04-05-2012, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I've been doing a bit of research on where best to tent camp here in Maryland. I live in central MD and in our county, campsites are pretty much non existent for public use. There are some special exceptions for scouts and other groups.
                            I went on a hiking trip to Cunningham Falls State Park and whilst browsing the visitors center, I purchased a book called The Best in Tent Camping : Maryland. It's written by a local guy. Seems to have some good information. Also picked up some free maps and guides from the ranger on duty.
                            Do you folks find the materials at visitor centers useful? Do you end up with stacks of maps?
                            Last edited by ContinualHarvest; 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

Last year our family found Kangaroo Lake Campground located somewhere near the Marble Mountains and the Trinity Alps. It's way off the beaten path. Kangaroo Lake campground has 18 sites, 13 of which are drive-in and 5 are walk-in.. The road is paved and very narrow. RV are allowed but not recommended. There are no hook ups. They have real walk in sites! The lake is a real gem. It sits down in a little basin about a mile from the Pacific Crest Trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kangaroolake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	69535

There are a lot of nice trails. I ran the Fen Trail which goes through a beautiful fen. It's lush and green. "The Fen Trail is a self guided nature trail with great diversity of plants and geology. Trail is 2 miles round trip with 600 feet elevation gain. Nice views of the lake along the way. For longer hikes, continue on the Pacific Crest Trail. There is also a hiking trail around the lake."

While running, a bear was out foraging. I gave him a nice wave in the air and took off in the opposite direction.
                              Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
                              sigpic

Comment

Newport State Park and Rock Island State Park in the Door County Peninsula of Wisconsin are tent-only campgrounds with walk-in sites only. Good for backpacking or wheelbarrow toting.

Newport is a formally designated wilderness park on the very northern tip of the Peninusula on the Lake Michigan side. In addition to the beautiful nature, you get to enjoy the charm of Door County with all it's shops and cozy restaurants on the way up. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/newport/

Rock Island is a real treat and adventure. You take a ferry from Gills Rock at the northern tip of Door County to Washington Island which is inhabited. You have to get across Washington Island by bicycle, car, or taxi, then take another ferry to Rock Island. Obviously, it is a task getting to Rock Island which is not inhabited. When the last ferry pulls away from the old stone pier, you aren't leaving come hell or high water (unless a life threatening injury, of course). The whole island is a State Park and it is magical. I give it the highest recommendation. It really is a surreal camping experience. http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/rockisland/

I highly recommend Wisconsin State Parks. Wisconsin itself has more inland surface water than any other state in the USA and it is a fantastic place to camp. In addition to thousands of lakes and thousands of miles of rivers we have Lake Michigan on the east coast, Green Bay in the northeast, Lake Superior on the north coast, and the Mississippi River on the west coast. The State Parks are well maintained and managed and are beautiful.

Apostle Islands National Park in Lake Superior in Northern Wisconsin is tent-only island camping which is absolutely specatacular. It is a long distance for most of us, but well worth the adventure. You can take ferries to the islands or you can kayak OR you can take your kayak by ferry to Madeline Island and then kayak to the other islands from there.

Last edited by Mike; 10-06-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X