Dispersed Camping: The Portable Toilet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dispersed Camping: The Portable Toilet

They make a decomposing tp in the camping section of Wally World. I don't want to ever go back to $hit burning detail!
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanx, will check it out next trip.

I don't figure that a quick flash in a campfire would compare to half a 55gallon drum fired by diesel though...

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

:D

Comment

There was an illustrated article over at BPL on, um "hygiene", sans TP. It involved water and a pointy rock. Because really, TP is just unnecessary weight :-)
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
            Because really, TP is just unnecessary weight :-)
            LOL Maybe when it's in your pack and you're walking. If a roll of toilet paper ever puts me over on the weight limit for my truck, I think it'll be well past time for a new truck!

Comment

As a historical note we used these for decades;
              The TP holder (from the 1980s) doesn't seem to be on the market any more.

Tried vegetable matter of all kinds but I drew the line at trying a wooden paddle (ala Norway or Sweden, maybe Finland);
              for me nothing satisfies as well as (2 ply) TP...

Enjoy
              Attached Files
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Received our Thetford 320p (actually arrived before Christmas, surprisingly)
                http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-320p/
                Overall its well made and solid (based on a test sit).
                ...its seat is a bit closer to the ground than I expected; but should be OK.
                It is probably compact enough to not crowd out other necessary (for a senior) gear when we pack the vehicle (...got to remember to fill the freshwater/flush tank before loading).
                I will try it in a corner of the tent to begin with and experience will tell if an auxiliary enclosure is necessary (for smell or privacy reasons).
                The sloped side of the 9x9 dome may require it to be pulled out for use but the vertical sides of the larger tents will make this unnecessary.

Enjoy!
                Attached Files

Comment

Your portable toilet will need emptying at some stage. The question is where do you empty it? While water flush toilets are in some ways more convenient to use they do need special sites to empty them. Many RV sites have these facilities but if you are traveling in the wilds emptying can become a little more problematic. Many areas have restrictions on buying such waste – so check before you travel. Biodegradable sacks, specifically designed for portable camping toilets, are easier to dispose of in open countryside. They usually contain a powder that turns liquid waste to solids. These can then be buried. They should be at least 6” deep and at least 100 yards away from any water source. Toilet paper can take the longest to break down, so it is preferable to have rapidly disintegrating toilet paper (which can usually be found in camping supply stores).

Comment

Well, guys I myself have been a traveler for nearly a half decade and I really use to face this all stuff..Whatever you guys are discussing here; it was the 90s and portable toilets were not popular enough..Now, last year; my son order one from https://itday.com/camping/top-camping- toilet-reviews- guide-choose- best-portable- camping-toilet/ and it's really is cool. We used it on our fishing camping last year. I'd really recommend for others.

Comment

You could always just rent a porta potty online and have it delivered to your campsite. lol

Comment

Originally posted by s1monz View Post
                        You could always just rent a porta potty online and have it delivered to your campsite. lol
                        ...Except that I doubt the delivery companies could find out sites...Tow trucks refuse to try to get in there!
                        Emergency services use a 6 wheel drive rescue vehicle.

... Its just easier to bring/dig your own... when on your own.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                        X