• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool well offline.

Cool well offline.
    I have to use some Thanks.

Comment

Re: Dispersed Camping: The Portable Toilet

We have a Sears Pak-a-Potty, much like your Visa one, RenoDesertFox. We had a pop up camper till this past spring and used it with the camper. We kept it when we sold the camper. If we have an extended power outage, it will come in handy as our septic needs an electric pump. It's also nice for camping, but a bit bulky for tenting, I think. We took it on a church canoe camping trip a couple years ago with our handy pop up shelter/outhouse from Sportsman's Guide and it was great, but a bear to move back to the mainland when full. Blech. When we moved from pop up to tent, I also got a luggable loo seat for a 5 gallon bucket. I figure if we go on another canoe camping trip, that will be much easier to manage than the portapotty, and certainly a whole lot lighter. I do agree that walking to a campground bathroom in the middle of the night is very uncomfortable!

Comment

Hello campers! I hope I am not committing a faux pas by resurrecting this old thread, but I have some important questions that pertain to this issue! renodesertfox, would you mind telling me how this toilet is emptied? Where do you put the waste? I really don't want to talk about this topic at all, but I am about to invest in some sort of camping toilet, and the websites basically give NO useful information. Must this thing be taken to a campsite and pumped off into a septic system? Can the waste be buried? Thank you for your help.

Comment

The the directions are here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7628776_visa...tructions.html

For empty instructions:

http://safetycentral.com/vipopofltomo.html
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I thank you for your links, but I still don't understand. It talks about emptying but it doesn't say where. Into a hole in the ground? You have to pour the waste out? I can't do this.

Comment

If you can't do the emptying and/or cleaning then you might want to search else where. There are many options. For us, I'll make sure the leak odor proof lever is secure. Then I'll separate the upper from the lower half, very easy to detach. Then I'll carry or drive the lower half, which contains the waste to a vault toilet or if a modern campground that has flush-able toilets. Locate an empty stall, unscrew the lid(where I had originally poured in the bio-degrade deodorant). Raise the toilet seat of the toilet, then pick up the lower half of the Visa Potty and pour out the contents. One could wear a mask, but the odor is usually no worse than gutting and cleaning a large mammal(like a deer). Once emptied, screw the lid back on. Wash hands and leave. If one still can't do this then I suggest finding other means. We have used many different kinds of porta-potties over our 40 years of camping, this is the cleanliest I've ever used to date! My wife loves it, except in bear country, then I'll pitch a privacy shower tent and place the potty there at least 50 yards or so from out tent.
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Like what RDF said, you just pour it in a public toilet or you can also use an RV dumpstation (but that the dump drain is more difficult to "hit" than the bowl of a toilet).

I purchased a really nice Thetford Campa-Potti from Wal-Mart for only $69. CLICK HERE for the link. I bought the slightly bigger model than this one, which has a bigger black holding tank.

Thetford is a well-known namebrand of RV toilets, and this porta-potti has a really nice emptying system that includes a flip-out spout that reduces spills/drips when emptying, and it also has a built-in vent that stops the nasty stuff from "chugging" out of the spout and instead pours nice and neat. I typically end up just emptying it at home when I return, which reduces hiking to the campground restroom or having to at least unpack the van a little to get to it for emptying in a public restroom on the way home. Emptying our previous RV sewer tanks was far worse of an experience than this little porta-potti. It's just like pouring gasoline from a large gas can. Don't like the smell? Put more toilet chemical in there and it will smell more like toilet bowl cleaner instead of "business".

We keep it in our tent the entire time we're camping (we have a rather large family tent), and there's no smell. I'm the only adult in our family who camps, and I don't do "big business" in the toilet, but by two boys do. These are the same type of seals that are in most RV toilets -- the holding tank is just a lot closer.

When I store the toilet between camping, I drain the fresh water out of it, put some Thetford (or other popular namebrand) toilet chemical in the black tank along with about a gallon of water. The namebrand toilet chemical will do more than reduce smell and breakdown waste, it will also lubricate the rubber seals, which is very important. Then I also put in a little bit of liquid laundry detergent to help with the smell and because it can't hurt for keeping things a little cleaner than they would without it.

I wouldn't go camping without a porta-potti, since I really don't feel like having to get up in the middle of the night. Not for me, but for both of my boys! Either to find a safe place in the woods (at night) or take the usual hike to the campground restrooms. No thanks!
                Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
                READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Hi renodesertfox

Portable toilets are gaining more popularity nowadays as they are the best option especially for the children and the disabled person. These are becoming popular due to their functionality and usefulness. These products come in very stylish look.

The best part about these toilets is that they have good waste carrier capacity. For proper waste clearance they are offered with proper disposal zipper bags. Certain powders are also provided by the portable toilet hire company. You can add waste to them and it will turn into gel form and can easily be disposed of. These toilets also come with the utilities like hand towels, hand sanitizers, hand wash, freshners etc. For more info about the portable toilets, you can visit http://www.hireportabletoilets.com.au/

Comment

I have the Thetford Porta Potti Curve that is currently on sale for $177.99 at www.thetoiletstall.com. It is taller than most at 17 1/2 inches and comes with a battery powered flush. It has a 5.5 gallon holding tank that detaches from the 4 gallon fresh water storage tank. I use it on week long stays. It was an investment for sure but I tend to "glamp" more than camp. I'm thinking of going with a 7 gal. bucket and the seat from Lugable Loo along with disposable bags for shorter trips. Too much hassle to use the Thetford for just a couple of nights out.

Comment

Since a spammer (porta-john rentals to camp? lol) has stirred up this old thread, I'll just add my two cents.

This toilet is the best money I've ever spent for camping equipment. Seriously, I wish I had purchased one for all the years my kids were growing up. I've had it many years and it's fantastic. No odor, no leaks, easy to empty in a regular toilet. I have no personal interest in the company. I see many people selling the same generic potty under quite a few different names.

I paid around $50 for mine and see it's $60 on this listing with free shipping. The same one is on a bunch of other listings for more money so don't be fooled. I just went in and measured mine and it's actually a tad over 16" tall. I have two bad knees, that both need replaced, and it's very easy to get up and down off. Currently, it's stored in my bathroom and it's approximately the same height as my house toilet.

Personally, I would not pay for brand name as this generic toilet has served me, and many others, very well for 25% of the price. When it is full, a wheeled luggage cart is perfect for toting it to the bathroom. It easily lasts 2 weeks of night time only use. Additionally, it's very sturdy (rated for people up to 440 lbs!!!) so no worries about cracking.

Comment

Well, since we are on the subject...

This is one of the bigger basin baby potty options - it is longer than it is wide. It is by Summer and costs around $10. Has rubber feet so no sliding around. Great for a kid or a small adult - it is about as big around as a folding camp stool.
                        The catch basin (white part in the pic) can separate from the chair part (teal color in this pic) Use kitchen size trash bags on top of the white part, and puppy piddle pads and/or kitty litter inside to catch your "business". Bag gets thrown away when done.

Last edited by actad; 12-11-2015, 06:46 AM.
                        - Laura
                        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Over the last several weeks I have been researching low to medium priced portable flushable toilets.
                          Thetford seems to stand out as semi reasonably priced and their products actually have a warranty and spare parts available.

Ordered one of their 320p porta potties.
                          http://www.thetford.com/product/porta-potti-320p/
                          It looks like it will probably serve 2 people for 4 days (long weekend) or more between emptyings.
                          This matches up pretty well with our average trips over the last several years....(crosses fingers).

The cheap chinese units' virtually universal, repetitive on line reports of; short life, leakage, parts failure, lack of warranties, poor/no customer service and no spare parts, made up my mind against them and for the Thetford products.

Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-23-2015, 12:31 PM.
                          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I tried the flushable toilets once. Figured it would be ok. But after a weekend of 4 people using it, it was nasty. I could deal with my young daughter, but not my teen age son or wife. After human waste sets for a while, it is freaking nasty. So I went bag to the lug a loo, and if you make #2 you are responsible for changing the bag afterwards and putting it in the "do not burn" bag.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Ah, the joys of having a small RV. I just attach my macerator and dump everything down my clean out at the house. A four day trip will only fill up the tank 1/4 of the way.
                              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

...I hear you...
                                Since there will only be the wife and I using it (sometimes only myself, i.e. while hunting) I figure that the amount of nasty will be minimized (one reason I didn't go for the bigger model).

Right now I'm looking for accessories/tips to make it work better;
                                Some suggest bagging (and burning) the TP to minimize the undissolved solids (and clogs).
                                Another suggestion is to use a spray bottle to help keep the bowl clean (I'm thinking maybe with dissolved Polident tabs (worked to clean the camelback)).

Enjoy!
                                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                                X