Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispersed Camping: The Portable Toilet

Howdy,:o:o
    Portable toilets are now considered a must for your camping trip, for a number of reasons. Comfort is the most obvious but you'll also save yourself the bother of contracting poison ivy and other maladies you can pick up when using the wilderness as your bathroom. Perhaps the most important reason to use a portable toilet when camping is to protect the environment from the negative affects of human waste. Over all, a portable toilet should be considered a standard part of your camping kit. We are looking for a replacement for our Coleman Can. So I'm just sharing my thoughts.

Why Do I Need a Portable Toilet?
    The environmental benefits of using a portable toilets in the outdoors are substantial. If you answer the call of nature without a portable toilet you risk contaminating the soil as well as nearby water sources. With thousands of campers using national parks and forests year after year the impact is not small.

Saving your own hide is another benefit. Whether you're in a campground or on the trail, nature is rife with dangers such as poisonous plants and venemous snakes that may be hidden under rocks and brush. Portable toilets protect you from these risks. Also, portable toilets contain the smell of urine and solid waste, keeping your campsite pristine throughout your trip. Portable toilets are designed to lock closed and come with liners that can be tied up away from the campsite, keeping odors at bay.

Where Can I Get a Portable Toilet?
    Most outdoor and recreation stores carry a selection of portable toilets. Some departments or home stores may carry them as well. Shopping online may give you the widest choice of prices, styles and features. Expect to pay an average of $100 and be sure to get extra liners as most manufacturers only provide a few to start with.

By using a portable toilet you can be sure that you are not harming wildlife or wildlife water sources. And you can go home knowing that you are not going to need to see the family physician a week later because of a rash you got by squatting over a poisonous plant.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

But...... then we can't 'mark territory'.......
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Too late - I already went "organic" last year...:D
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Seriously though, two problems I have with portable terlits (southern name) is first, the size - most of my camping is done by motorcycle, and soon canoe.
        Second problem is most simply don't support my weight - I'd hate to crush the thing after making a ..... deposit.....

Generally, in the wilds, I do as the bears do. But I do use 'catholes'.

Comment

Also, if somone is looking for a little privacy with using the portable toilet, get a small portable shower shelter, or a double shower shelter. Also gives you privacy for changing, if that's an issue for the ladies.

Comment

I know I carry jeep/tent camping to the extreme. Sometimes we will drive a 4x4 recommended road for 62 miles(the most one way ever to-date) and pack out not only all trash, but human waste, toilet paper, other people's cigarette butts too, even the ash from our campfires! I'm a firm believer in leave no trace at the campsite. I haven't figured out a way to wipe out my tire marks(but I'm thinking) but I can understand the motorcycle's in-ability to pack out what is packed in. And as far as human waste is concerned, if the cat-hole is dug deep enough and buried properly then there is no problem of leaving human waste where it's left. I'm positive generations before us, even the native Americans weren't as careful. A portable toilet is just an extra nice item to have along in a jeep/auto for the softer female camper. My bride loves the idea and I live with it and I'm also responsible for caring for that :o thing! Yuck, but it's not that bad! And a portable shower stall also works wonders too! Just thought I'd share.

Comment

Portable Pottys, Update

Howdy,
              Here's our latest equipment purchase. It's a "Visa 268 Portable Flush Toilet." It's made by a company called Sanitation Equipment, go figure, and the reviews I've read and the research involved in picking a better and cleaner model had me doing bathroom runs for over a month. This is it. It's claimed that you can keep it in your tent with you and it won't chase you out because of ordor. Yeah right, we will be testing that out soon! $114.95 with free shipping! It's not in-expensive, but if it makes my desertrose happier, all the better for it. It comes with a 6 gallon holding tank and is claimed that it can go more days between cleaning. Like vegasdesertrose tells me, if I smell bad then I sleep outside the tent, the same holds true for this contraption. http://www.sanitationequipment.com, if anyone is interested. Dimensions: 14.5" x 16.5" x 16"
              Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Looks like quite the contraption. How much does it weigh? Let us know if it works/smells.

Comment

Yep Mike59, I'll be sure and let everyone know. Dry, without any thing in it, she weighs 12 lbs. I put "Out of Order" signs in all three bathrooms of our home so the first test has begun. So by Monday, 11-9-09 will be the first report card! Thanks for asking!:o

Comment

Nice looking rig - as toilets go. Does it use the Blue Chemical stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                      Nice looking rig - as toilets go. Does it use the Blue Chemical stuff?
                      Bet your bottom dollar it does! I must tell everyone that this is the best investment I've made with going green!!!! Tested it this weekend. Number twos that would kill an elephant or cow, whichever came first! No ordor, no stench!!! I'm impressed. Sorry it has to wait until Thankgiving Weekend for its...err...a...a second maiden voyage! It has worked great so I'm not going to empty it until it shows full, yuck!!! Got the old gas mask ready and new filters for it too(Army Surplus)! We seem to like this great invention. Better than digging cat holes or squatting over who-knows-what! No stink! No stench! So far a great product!!! Everyone needs one!!Heehee!!:D

Yes, BD. It uses the blue chemical stuff and that can stain hands, so great care must be taken or I always put on a pair of latex gloves as my hands are rather rough from working in the old film photography days of processing, ie. dip and dunk methods. Ammonia sulfate was one ingredient that always really dried out the skin on my hands. That blue chemical stuff is called "Holding Tank Deodorant." Fancy name. Corrisive to eyes and skin, yipee, just like photo chemicals. It even breaks down waste fast. I just cleaned ours up having tested it, in house for two weeks. I was the only user, desertrose promised she would try it camping only. Well, when I put on gloves and a mask, there was no solid waste in there at all and no bad stench either! I'm impressed, will see what happens this coming Thanksgiving weekend when WE field test it?
                      Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

i have a 5 gal bucket that carries my 2 gallon cooler while traveling and if needed i use the lugable lou seat when at camp. or its my trash can. with liners in both cases. in fact now that i proof read this what about using the seat and cover on the trash can (bucket) to keep the bugs out? take it inside at nite for the misses, (no food scraps inside.) change bags in am and a nice clean trash can for all day.

and i made a shower stall that snaps on the side of my tent trailer and i have a 6 gal collaspable bucket (that i wont need now) and a 12v pump and shower handle. all switched and i have a 20 ft 12v cord to power my fan, dvd, cpap etc otherwise, so i use it for the shower outside. DO NOT RUN PUMP DRY! dont even plug it in untill pump is underwater.
                        Last edited by donnyonee; 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Dispersed Camping The Portable Toilet

Had a quick look and looks like most of the cheaper units are desgined solely for in-car use.
                          So none really suitable for portable use for more than an hour or 2?
                          russian woman marriage

Comment

Thanks for looking, but ours wasn't cheap, $114 isn't cheap!

Here's my report from taking it to the field, downrange and how it impacted us! We had it in the tent the entire trip! The directions for use were very easy! We like it alot, especially in the wee little hours in the hour! When mother nature called we didn't have to get dressed and put on boots and a jacket, grab a flashlight and stumble to the vault toilet, hoping that it wan't being used by someone else! We had our Own!! #2 & #1 were contained wonderfully! No ordor! None! Zip! Nada!! We Loved it! It will always go with us from now on!! Thanks for looking!!
                            Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-04-2009, 10:22 AM. Reason: Update!

Comment

You ought to try a bag to store it in as wellhttp://www.pottibag.com

Comment

Working...
                              X