• Pie Iron Pizzas

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Pizzas[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Ingredients:[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']-Pie Iron[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']-Bread[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']-Pizza Sauce[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']-Butter[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']-Shredded Mozzarella[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']-Toppings (Pepperoni, Onions, Green Pepper, Etc.)[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']-Crushed Red Pepper (Optional)[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Butter one slice of bread and put it buttered side down in the pie iron. Then spread pizza sauce and add the cheese and toppings to the other side. Finally, butter another slice of bread and place on top of the other with the buttered side facing up. Close the pie iron and set on top of warm coals for 10 minutes or until bread is toasted golden brown.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
    The Wacky Otter
    social@wackyotter.com
    www.wackyotter.com

Pie Iron Pizzas

Forgot to add you put in habanero smashed or diced or the pepper sauce in the meat while it is cooking - to taste.
    belarus wife

Comment

I do like those. However I got burnt one time cooking this exact dish. Had my square pie iron and had cooked the pizza. As I was opening the iron the bread was stuck on one side and opened a crack in the bread. Of which oozing hot cheese shot out of right onto my leg. Burns were not too bad but still think I got a couple of scars from that one. So be careful when opening those irons.

Comment

Wonder if the Pie Irons were invented by bored Cowboys on the range...... :D

Clean 'em off good after branding the steers.......
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Pie Iron Pizzas

Originally posted by Sford13 View Post
          I do like those. However I got burnt one time cooking this exact dish. Had my square pie iron and had cooked the pizza. As I was opening the iron the bread was stuck on one side and opened a crack in the bread. Of which oozing hot cheese shot out of right onto my leg. Burns were not too bad but still think I got a couple of scars from that one. So be careful when opening those irons.
          I've had this happen a few times too. I belive it's because I didn't add enough butter on the outside of the bread, so then it stuck to the pie iron when I opened it. Since they, I've made sure that there was enough butter all over the outside of the bread. I haven't had an issue since. Hope this helps.

The Wacky Otter
          social@wackyotter.com
          www.wackyotter.com

Comment

Would the Pam canned oil spray work too? Wouldn't worry about having to keep butter cool then. :confused:

Comment

I would think that you would have to use a good dose of it to make the bread toast. You could use some buttered Crisco as it does not need refridgeration like butter does. But I have tried neither of those.

Comment

Pie Iron Pizzas

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                Would the Pam canned oil spray work too? Wouldn't worry about having to keep butter cool then. :confused:
                I haven't tried this either. It would be nice not having to keep the butter cold. Then again, you would still need to keep the cheese cold. In any case, please let us know if you try it with Pam. Thanks.

The Wacky Otter
                social@wackyotter.com
                www.wackyotter.com

Comment

We use cooking spray on the inside of our pie iron and it works just fine. Just a light spray before each dish does the trick.
                  -Adam
                  www.GetOutandGoCamping.com

Comment

I use it when baking taters and fish or shrimp on tinfoil, so I figured it would work for the pie irons too.

Comment

We perfer butter, not the fake stuff. Just my 2 cents.:D
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I would think that if butter was the only thing I had to keep cool I would go with the spray. But since we carry a cooler for drinks and other perishables putting a small tub of butter in there is not a biggy. Guess if you like the butter taste you can always buy the butter flavored spray.

Comment

I use the 'olive oil' flavored spray when I bake my fries.......

Comment

We have the square model pie iron, does anyone use the round one or the double?
                            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We use both the square and round one. If you are not a crust person the round one is good. I also like the round one better for dessert type pies. Because again just seems better without the crust. It truely is amazing what all you make in one of these things.

Comment

Working...
                              X