Canopy/Screen House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canopy/Screen House

Since we just bought a Columbia Sun Basin II Screen House, I thought I'd start a thread. The Sun Basin II (new for 2009) is actually made by North Pole and appears to use common designs with the First-Up line of canopies available through Walmart, Dick's (Quest) etc. I can't say all the parts are interchangeable as it appears from the on-line manuals the designs differ just enough so parts compatibility isn't guaranteed. There also appear to be some similarities to the Swiss Gear 10x10 canopy but I can't find anything that says the SG stuff is made by North Pole

My observations - the canopy is separate from the frame - it must be removed and installed each time the canopy is erected. Otherwise, the canopy/frame doesn't fit into the storage bag. Not a big deal, just a little extra time during set-up. There are quite a few hold down straps to attach the cover to the frame. Be careful with these - I didn't get one installed right and tore a hole in the cover when I put the thing up. I repaired the hole with tent repair tape from McNett (they make Seam Grip) and glued the loose mount for a velcro strap down with Seam Grip.

Overall, the frame appears to be good quality as does the top. The top is treated for UV and water resistance but I haven't tried it in the rain yet. I seam sealed some of the parts that were sewn into the top anyway. The material on the SBII is 150D and a little thinner than what I have on my EZUP. (I bought the SBII because the coverage on the EZUP is too small.)

The screen room is a nice add. It goes on easy and fits taut around the poles.

Additional features - this is a straight legged canopy so the coverage is a true 10x10. The top has rain gutters sewn into the fabric to keep water from pooling along the center edges. I don't know how well these work yet because I haven't tried it in the rain but folks on Amazon and Walmart have reported damaged frames due to pooling rain water on some canopies.

The price for the Columbia units is a bit more than the Swiss Gear one and considerably more than the one from Walmart. I bought off Amazon mostly because Walmart is out of stock on line and the local one doesn't have any either. The delivery was free with Super Saver shipping and only took about a week to arrive after ordering.
    Last edited by Rob22315; 08-18-2009, 01:49 PM.

Hang on to the receipt! :D
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      Hang on to the receipt! :D
      It's probably too late for a return since I've already damaged the cover.

Are you making that suggestion because you think it likely I'll end up asking for a refund or because it's a good consumer habit?

Comment

Howdy Rob,
        Pardon me for chiming in, but North Pole is a very good company and I have friends who have also purchased the Sun Basin II and have had some of the same dilemas that you have shared with us. When my friends asked the company not for a refund as such but called to tell them what happenned during their first time out with the structure, North Pole really stood behind their product and sent my friend a replacement, no more questions asked! And free shipping, to boot! That's very impressive and perhaps the same nice treatment might lean your way if you were to call the company and politely tell them what happened to you. It couldn't hurt, and besides it is always a good idea to keep all receipts. Just thought I'd share. Good luck!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for the tip

and for chiming in. I'm glad to hear North Pole stands behind their product. I really like the Sun Basin II and am glad I purchased it but I haven't field tested it yet. Sorry if the review sounds too negative. I'll call them and see if they're willing to replace the canopy.
          Last edited by Rob22315; 08-18-2009, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Great! Howdy Rob, what did you find out?

Comment

Nothing yet, I sent them an email this AM. Some folks have reported the phone call weight is lengthy so I didn't go that route. I had emailed them previously to get an electronic copy of the users manual. They responded in 2-3 days which was reasonable. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Comment

I"ve yet to have worked with a company that did not stand behind their products - providing I had documentation to show the date purchased and place of purchase. After all, a "new" model may be five years old and it's only fair to ask the date of purchase. With one caveat: wheverver there is no "lifetime guarantee", I like to be able to purchase at a brick-and-mortar location. That way (and it's happened to me on several occasions) I can take the stuff back and tell them "it broke first time out" and get a full refund.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I got an email back, they asked me to call the warrantee number. I just called and it looks like they're going to replace the top under warrantee. I'll update once I actually hear back from them as the warrantee folks haven't reviewed my claim yet. They've asked me to submit the receipt along with a note about the part/repair.

RG

Comment

Originally posted by Rob22315 View Post
                    I got an email back, they asked me to call the warrantee number. I just called and it looks like they're going to replace the top under warrantee. I'll update once I actually hear back from them as the warrantee folks haven't reviewed my claim yet. They've asked me to submit the receipt along with a note about the part/repair.

RG
                    Howdy Rob, there are a lot of folks here at camping forums happy for you! It's lookin' good!

Comment

The warrantee folks confirmed they received a copy of my receipt. No word yet on a replacement.

I just went into Amazon and made a pdf of the invoice. Sent it in via email.

Comment

I have friend that purchaseed a canopy at Sport Authority, it's the old Gart Brothers. Anyway, they offer a $10 "insurance" policy on any damage. He has replaced his twice already with only having to purchase the $10 "insurance" again.

Next time I'm in the market I'll be purchasing from a retailer that offers that. I usually never buy the add on warranty at the register, but sometimes it's a good value.

Good luck.
                        JohnJohn
                        ---------
                        Forum Admin

Comment

Well, I got the new part but it was the wrong one. I asked for a new top and they sent me a new screen. If at first you don't succeed . . .

Comment

A second screen, now that's a start I'm happy for you that you at least started the complaint process up with a faulty piece of equipement! It'll pay eventfully, I hope.

Comment

Victory

The new canopy top came in the mail today. THANK YOU North Pole and the folks here at CampingForums.

You guys were right. :D
                              Last edited by Rob22315; 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X