Propane Canisters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Canisters

Does a 16 oz disposable propane canister contain 16 fluid ounces (1 pint) or is that the weight of the canister? The reason I ask is that I bought a small propane tank (TW-9.8 lbs and WC-13 gal) and am trying to figure out how many of the 16 oz canisters it equals. It filled with 1.5 gal of propane. Does that mean it equals 6 of the canisters?:confused:

propane bottles are rated in pounds. The little one you are talking about is a 1 pound bottle, or 16 0z of fuel inside the tank (so they say)
    the big tanks for a grill is 20lbs. You tank should say how many pounds it holds. A 20 lb tank holds about 4.1 galons of liquid propane.

you said it took 1.5 gallons,
    128 oz in a gallon
    192 oz in 1.5 gallons
    192 oz % 16 oz (1 pound) = 12 1 pound bottles

Comment

The cannisters are marked 16.4 oz. Net Weight. I don't think that is equal to fluid ounces which would be the volume.

Maybe because the gas is liquid only when under pressure? I know propane is sold by the gallon and put into tanks that are rated by weight, i.e. a 35 pound container takes about 5 gallons of propane. It doesn't take much to confuse me and this does.

Regards,

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by keithmessinger View Post
        The cannisters are marked 16.4 oz. Net Weight. I don't think that is equal to fluid ounces which would be the volume.

Maybe because the gas is liquid only when under pressure? I know propane is sold by the gallon and put into tanks that are rated by weight, i.e. a 35 pound container takes about 5 gallons of propane. It doesn't take much to confuse me and this does.

Regards,

Keith
        You and me both, brother. I'll e-mail Coleman to see if they can clarify this.
        I agree with the 16.4 oz being the weight of the canister, but it doesn't say how much liquid propane it contains. The curiosity is getting me.:rolleyes:

Comment

Net weight means the weight of the contents, and does not include the weight of the container (tare weight). A disposable cylinder contains 16.4 oz of propane by weight, not volume. That is a tiny bit less than one quart.

Depending on what source you ask, propane weighs from 4.22 to 4.27 pounds per gallon, so using 4.25 makes calculations easy. A 20# cylinder theoretically holds 4.7 gallons. Due to differences in tanks and the new OPD valves it may accept slightly more or less. I have one 40# tank that actually accepts 37.6#, which is about a half gallon short of it's stated capacity.

Originally posted by thedub88 View Post
          you said it took 1.5 gallons,
          128 oz in a gallon
          192 oz in 1.5 gallons
          192 oz % 16 oz (1 pound) = 12 1 pound bottles
          You are using liquid ounces in place of weight. The two are not even close to being equivalent. A gallon of propane (128 liquid ounces) weighs 68 oz. If you want to talk in terms of volume, 1.5 gallons of propane will equal six disposable cylinders, with a very small amount left over.
          Never underestimate the power
          of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Working...
          X