+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Propane Canisters

Lesserman is on a distinguished road Lesserman's Avatar

Default Propane Canisters

MuttShop 125x125
    Does a 16 oz disposable propane canister contain 16 fluid ounces (1 pint) or is that the weight of the canister? The reason I ask is that I bought a small propane tank (TW-9.8 lbs and WC-13 gal) and am trying to figure out how many of the 16 oz canisters it equals. It filled with 1.5 gal of propane. Does that mean it equals 6 of the canisters?

thedub88

propane bottles are rated in pounds. The little one you are talking about is a 1 pound bottle, or 16 0z of fuel inside the tank (so they say)
    the big tanks for a grill is 20lbs. You tank should say how many pounds it holds. A 20 lb tank holds about 4.1 galons of liquid propane.

you said it took 1.5 gallons,
    128 oz in a gallon
    192 oz in 1.5 gallons
    192 oz % 16 oz (1 pound) = 12 1 pound bottles

keithmessinger is on a distinguished road keithmessinger's Avatar
    East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

The cannisters are marked 16.4 oz. Net Weight. I don't think that is equal to fluid ounces which would be the volume.

Maybe because the gas is liquid only when under pressure? I know propane is sold by the gallon and put into tanks that are rated by weight, i.e. a 35 pound container takes about 5 gallons of propane. It doesn't take much to confuse me and this does.

Regards,

Keith

Lesserman is on a distinguished road Lesserman's Avatar

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by keithmessinger View Post
    The cannisters are marked 16.4 oz. Net Weight. I don't think that is equal to fluid ounces which would be the volume.

Maybe because the gas is liquid only when under pressure? I know propane is sold by the gallon and put into tanks that are rated by weight, i.e. a 35 pound container takes about 5 gallons of propane. It doesn't take much to confuse me and this does.

Regards,

Keith
    You and me both, brother. I'll e-mail Coleman to see if they can clarify this.
    I agree with the 16.4 oz being the weight of the canister, but it doesn't say how much liquid propane it contains. The curiosity is getting me.

Politically Incorrect Curmudgeon is on a distinguished road Curmudgeon's Avatar

Net weight means the weight of the contents, and does not include the weight of the container (tare weight). A disposable cylinder contains 16.4 oz of propane by weight, not volume. That is a tiny bit less than one quart.

Depending on what source you ask, propane weighs from 4.22 to 4.27 pounds per gallon, so using 4.25 makes calculations easy. A 20# cylinder theoretically holds 4.7 gallons. Due to differences in tanks and the new OPD valves it may accept slightly more or less. I have one 40# tank that actually accepts 37.6#, which is about a half gallon short of it's stated capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by thedub88 View Post
    you said it took 1.5 gallons,
    128 oz in a gallon
    192 oz in 1.5 gallons
    192 oz % 16 oz (1 pound) = 12 1 pound bottles
    You are using liquid ounces in place of weight. The two are not even close to being equivalent. A gallon of propane (128 liquid ounces) weighs 68 oz. If you want to talk in terms of volume, 1.5 gallons of propane will equal six disposable cylinders, with a very small amount left over.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information