propane & or grill problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propane & or grill problem?

Ok I don't know if I want a propane grill one I can carry or use the little gorge foreman grill my folks got me for christmas? as long as I can get a electric site?
    Last edited by Chile Chef; 05-13-2009, 12:07 PM.
    My cooking site!

Howdy Chile
    So you got a tent, that's great but if you get an electric site then you may be completely surrounded by RVs and they have generators and generators make noise no matter how quiet they say they are. In a tent you have absolutely no sound barrier...good luck!

A gas grill or a george forman grill...depends on your menu. Need to make up a menu before you go camping. Or you can engorge yourself on peanut butter & jelly sandwitches. That my friend is a personal choice. Have you practiced setting up your camp at home in the backyard? Try cooking an experimental meal with both grills then decide which is easier.

And you're looking for a Tilly Hat, just click on the amazon link here advertized on camping forums and it will take you there to amazon. Amazon sells tilly hat for about $67.00 and that is for the real thing not a cheap immation. Good luck!

Sportmansguide has good dependable cots for sleeping on, and if it should break under weight, send it back and they will stand behind their products. It's a good company. It's http://sportmansguide.com
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-14-2009, 06:47 PM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
      Howdy Chile
      So you got a tent, that's great but if you get an electric site then you may be completely surrounded by RVs and they have generators and generators make noise no matter how quiet they say they are. In a tent you have absolutely no sound barrier...good luck!

A gas grill or a george forman grill...depends on your menu. Need to make up a menu before you go camping. Or you can engorge yourself on peanut butter & jelly sandwitches. That my friend is a personal choice. Have you practiced setting up your camp at home in the backyard? Try cooking an experimental meal with both grills then decide which is easier.

And you're looking for a Tilly Hat, just click on the amazon link here advertized on camping forums and it will take you there to amazon. Amazon sells tilly hat for about $67.00 and that is for the real thing not a cheap immation. Good luck!

Sportmansguide has good dependable cots for sleeping on, and if it should break under weight, send it back and they will stand behind their products. It's a good company. It's http://sportmansguide.com
      Thank you for the reply & the link VDF, I know I've cooked on the foreman grills for a long time and they're very easy to clean up. I know some sites will not have electric sites or already taken up by other campers.

My mom has a freind who has to move and her hubby has a small propane grill but it's all rusted, What do you think about that VDF? Would that be safe to cook on? or should I look for a different small propane grill? And bring along the foreman?

By the way I'm getting the Tilly hat in 2 weeks, Should be good for photography, Flipping your baseball cap around back wards is Ok for a short time but not very professional looking, How ever the tilly hat is professional looking in many situations, and can be used a fly hat for your dry & wet flies.

I haven't sat the campsite up in the backyard so far, I'm waiting for a nice sunny day, And I will be getting my chance in June some time, MY landlord has to re carpet my place do to a pet oder the previous owner left. So I will spend the night at my folks with my gear.
      Last edited by Chile Chef; 05-14-2009, 09:03 PM.
      My cooking site!

Comment

Howdy Chile

It's the fire and heat that cooks the food not the rust. I know that sounds dumb, but it's true. I had a barbecue grill that I just got rid of and had it for over 20 years. It was all rusted out and it didn't look to good but man, cajun roast beef was sure good cooked on it. I had to reinforce the legs, replacing them with steel legs to support the weight of what I liked to cook. I just had to be careful when loading it into my old international scout that rust didn't rub off and get into the truck. It's not the look that I'm after it's the dependability. When I go camping I too scare alot of campers off because I dress for me not the crowd. Can't stand crowds anyway.

Comment

Howdy Chile

It's the fire and heat that cooks the food not the rust. I know that sounds dumb, but it's true. I had a barbecue grill that I just got rid of and had it for over 20 years. It was all rusted out and it didn't look to good but man, cajun roast beef was sure good cooked on it. I had to reinforce the legs, replacing them with steel legs to support the weight of what I liked to cook. I just had to be careful when loading it into my old international scout that rust didn't rub off and get into the truck. It's not the look that I'm after it's the dependability. When I go camping I too scare alot of campers off because I dress for me not the crowd. Can't stand crowds anyway.
          Thank you very much VDF, I think I'll ask my mom to grab that little grill for me.

I think it's going to be the best situation for all around cooking even at a river after I catch the fish!

By the way on a side, I found a fly fishing casting video and I've been prating in my apartment with just the bottom pole and real, Yeah I know it's not the way to do it, But it will give me much aim when I'm ready!
          My cooking site!

Comment

Howdy Chile Chef,
            About your fly fishing, I suppose you have already been told this however here's my 2 cents for whatever. Cast with your forearm not your wrist. If your whip the fly with your wrist you can easily lose your fly by whippng the knot you're tied the fly with off your line. It's a simple four stroke, that is just beautiful when perfected.

Comment

Howdy Chile Chef,
              About your fly fishing, I suppose you have already been told this however here's my 2 cents for whatever. Cast with your forearm not your wrist. If your whip the fly with your wrist you can easily lose your fly by whippng the knot you're tied the fly with off your line. It's a simple four stroke, that is just beautiful when perfected.
              Your 2 cents is worth more then 2 cents, I listen to friends, and I'm consider you a forum friend.

Your right the youtube tube video said the same thing, and it don't grib the pole hard or you will have cramps.
              My cooking site!

Comment

VDF, What do I look for when I get the grill to make sure it still works?
                My cooking site!

Comment

Howdy Chile,
                  See if they, the people your getting the grill from, still have the instructions for the grill. Is it a propane grill or a charcoal grill? Better yet when you get the grill, take a photo of it and put it up here in the photo gallery section then everyone can chime in too if they want to about your grill. Also when you do get the chance to practice setting up camp, take a couple of photos of your practice camp and share those photos as well. I'm not the only authority here on camping there are plenty others who would be more than happy to chime in to offer advice. It's called sharing ideas.

PS: I visited your home web page...looks pretty nice.
                  Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-16-2009, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Howdy Chile,
                    See if they, the people your getting the grill from, still have the instructions for the grill. Is it a propane grill or a charcoal grill? Better yet when you get the grill, take a photo of it and put it up here in the photo gallery section then everyone can chime in too if they want to about your grill. Also when you do get the chance to practice setting up camp, take a couple of photos of your practice camp and share those photos as well. I'm not the only authority here on camping there are plenty others who would be more than happy to chime in to offer advice. It's called sharing ideas.

PS: I visited your home web page...looks pretty nice.
                    Hello VDF, It's a propane grill, the grill it self rusty,The grill has no instructions and it's one of those propane grill's that has the little water bottle looking propane container, And it looks like it's meant for camping.

Thanks for the page visit, I've had major update since, And I've adding a lot of articles, images, re did the front page and put up a new banner.
                    My cooking site!

Comment

Howdy Chile,
                      Okay that's good, easy for just starting out camping. The little propane tanks can be purchased at Wal-Mart for about $3.00 a bottle, one will last a weekend end but it's always good to have a spare. Now the grill, it should come out of the stove easily for cleaning. Get some steel-wool and scrub thr rust off if it concerns you. I have cooked with cast iron on that kind of grill and had no problem. The stove folds pretty flat and that is good for transporting it to your site, even if you are traveling by bike. Don't forget to take along some strike-anywhere matches, cause once you turn on the gas you'll have to ingite the gas to get the flame. Sounds to me like you're getting ready just fine. Hope this helps.

If you are not sure about the gas connection, once it is connected to a propane tank, turn on the gas and pour a little bit of a soap and water mixture over the connection. If you see bubbles appearing that means the connection isn't seated properly or the connector piece itself is dented beyond repair. Wal-Mart also sells those parts in the camping section to retro-fit an old stove to make it new. It is not too hard to fix, and some people would just throw their stove to the junk pile and not try and fix it. It is your's now, so that choice is up to you, you know, freedom of choice and all of that. Good luck!

Comment

Howdy Chile,
                        Okay that's good, easy for just starting out camping. The little propane tanks can be purchased at Wal-Mart for about $3.00 a bottle, one will last a weekend end but it's always good to have a spare. Now the grill, it should come out of the stove easily for cleaning. Get some steel-wool and scrub thr rust off if it concerns you. I have cooked with cast iron on that kind of grill and had no problem. The stove folds pretty flat and that is good for transporting it to your site, even if you are traveling by bike. Don't forget to take along some strike-anywhere matches, cause once you turn on the gas you'll have to ingite the gas to get the flame. Sounds to me like you're getting ready just fine. Hope this helps.

If you are not sure about the gas connection, once it is connected to a propane tank, turn on the gas and pour a little bit of a soap and water mixture over the connection. If you see bubbles appearing that means the connection isn't seated properly or the connector piece itself is dented beyond repair. Wal-Mart also sells those parts in the camping section to retro-fit an old stove to make it new. It is not too hard to fix, and some people would just throw their stove to the junk pile and not try and fix it. It is your's now, so that choice is up to you, you know, freedom of choice and all of that. Good luck!
                        Thanks VDF, Yeppers, I'm getting ready just fine, Thanks to this site, And thanks to different sites on the web via google
                        My cooking site!

Comment

Working...
                        X