new to tents :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to tents :)

I recently decided to start tent camping, just need to experience some more nature. I have a eureka tent picked out and some new boots. I plan to get a few other things as i go. How do you stay busy when camping? I plan to be riding my mountain bike around. I appreciate any tips i can get

Howdy dust10,
    Welcome to Camping Forums where we not only chat about camping we really do it! Hope your stay with us is a long and happy journey! Others will chime in and I may a little later, thanks for taking the time to join and hang in there getting approval! Moderation lasts from four posts to no more than six posts or threads.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Generally my camping is while doing a road trip. By the time we get to the campground and get set-up and fed, we are tired and turn in early. Not much 'spare time' to fill.
      If camping in one place for a few days, we usually have activities (rides, touring, wrenching, etc.) that keep us busy.
      Since I'm single with no kids, I don't have to worry about keeping the kiddies occupied.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I appreciate the input. I certainly plan on fishing and biking. Just willing to try new stuff! Thanks again!

Comment

Howdy dust10,
          If you take a little time, I wrote a series on buying a tent right here in this forum column. It is no longer on the first page, but if your scroll down to the page numbers there you will find some needed info, or a starting if you will. A lot of thought should go into buying a tent and if you've never camped, better try it out close to home in case you decide the motel or rv route. Specific questions are great, we don't know what you're looking for to be specific, see what I mean. Hope this helps you asking more questions because that is what chatting at campingforums is all about. Helping one another, enjoy!

Comment

Keeping busy

Hi Depends on the site as to what keeps me busy. I am always busy for an hour or two setting up and taking down camp. I stay busy for an hour to an hour and a half around meals with cooking, eating and cleanup. I too enjoy biking. I have a four year old to keep occupied. It really depends on the park. Someplaces we will fish, others we will swim, some we will boat and still others we will do all of those things. The first few times I wondered how I would stay busy...... Now I wonder if I will find some down time. As I am sure many of the members who have had children know going camping with a four year old is similar to camping with a meth addict (as far as the energy level). On the plus side I laugh a lot and enjoy every minute of time I have with my boy.

Comment

I take a good book , hiking boots, fishing gear, and a wife. Under ideal conditions each of these will occupy a piece of my day. Under less than ideal conditions the grand-kids are there and I play referee and I hide all the batteries to their games and other fun things.:rolleyes: I also enjoy cooking and that keeps everyone happy.:D
              2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
              2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
              I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

Howdy,
                Oops, I was out in left field photographing flowers and everything else that moves or doesn't move. That's what I like to do when camping, cooking & clean-up too. Trying new receipes and spending my time with my best friend my wife!

Comment

Thanks again for all the tips. I believe me and my girlfriend are going to a campsite out here near Alexandria, LA memorial day weekend, with another couple who goes often. We are going biking (I ride alot), fishing and just hang out. I will certainly let yall know how it goes. I just need to get out there before it gets too hot! Do yall have much heat and humidity to deal with as we do down here? and if so how do you cope?

Comment

Howdy dust10,
                    Heat yes...humidity no. It's a very dry heat, like a blast furnace. I cope by staying close to our spa(above ground). Go camping where it's cooler like the mountains of surrounding states and central Nevada. When it's hot I drink plenty of cold water and soak up the sun. But we don't camp here in the summertime to hot! The pioneers did it before us so why should we? It is very hard to survive without air conditioning but when I was younger it did bother me more then, now I'm more use to the heat and can deal with it easilier.

Comment

It gets miserable out here. I certainly plan to take a weekend trip somewhere a little further north.

Comment

Working...
                      X