Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broken elastic on tent pole – how to repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken elastic on tent pole – how to repair?

The elastic nylon on one of my tent poles has suddenly gone limp, causing my tent poles to no longer snap into place. I've gone to Marmot looking for a replacement pole and found that they do not sell such a thing. I've seen replacement elastics for sale, but I don't have any idea how to open up a tent pole and replace this.

Alternately, I could buy some kind of replacement 3rd party tent pole, but I have no idea where I would find such a thing. Any ideas?

All the best,
    Peter

Howdy pgwerner,
    Here is a link, that might get you started. In the real world no one wants anyone to know this information. They(manufactures ) want you and everyone else to go out and buy a new tent; or quit camping all together.

http://www.campinglife.com
    Once in camping life serach "fix old gear," Tent pole repair," or "nylon rope repair." Should be good stuff.

Hey, pard, if it works come back and tell us how you did it so everyone will know. Snapping nylon strapping in tent poles could be done but it has never happened to me. Even if you go camping and buy a new tent, come back and chat here...would love to hear more from you, thanks for the question. Hope this helps?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
      Howdy pgwerner,
      They(manufactures ) want you and everyone else to go out and buy a new tent; or quit camping all together.
      Yep, that's the impression I got.

Hey, pard, if it works come back and tell us how you did it so everyone will know. Snapping nylon strapping in tent poles could be done but it has never happened to me. Even if you go camping and buy a new tent, come back and chat here...would love to hear more from you, thanks for the question. Hope this helps?
      Actually, I took a closer look at it and managed to figure out a quick fix. It turns out, the ends do unscrew, which is something I hadn't noticed. Inside, the shock cord is tied by a simple knot to the screw/end. The shock cord somehow lost a lot of its elasticity (not sure how), but I simply pulled a bunch of it out and tied a new knot lower down. The tent pole snaps together again. Ultimately, I should probably buy a some replacement cords just in case.

Vegasdesertfox, eh? Actually, right now I'm prepping for a trip to Red Rock Canyon (the California one), Death Valley, and I-395. Wonderful country!

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Yep, good luck there in Red Rock Canyon in CAL. Been there plenty of times, lots of 4x4. As of now I'm the deputy marshall in these boards and you be welcomed back any time! Let us know how your adventure goes and take a camera too to share some photos. Would love to see your rig!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
        X