Tent camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping?

I like to go tent camping this summer, and I basically have no friends to go with since they all moved away!

So what would one do in my situation?

I know I want to get a tent and I have pretty much everything else.

I have this gear all ready

I have a back pack, I got a 20 below sleeping bag, I got a fly fishing rod, and some misc equipment.

So what's the first step?
    My cooking site!

Howdy Chili Chef,
    Perseverance pays dividends here and I am happy to see that camping is in your veins. The most important thing besides a small tent to give you a temporary house to camp in and allow yourself privacy is deciding where you might want to go. Michigan is a beautiful state and there are plenty of places to go.

One idea is to download a free version of http://www.googleearth.com,
    this will help in deciding where you might want to wander. I fly fish from a kayak so I'm happy to see that at least you know how to fly fish(its the best way to earn dinner even breakfast.

How to get to the place you want is another question, we don't know if you have a motor-bike, car, jeep or what? If you have nothing now there's buses. When I graduated HS back in the old days, I wanted to go to a National Park and had no tranportation. So I used my thumb and got to the National Park in a couple of days. Sure it was scarry then, but I did it.

You don't need a friend to go with but it is nice to spend time camping with someone you care about eventually. I haven't backpack since I turned 50 and that was a rim to rim trip at Grand Canyon National Park. My wife dropped me off at the north rim and she drove 250 miles to the south rim to meet me in 3 days. I hiked only 25.7 miles but it took three days. That is the last time I will backpack alone(getting to old). Hope this helps? Give us more details if you will? Oh, and thanks for sticking around, most folks get an answer and leave in a couple of weeks.

Another avenue to approach is to get on this site like you are now and click on Amazon.com and search for items that you don't have and amazon will have them(they have everything now) and some things are very inexpensive. Buy want you can afford, there's a section called where to go and their are helps in that section on how to find a state park or national park. Hope this helps?
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-02-2009, 12:20 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
      Howdy Chili Chef,
      Perseverance pays dividends here and I am happy to see that camping is in your veins. The most important thing besides a small tent to give you a temporary house to camp in and allow yourself privacy is deciding where you might want to go. Michigan is a beautiful state and there are plenty of places to go.

One idea is to download a free version of http://www.googleearth.com,
      this will help in deciding where you might want to wander. I fly fish from a kayak so I'm happy to see that at least you know how to fly fish(its the best way to earn dinner even breakfast.

How to get to the place you want is another question, we don't know if you have a motor-bike, car, jeep or what? If you have nothing now there's buses. When I graduated HS back in the old days, I wanted to go to a National Park and had no tranportation. So I used my thumb and got to the National Park in a couple of days. Sure it was scarry then, but I did it.

You don't need a friend to go with but it is nice to spend time camping with someone you care about eventually. I haven't backpack since I turned 50 and that was a rim to rim trip at Grand Canyon National Park. My wife dropped me off at the north rim and she drove 250 miles to the south rim to meet me in 3 days. I hiked only 25.7 miles but it took three days. That is the last time I will backpack alone(getting to old). Hope this helps? Give us more details if you will? Oh, and thanks for sticking around, most folks get an answer and leave in a couple of weeks.

Another avenue to approach is to get on this site like you are now and click on Amazon.com and search for items that you don't have and amazon will have them(they have everything now) and some things are very inexpensive. Buy want you can afford, there's a section called where to go and their are helps in that section on how to find a state park or national park. Hope this helps?
      vegasdesertfox, Ever since google 1.0 came out a very long time ago, I've been using for years.

Holy crap a hike of 27.7 miles, I hope that's a round trip?

I would probably ride my bike or bike in a to a nice camping site that has rustic cabins already, Then fly fish off the River!
      My cooking site!

Comment

Originally posted by Chile Chef View Post
        vegasdesertfox, Ever since google 1.0 came out a very long time ago, I've been using for years.

Holy crap a hike of 27.7 miles, I hope that's a round trip?

I would probably ride my bike or bike in a to a nice camping site that has rustic cabins already, Then fly fish off the River!
        Howdy CC,
        Nope that was a one way trip. North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park to the south rim. First day was all down hill for 14 miles. Second day easy for 8 miles and the third day was all up hill for last little bit. But I was 50 years old when I did that, too old for such a monster canyon. Remember it is a mountain in reverse. Backpacking days are done. I did fly fish the Colorado River down there and caught two trout.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

CC, welcome to the camping world! Lone camping can be rewarding, and you'll likely end up meeting others 'out there' who will become friends and possible future camping partners. Also check out any local outdoors or wilderness sports shops - they might have hiking/camping trips planned where you could meet other locals interested in camping.
          What kind of bike - MC or pedal?
          I do some Motorcycle Camping myself. Great way to get into the woods where trucks can't go - I'm 52, and don't do much hiking either.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by vegasdesertfox View Post
            Howdy CC,
            Nope that was a one way trip. North Rim of the Grand Canyon National Park to the south rim. First day was all down hill for 14 miles. Second day easy for 8 miles and the third day was all up hill for last little bit. But I was 50 years old when I did that, too old for such a monster canyon. Remember it is a mountain in reverse. Backpacking days are done. I did fly fish the Colorado River down there and caught two trout.
            WoW, All I can do is 3 mile hike one way, so about 6 miles round trip, and all this with a camera bag on the back, Not bad for one who has "had" heart aliments though?

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
            CC, welcome to the camping world! Lone camping can be rewarding, and you'll likely end up meeting others 'out there' who will become friends and possible future camping partners. Also check out any local outdoors or wilderness sports shops - they might have hiking/camping trips planned where you could meet other locals interested in camping.
            What kind of bike - MC or pedal?
            I do some Motorcycle Camping myself. Great way to get into the woods where trucks can't go - I'm 52, and don't do much hiking either.
            Well I have a mountain bicycle that has a motor and I can carry a ultralight pack which would have a tent, And I could rie in and out, I rather ride a bicycle then walk any day , LOL.
            My cooking site!

Comment

Working...
            X