X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Originally posted by action View Post
    Very nice....Love it
    Thanks. I started looking at the pictures and thought....man, this looks familiar.

To be fair, I have been drinking. :drunk:
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

quick camping trip to Lake Jennings near san diego, rained a lot but still had a blast

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	70738Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	70739

Comment

Originally posted by organometallica View Post
        quick camping trip to Lake Jennings near san diego, rained a lot but still had a blast

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5939[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5940[/ATTACH]
        Nice, was that shot of the lake taken from your campsite?
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

yes, this is a pic from my campsite. We've had so much rain in san diego the winter everything is very green.
          Attached Files

Comment

Managed to get out for a couple of nights this week with my 12yo son and 5mo pup at Starve Hollow State Rec Area (IN). The campground has 90 sites...including us, there were 3 sites occupied. We were the only tenters. lol I finally managed to get a waterfront site somewhere in the state of Indiana where I could camp. It was soooooo nice waking up and having coffee looking out over the lake.

Temps 60-70f during day, mid 40-low 50f at night. Winds Tuesday night and Wednesday morning made cooking over the fire challenging.

Did some fishing, no catching. Was able to work Willa quite a bit off leash since no one was around (she loved it). She did better than I thought she would (I had this image of me having to call the spouse and explain the dog just took off...I lost her in the woods, etc. lololol).

Was also able to continue to test some newer gear: the GasOne single burner stove (working well-does what it's supposed to do), the Blackstone griddle (a hit for toasting tortilla shells, and cooking pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs-still practicing temp control), the ccgear rug (for the pup to lay on-much better than the fabric rug I brought last trip), and a small (knee height) aluminum table from Trekology. Perfect for around the campfire with our lower height chairs. My son also took it into his tent later at night to put his tablet on for movie watching and to use as a nightstand.

All in all - good trip. Loved the site so much I booked a couple more nights at the end of July.

Name:	SH1.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	70758

Name:	SH2.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	70759

Name:	SH3.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	70760

Name:	SH4.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	70761
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Nice. Here's one from my last camping trip... The first is from the beach below my campsite. The second is looking at the campsite. And the third is looking out from my chair.

Name:	Codorniz Sunset.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	70762

Name:	IMG_20170308_103602.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	70764

Name:	IMG_20170307_161011_hdr.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	70763
              Last edited by toedtoes; 03-31-2017, 10:54 PM.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I finally got my pictures on my new computer. This is from our trip last fall to Yellowstone. Before we left we decided to put a sleeping platform in the CR-V so we could sleep in the car instead of worrying about taking down a wet tent in the mornings. It allowed us easier travel and was very comfortable. When everything is in its place it was easy to move a few items to the front seat and spread out the sleeping bags and pads.

We planned to camp in Yellowstone for 4 nights but due to the snow we only camped in the park one night. After many warnings to make sure the tent fit inside the tent pad they gave a site without a tent pad, the snow made it very muddy. We decided to sleep in the car instead of setting the tent up in the mud. We decided to stay at a different campground about 20 miles away the second night. We loved Yellowstone, but we decided to leave after the second day.

We ended up in Colorado and thanks to the help of a ranger we found our dream campsite. During the week days there were only a couple of other campers there. The views were amazing.
                This was the first test of the rug I made from the sunshade material. The rug worked almost as well as the cgear sand mat and is much softer on the knees when crawling out of the tent. It folds up very small and is a lot cheaper. Plus, I can put the tent stakes through it. I plan to make a couple more.

This was the view from sitting by the fire ring.

Sorry the pictures are so large they don't seem to want to resize.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
                  I finally got my pictures on my new computer. This is from our trip last fall to Yellowstone. Before we left we decided to put a sleeping platform in the CR-V so we could sleep in the car instead of worrying about taking down a wet tent in the mornings. It allowed us easier travel and was very comfortable. When everything is in its place it was easy to move a few items to the front seat and spread out the sleeping bags and pads.

We planned to camp in Yellowstone for 4 nights but due to the snow we only camped in the park one night. After many warnings to make sure the tent fit inside the tent pad they gave a site without a tent pad, the snow made it very muddy. We decided to sleep in the car instead of setting the tent up in the mud. We decided to stay at a different campground about 20 miles away the second night. We loved Yellowstone, but we decided to leave after the second day.

We ended up in Colorado and thanks to the help of a ranger we found our dream campsite. During the week days there were only a couple of other campers there. The views were amazing.
                  This was the first test of the rug I made from the sunshade material. The rug worked almost as well as the cgear sand mat and is much softer on the knees when crawling out of the tent. It folds up very small and is a lot cheaper. Plus, I can put the tent stakes through it. I plan to make a couple more.

This was the view from sitting by the fire ring.

Sorry the pictures are so large they don't seem to want to resize.
                  I like your idea of using the milk crates with lids for your sleeping platform
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                    I like your idea of using the milk crates with lids for your sleeping platform
                    Thanks James, it was my husbands idea. Our seats don't fold flat and the milk crates are the same height as the highest point of the seats. We had a platform over the seats that were hinged in the middle like doors. It was the perfect size to putour clothes in packing cubes.

Comment

Thanks James, it was my husbands idea. Our seats don't fold flat and the milk crates are the same height as the highest point of the seats. We had a platform over the seats that were hinged in the middle like doors. It was the perfect size to putour clothes in packing cubes.
                      I too like the design, great idea. I have the same problem in my car, but it's only 3" difference between folded seat height and the flat back, so I just stuff an extra pad under the back part to level it out. I gotta ask though, what are you using for the platform on top?
                      "It's not adventure if you have to pay for it"

Comment

Originally posted by OMark View Post
                        I too like the design, great idea. I have the same problem in my car, but it's only 3" difference between folded seat height and the flat back, so I just stuff an extra pad under the back part to level it out. I gotta ask though, what are you using for the platform on top?
                        We used PVC to build a platform. The side my husband is on goes to the floor in front of the seats. The platform is hinged in the middle the get to our clothes. We packed our clothes in packing cubes and they fit nicely in the space. Not shown in the picture we stapled Velcro to the board underneath to wrap around the out side edge to keep the boards from bouncing.

Name:	Building Platform.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	70784

I sewed velcro to some cloth to put over the hinges so the sleeping pads wouldn't get pinched. We were comfortable sleeping in the car, the only bad thing was we could not sit up all the way.
                        Also it is hard to see in the other picture but I made a hammock to go between the handles above the back doors. It had pockets for our glasses and a place to put the flashlights, phones, keys and such.

Name:	Sleeping platform.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	70785

Comment

Denni - Can you provide some more detail and/or closeup pics of the rug you made sometime in the future? The material and the process? Perhaps when you make another one. I agree regarding the ccgear mat being a bit "scratchy/rough" (although I knew that from reviews before purchase). It works well...but I'm always looking for different ideas.
                          Last edited by a65hoosier; 04-30-2017, 06:17 AM.
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I would like some more info on the mat as well.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                              Denni - Can you provide some more detail and/or closeup pics of the rug you made sometime in the future? The material and the process? Perhaps when you make another one. I agree regarding the ccgear mat being a bit "scratchy/rough" (although I knew that from reviews before purchase). It works well...but I'm always looking for different ideas.
                              Last year I read someone used shade cloth to make rugs to go outside their tent. I was looking for a rug that was inexpensive, easy to sweep, dry quickly and rain would drain through. I bought some shade cloth online and made a couple of small rugs. We really liked the way they worked. The material doesn’t seem to fray, so we then just cut a square and decided to see how it would work without hemming. We spread it outside the tent and staked it down. The sand swept off easily and it is easy on the knees. It seems to be holding up well. A roll of the shade cloth is about $30.00 for 6’ x 15’. For the cost, I am not afraid to drive a stake through it and it folds up really small.

Name:	Test rug.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	70792

Name:	Shade fabric rug.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	70791

Name:	Shade fabric.jpg
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	70790

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                              Last edited by Denni2; 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Finally got out and had a blast with most of the old gang (damn shame when you get old and people are "out on medical"), some new old gang (people I've known for years but never been out with us) and met some new people. Four days of mostly good weather, the requisite good food, good tunes and now, good movies. The cheapy projector I bought exceeded expectations and the 18x30 tarp I took out for the first time saved the day when a thunderstorm rolled in on Thursday. But, as expected, we had a great time and started planning a Fall trip.

Comment

Working...
                                X