Campsite Photos Everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campsite Photos Everyone!

Love the setup - especially the living room/bedroom tent. And I'm sure the pictures didn't do that view justice.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
      Happy Joe - Neat set-up. I "began" the consolidation and load lightening several years back. I say began because it is an ever changing process. It's a good excuse to re-evaluate everything and get to tinker/get new stuff to reduce and comfortably consolidate. lol My trips are typically 2-3 nights (and a longer one thrown in once/twice a year).

Consolidation has, in our case, made the whole process of gear and vehicle packing, camp setup/camp take down, packing up the vehicle at camp and unpacking it again back home, gear clean-up at home and gear storing blah blah........a much much faster, "less thought process" and "less muscle aches" process to getting out whenever....and getting back. Throw in tight menu/food and clothing planning, and you can go very light, very minimal, and car camp comfortably.

After only having a sedan to camp with for several years, we learned quickly to only bring what we were functionally going to use (excluding safety and weather gear). 3 of us...no external storage on car. There were no "we might use it items" on those trips. If it didn't get touched/used on one trip, we left it home the next trip to try to gain some breathing room (we had plenty of "we shoulda brought that" moments as we went along). Everything else, gear-wise...over time...we've comfortably "shrunk". Even now that we've gotten an SUV again and moved away from the sedan, we still kinda look at the vehicle as an "oversized" backpack and are judicious in the use of that extra space we now have gained back. The less I need to take, the less I need to touch.

I do have to ask about your Labor Day coffee set-up. What is on the table? Around the perculator-windscreen? Cooking with alcohol? etc. etc.

ps...your morning coffee comes with better scenery than the cup I'm having right now.
      On top of the end table...
      A stainless plate (to protect the plastic top),
      a windscreen
      (not visible) Svea 123R (circa 1970's) running white gas/Coleman fuel
      an 8 cup Faberware percolator.

There is a partial can of Maxwell house coffee, a spoon to measure the coffee, a double walled coffee cup and the blue towel that I use to wrap the stove (with a Velcro strap).

I go through cycles of way to much stuff then pare it down to minimal, and gradually build back up to way too much again...

At the beginning of this summer I increased the camping vehicle size; from Jeep CJ to 2 door explorer (near twice as much room) so I have been going over board on the stuff; but I will slim down (honest I will)...

Enjoy!

(edit);
      Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Love the setup - especially the living room/bedroom tent. And I'm sure the pictures didn't do that view justice.
      Thanx!...I try to plan for bad weather and visitors. (I have a long term plan to make the cot convertible to a couch).

For some reason this old camera doesn't see the pink and orange (sunset colors) in the clouds... don't know if they can be recovered using Gimp

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-13-2016, 10:41 AM. Reason: added reply to MacG...
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Potato Creek State Park - about 12 miles south of South Bend, IN. 287 electric sites. 70 sites in the horseman area. Fishing, hiking, paved 3 mile bike trail thru woods, reg mountain bike style trails, swimming beach. Nice park. Link to official site: http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/2972.htm

We had heavy heavy rain Friday night trailing into on/off showers Saturday am. Wind really picked up after the front came thru (25 sustained, gusts higher) Saturday morning/lunch. Our site was on the higher side of a circle (thankfully) so it drained quickly. On my walk, I spotted 2 damaged RV awnings, a few pop-up shelters in the trash, several tents with pole damage, one tent completely blown off it's site and into the tree line, and quite a few tents with tarps draped over them. I didn't walk the entire campground, but assume the other loops I skipped had similar damage. Depended on the wind direction and whether you had good break and whether things where properly staked down, etc. I know I had both of our tents fully guyed out and the Noah 16 was strapped down not only at the corners but also along the edges. I was dry under the tarp and in the tents.

The sun did peek through finally by Saturday late afternoon. Sunday am was a fine sunrise, crisp/cool temps kinda of a day...except we had to get back for an early afternoon soccer game which meant an early camp strike.

Overall, it was a wet trip...coupled with insatiable mosquitos. Not one of our better trips overall in 2016. I probably had the best time of the 3 of us which isn't saying much since I am the "gung-ho" camper of the family. lol

Our site and our current car camping set-up for me/wife and our son (12) looking into the site from the front:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_180650_1473607120606_zpsvxfjs6pj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	70630

And a panoramic view from the back of the site looking out into our loop. Most sites are fairly large size.

Name:	20160910_190153_1473607399510_zpsaqxhejdo.JPG
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	70631

Seen quite a bit of this around the campground. A lot of sleeping bags/blankets hanging on lines drying.

Name:	20160910_165513_1473607110594_zps5ksvfu3q.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	70632 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_164815_1473607108587_zpsxgy90gho.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	70633

This tent did not fair so well. The owners packed up late Friday after the downpours began and did not return until Saturday night. They "did" do some repairs and had it "kinda/sorta" pitched by nightfall:

Name:	20160910_173914_1473607094085_zpsxmqtrhvi (1).jpg
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	70634
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-12-2016, 06:24 PM. Reason: For grammar. You shouldn't post after evening cocktails. ;)
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Some pictures from my last trip. Can't wait to get back up there.

Name:	20160903_173750.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	70638Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_082619.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	70639Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_090018.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	70640Click image for larger version

Name:	20160905_154146.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	70641
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Great pictures and campsite James. I envy you campers out West that can easily find a good view and wide open spaces. Indiana generally is farmland, flat, with some decent forested areas in the south part of the state. I can see why you can't wait to get back to that spot.
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
              Great pictures and campsite James. I envy you campers out West that can easily find a good view and wide open spaces. Indiana generally is farmland, flat, with some decent forested areas in the south part of the state. I can see why you can't wait to get back to that spot.
              Yeah, I never really thought about it untill I stumbled upon a youtube chanel, Chris Travels, where a guy from the midwest was living in his van here in Arizona and take 1 and 2 day trips to the forest for fishing, kayaking, camping, etc. He would talk about the weather and clear sky (specifically the sunsets) and comment on how people here in AZ don't know how good they have it. It kind of woke me up.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

The first trip with the new Kodiak.

Took out the first incarnation (many more to come, I'm sure) of my solar rack made from 3/4" pipe and Kee Klamp fittings. A bit heavy but worked very well.

Looking good at dusk

Last edited by MacGyver; 09-25-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Here's the light fixture that makes for a nice subtle light at night - great over the table to see what you're doing and just enough light to see the guylines and footfalls around the site.

Took me forever to figure out the camera to show how the light actually looks, but this is close.

Comment

Here are my photos from my most recent trip, which totaled 6,350 miles and covered 19 states. I'm a minimalist and like to keep things as simple as possible. Some of you have really amazing setup's, but those aren't for me. I think I'm gonna try winter camping this year or next somewhere in southern Sequoia National Forest. That area is a transition zone between desert and forest.

Name:	IMG_1153.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	70702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	70703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	70704Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	70705
                    Attached Files

Comment

I thought I'd post the stats of my trip from Los Angeles to Chicago if anyone is interested. The eating places were stops for lunch. I cooked dinner at the campsites every night.

​Total miles.
                      Ending mileage: 63257
                      Starting mileage: 56907
                      Total miles traveled: 6,350

States touched and number.
                      1 California
                      2 Nevada
                      3 Arizona
                      4 Utah
                      5 Colorado
                      6 Nebraska
                      7 Iowa
                      8 Illinois
                      9 Indiana
                      10 Kentucky
                      11 Tennessee
                      12 Georgia
                      13 Alabama
                      14 Mississippi
                      15 Louisiana
                      16 Arkansas
                      17 Oklahoma
                      18 Texas
                      19 New Mexico

Most beautiful state.
                      Utah

Highest speed limit.
                      80mph-----Utah

Lowest speed limit.
                      70mph----- Several states

Amount spent on gas.
                      $600.63

Total gallons of gas used.
                      258.057 gallons

Average gallons per fill up.
                      10.752 gallons

Number of fill ups.

Most expensive gas.
                      Arco $3.399/gallon
                      Baker, CA

Cheapest gas.
                      Quiktrip $1.969/gallon
                      Tulsa, OK

Average mileage.
                      24.6mpg

Number of campgrounds.

Most expensive campground.
                      $25/night
                      KOA campground Chabanse, Chebanse Illinois

Cheapest campground.
                      $0/night
                      several campgrounds

Most memorable attraction.
                      Abraham Lincoln museum and tomb, Springfield, Illinois

Best pizza (tie).
                      Lou Malnatti's Pizzeria in Chicago, Illinois
                      Proto's Pizzeria and Napoletana in Denver,
                      CO

Best burger.
                      Honest Abe's burgers and Freedom in
                      Lincoln, NE

Best seafood.
                      Rusty's Riverfront Grill in Vicksburg,
                      Mississippi
                      Last edited by sailmike; 11-15-2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Recently got the Mountain Hardware Hunker 1 tent. I set it up in our living room and laid down in it for a bit to check it out. Seems to be very well built from what I can tell so far.

I'll do a video preview of it shortly.

SW

Name:	tent.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	70709
                        "Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

http://www.stillnesswilderness.com

Comment

Absolutely! Mountain HardWear is a top-shelf company like Marmot and Big Agnes, etc. Their lower-tier line is "Columbia", both are owned by the same holding company. Sometimes the Estero, Florida outlet store for Columbia has Mountain HardWear items, but not very often. I have a Mountain HardWear polarplus jacket that is every bit as good as the old Patagonia one I wore out.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

That thing looks bomber.
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Son and I escaped the crowds and cash registers this past weekend by getting out for some excellent hiking and an overnight car camp at Turkey Run State Park (IN). The campground had more campers this time (24-36) than last Feb (3) when the wife and I camped here. I counted 5 tent-only campers of the 24-36 sites being used this trip. Temps ranged from 50's during the day (sunny) and hovered around 32 lows at night/early am (clear). Winds averaged 10 mph or so.

This was my first trip in the BA Yahmonite 5 pyramid tent. Very nice lightweight option. Fast set-up with the single pole...I had it set-up before my son finished pitching his tent. A palace of space for one (in this case) or two..with gear/dog/etc. His tent, I believe, was definitely "warmer" than mine as he could zip up his mesh on the inner tent doors. I failed to get the BA fly close to the ground...which allowed for excellent ventilation as cold air blew under the fly, over the bathtub floor top edge and right thru the inner mesh nest all night (enough that when laying down on the pad I could feel a steady cold draft-breeze? on my face if I turned toward the tent wall/mesh-lol). I slept warm enough because of my down mummy bag and therm-a-rest pad-but I certainly had to hunker down more in the bag and use the bag's hood in addition to my normal beanie. I'll figure out the tent fly pitch before the next trip.

The draft blowing through also didn't allow me to really test the Primus Easylight lantern as a tent "heater" (you can see it in the pic hanging between the tents). It did create a nice glow in my tent (excellent to read by) but any heat it conducted was quickly "ventilated" right on out of the tent. I'll try again...either with this same tent but with the fly pulled down further or with a different tent that allows better control of the venting. I think this little lantern may be a good "heat/light" solution as it does kick out quite a bit of heat in such a small package-it was just overwhelmed by how I had the tent fly pitched.

Great weekend: covered some nice trails, had good conversations, and ate easy to prep/bring food and some freeze dried food (Mountain House-no dishes!). There's also just something about a cold, clear, starry night and a warm, inviting campfire. Best part is my son asking "when can we go again?". Time to plan another trip.

Name:	20161126_164412_zps1xvp0ooe (1).jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	70710
                              Last edited by a65hoosier; 11-28-2016, 05:03 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                                Some pictures from my last trip. Can't wait to get back up there.
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]5763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5764[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5765[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5766[/ATTACH]
                                Very nice....Love it
                                Thrift store tent
                                Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

Working...
                                X