Camping pet peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Camping pet peeves

Snobby experienced campers who forget that they used to be beginners like me

Comment

Most of my pet peeves are self-inflicted. I don't mind finding litter, as it gives me a great opportunity to teach the kids about being good custodians. I also don't mind rude neighbors for the same reason. We did find a set of kitchen counters that somebody dumped in the woods at a state park last year. That was a bit troubling.

Mostly though, it's things like forgetting to pack something. I do get upset at myself for not doing a better job with fires. I don't take the time to properly prep and it takes me a lot more time and effort than it should to get a good fire going sometimes. Pure laziness on my part.

I also get frustrated with nosy rangers. We were camping last year with my brother's family. We always try to book sites at the end of the loop so that our kids can explore off to the one side without wandering into other people's areas. On this trip we had the last site and my brother's family was next to us. On the other side was a trail through the woods to the bathrooms with the playground on the other side of them. We hung out on our site so that we didn't bother anybody, and the site next to my brother's was occupied by a couple that was participating in a BBQ contest so they were at the contest tending their meat Saturday night. That night around 10:00 the ranger pulls up and tells us that the people at the next site over were complaining that we were too loud. Now mind you the adults were sitting around the fire talking while the kids sat at the picnic table with the lantern coloring. No music or anything like that. He said that the kids must have been laughing too loud or something. He pointed out how dark the site next to ours was and said that the people were trying to sleep. We informed him that that particular site belonged to my brother, who happened to be the one that he was complaining was too loud. He told us that he was mistaken and it was the next site over. We informed him that those people weren't at their site on account of the BBQ contest. He muttered something along the lines of "Well, keep it down." and drove off. I know that he was probably just bored and saw that our site was lit up and the other sites were dark and wanted to make sure that there weren't any problems. He was young and approached the situation wrong. But, it still irked me enough that I don't think we'll be going back to that campground anytime soon.

Other than those few things, which are very infrequent, we're having too much fun to let things bother us. We are camping after all. We have plenty of time in our regular lives to be upset, no reason to spend our time camping doing the same.
      Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

Originally posted by NMCamper View Post
        Snobby experienced campers who forget that they used to be beginners like me
        I am curious to know if you run into this often or is there one person or scenario that you are thinking of?
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

drama
          unprepared people ( I created a spread sheet that I pass out to everyone that goes with us)
          radios
          GENERATORS!
          people shooting in the middle of the night. (woke up to this at midnight last trip out)
          other peoples trash!
          drama!
          too much traffic.

I have a place I prefer to camp because it is remote enough that I don't have to deal with any of this.

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            Its the trash and destruction that gets me. I don't care about the noise and parties. If thats what you want to do while camping then so be it. You have as much right to enjoy the outdoors as I do. It is one of the reasons I don't go to campgrounds. To close to other people who may not think like me.

But there is no excuse for leaving your trash behind. Its just lazy.
            Exactly! My wife loves the camp grounds at big lake and I cannot stand them! 7am the generators start up and don't turn off until 10pm. I absolutely love camping in Happy Jack AZ. Only people I run into is the occasional hunter or someone exploring on their atv.

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
              drama
              unprepared people ( I created a spread sheet that I pass out to everyone that goes with us)
              radios
              GENERATORS!
              people shooting in the middle of the night. (woke up to this at midnight last trip out)
              other peoples trash!
              drama!
              too much traffic.

I have a place I prefer to camp because it is remote enough that I don't have to deal with any of this.
              I admit that I hate radios. I don't care if you listen to music - even if I'm not fond of your choice in music, at least you're actually listening to stuff you like. But I will never understand the logic in turning on a radio and listening to hours of commercials and stupid talk while you party...
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Pet peeves? I"m blessed to have grown grown up in the wilderness. Believe it or not, out there the worst "offenders" along our river and forest were the Girl Scouts, leaving bags of tash in places where no one would ever find it (except a local). The deer carcasses are soon digested by the ants and worms. Our generators with extension cords and electric guitars and singing long into the night...offending no one. The loud partiers, messy city folks and noisy RV'ers just roll off my brim as a camper. I want them to know and experience what we know, and let it grow on them to - and I'm willing to suffer through them. My only real "pet peeves" or great anger is at my own California Local, State and US Federal government. They have (and are) gating, closing, and regulating our (CA State, USFS, BLM, Anza Borrego and San Diego and Imperial County Parks) public lands away under the color of "protecting them" from misuse and damage. They hide behind fabricated climate hoax and fake game count explanations, as if they knew better than locals, real scientists and conservationists. As if we weren't the lands's best stewards? These lands and trees and waters have called to us since from an early age. We look up to them with reverence, sustaining our bellies and bodies with their bounties of sustenance and tenacity, listening to their night calls at sundown, and sleeping under their broad leafy canopies. We need to work together against this "enemy from within" that seeks to separate us from what is good, and clean, and wonderful, and make sure that it's available for all. It belongs to all of us, after all...

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                  Pet peeves? I"m blessed to have grown grown up in the wilderness. Believe it or not, out there the worst "offenders" along our river and forest were the Girl Scouts, leaving bags of tash in places where no one would ever find it (except a local). The deer carcasses are soon digested by the ants and worms. Our generators with extension cords and electric guitars and singing long into the night...offending no one. The loud partiers, messy city folks and noisy RV'ers just roll off my brim as a camper. I want them to know and experience what we know, and let it grow on them to - and I'm willing to suffer through them. My only real "pet peeves" or great anger is at my own California Local, State and US Federal government. They have (and are) gating, closing, and regulating our (CA State, USFS, BLM, Anza Borrego and San Diego and Imperial County Parks) public lands away under the color of "protecting them" from misuse and damage. They hide behind fabricated climate hoax and fake game count explanations, as if they knew better than locals, real scientists and conservationists. As if we weren't the lands's best stewards? These lands and trees and waters have called to us since from an early age. We look up to them with reverence, sustaining our bellies and bodies with their bounties of sustenance and tenacity, listening to their night calls at sundown, and sleeping under their broad leafy canopies. We need to work together against this "enemy from within" that seeks to separate us from what is good, and clean, and wonderful, and make sure that it's available for all. It belongs to all of us, after all...

Whoa,TP, are you saying the Jersey GSs didn't give the Barrens proper respect ? Or are you saying that tash is a local delicacy sort of like deer innards that these ferocious women to be left as a gift to the local boys?
                  Interesting dating rituals in your neck of the woods.

Sorry, no idea what the rest of what you wrote means- U been hitting that bottle again?:drunk:
                  Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-11-2016, 10:05 PM.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                    I am curious to know if you run into this often or is there one person or scenario that you are thinking of?
                    it was intended more as a joke/commentary on the fact that a few of the pet peeves people posted are things that noob campers like myself do, not because we don't care but because we're noobs . Also a plea for patience, and maybe come over and tell us what we're doing wrong so we can fix it instead of making fun of our noobiness on here .

Comment

Originally posted by NMCamper View Post
                      it was intended more as a joke/commentary on the fact that a few of the pet peeves people posted are things that noob campers like myself do, not because we don't care but because we're noobs . Also a plea for patience, and maybe come over and tell us what we're doing wrong so we can fix it instead of making fun of our noobiness on here .
                      Hehehehehe thank you for that gracious response. On another forum I frequent RVers went on and on about porch lights for about 6 pages before someone responded in your manner:glasses:

Don't think this has been mentioned yet but if the campground has a utility sink puhleese clean it out when yer finished so we can all start and end in the same way. Oh and be careful about how much spaghetti and greasy meat sauce slips down the drain. Amazing how fast the sink will back up.
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post

problem with GS's is not the org or the kids,
                        its generally the parents,
                        BS's are run by men, dads, and such which have a higher percentage with outdoor experience,
                        no offense to women, but most GS groups are run by moms with little to no outdoor experience, such will be apparent in their outdoor activities,
                        not saying women arent outdoor enthusiast, but in GS troops, most moms do not have the basic outdoor knowledge to pass on to their kids
                        my nieces were in GS's
                        they did not learn anything relevant on their outdoor trips,
                        heck they had food delivered to their cabins via peapod on their camping trip

Comment

Littering is my biggest pet peeve. I can't believe some people can't clean up after they pack up. Take care of mother nature! :whip:

Comment

I think my biggest pet peeves are the following.
                            1. People that think their way to camp is the "right way" to camp, and covers all of it. For some people camping means getting out in the "quiet" some people it means getting the family together or friends and getting their drink on and having fun. If I want quiet I go for rustic camping that I have to work a little to get to, trust me, there's enough places you can go where you 99% won't see another human the whole time you're out. If I am camping in a campground or resort setting I expect to hear kids and dogs and people having fun. It's ok with me. Just have some sense about it and don't get crazy until after say 9 or 10 in the morning and no later that 10 or 11 at night. No one there has to be at work in the morning.

2. People that "ruin it for the rest of us" ... be conscience of your surroundings, your neighbors and nature. Don't mess it up.

3. People that are way too friendly. Believe it or not I didn't come here to make life long friends and I don't want you to come over and eat my food and drink my beverages and make yourself at home.

4. I camp with my dog, I love my dog, I have a good dog, I clean up after my dog, my dog does not howl or bark and she also doesn't bite. That does not mean I want you to come mess with my dog. I also take offence at anyone who says I am in some way ruining their camping by me bringing my dog. As stated she's a very good dog and is not disruptive. She might even keep the coons away from the campsites, you're welcome.

5. Anyone who thinks their weekend is more important than mine.

6. Overpriced wood/ice/supplies being offered by camp "hosts".

That probably covers most of it, honestly I am a live and let live (camp and let camp) kind of camper. If you are having fun awesome, if I am having fun awesome, we should all be having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                              problem with GS's is not the org or the kids,
                              its generally the parents,
                              BS's are run by men, dads, and such which have a higher percentage with outdoor experience,
                              no offense to women, but most GS groups are run by moms with little to no outdoor experience, such will be apparent in their outdoor activities,
                              not saying women arent outdoor enthusiast, but in GS troops, most moms do not have the basic outdoor knowledge to pass on to their kids
                              my nieces were in GS's
                              they did not learn anything relevant on their outdoor trips,
                              heck they had food delivered to their cabins via peapod on their camping trip
                              I suspect it depends more on the troop or council and what their emphasism is and locale. As a member of an urban GS troop in the '70's we did little in the way of learning camping skills and bushcraft but boy did we learn a lot about astronomy, ecology, how to mark a hiking trail; and volunteering to clean vacant lots and parks. If you wanted to camp pays yer money and off to sleepaway GS camp you went. And Peapod hadn't been invented yet or DILs who declare her child will nevah go to sleepaway camp unless they allow cellphones.
                              A simpler time by far:he:.
                              2017:

Comment

Looking back on my childhood camping experiences, I find that while the men might have had more "outdoor experience", it was the women who taught us to be considerate of those around us. The women were the ones who caught us tossing trash on the ground and made us pick it up; the women were the ones who stopped us from shrieking into the wee hours; the women were the ones who told us to walk around the other campsites. So, I would disagree with the idea that GS are worse campers than BS. I also was in 4-H (not GS) and spent my childhood learning and camping with groups of both sexes. There was no difference between the enjoyment or ability of the boys versus the girls. Which family the child came from had more effect on their "good camping behavior" than what their gender was or which parent took them camping.

Oh, and my 4-H camping experience was sleeping on a wooden platform on a hillside (they had upgraded from straw to mattresses to the platforms over the years). No cabins, no beds, no privacy. Food was army surplus food (4-H is a federal organization not private) - chicken and liver hot dogs anyone??? No take out or delivery. We had a blast!!!!
                                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                                X