What is food, in the mind of a bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is food, in the mind of a bear?

So, we all talk about keeping food secure, and out of reach of bears. But what do bears consider food? Yes, the picnic basket is food, but what about cherry scented lip balm?
    Yes, your left overs are food, but what about the grill you cooked it on? Yes the Qdoba breakfast burrito is food, but what about the wrapper it came in and the napkins I used? What about that watermelon/honey dew hand lotion she uses?
    point is, if it has a smell, you need to think about it. Here is a good read courtesy of Yellowstone.
    http://www.yellowstonepark.com/food-storage/
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: What is food, in the mind of a bear?

I have worried about this too; most recently about the coffee grounds last weekend...
    I figure any thing your dog would eat, you would eat and any thing that smells like it is or was once food.
    My understanding is that bears are scent critters and have heard that even the smell of a candy bar on a persons hands and face could be "bad".
    One of the things that I try to do is wash up before hitting the bag (also keeps the bag cleaner).

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Even if they dont eat it anything remotely food scented can attract bears and they will investigate
      they may not eat lip balm but will tear anything open to get to it to investigate

Comment

I had a Labrador retriever who would rip through almost any kind of container like a Kodiak on a whale carc**** if it smelled like food. He ate some non-food products that smelled like food, too. I just think of him when I'm packing my lotions and potions for a camping trip. I try to stay with unscented products in general.

Comment

That's why I always rub my dog down with bacon before retiring. Early warning system...
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            So, we all talk about keeping food secure, and out of reach of bears. But what do bears consider food? Yes, the picnic basket is food, but what about cherry scented lip balm?
            Yes, your left overs are food, but what about the grill you cooked it on? Yes the Qdoba breakfast burrito is food, but what about the wrapper it came in and the napkins I used? What about that watermelon/honey dew hand lotion she uses?
            point is, if it has a smell, you need to think about it. Here is a good read courtesy of Yellowstone.
            http://www.yellowstonepark.com/food-storage/
            One of the podcasts that I listen to bring this up often. Animals aren't just attracted to food. They are attracted to anything that smells good. I was thinking about this as I was unloading at camp and had my empty Wendy's bag in the cab of my truck. It smelled so good I burned it.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
              That's why I always rub my dog down with bacon before retiring. Early warning system...
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

At the end of the day, they are attracted to anything you may bring. I keep the cooler on the trailer , garbage bags in the truck, and I really don't worry about the rest. My 1911 sleeps in the hanger next to my cot and my 30-30 sleeps under my cot.

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
                  My 1911 sleeps in the hanger next to my cot and my 30-30 sleeps under my cot.
                  And if you shot and kill wildlife for getting into your trash, you would be in big trouble here. I had a Division of Wildlife officer tell me as much. He said if you kill an animal with the first shot, "I was scared" is not going to cut it. And he is going to be looking for a reason to give you a ticket or a ride to jail. He suggested using a non, lethal round first, to persuade the animal to leave. Such as a bean bag round or rubber buckshot. If that doesn't get the point across, then use lethal. So in my 12 gauge the first round is rubber buckshot, then 5 rounds of 00 buck.
                  But it's easier to take care of smelly things then have to make a phone call and get the law involved. That is WAY to big of a headache.
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Honestly; in all our decades camping we (people we were with, not us personally) have only had 2 bear incidents one in Wisconsin where the young bear got into a bag of chips that had been left out and once here in Colorado where a (we assume young) bear rolled a cooler around but didn't get into it (thus the young assumption). We have had quite a few run through and past camp (they probably think we are going to eat them).
                    I figure that we have had so few problems because we try to keep the camp clean/clear of cooking residues and food packaging (sterilize it in, not next to) the campfire them pack out any remains).
                    When vehicle camping food items are stored in sealed metal ammo cans or the cooler.
                    No cooking is ever done in or right next to, and no food is allowed inside the tent.
                    I figure if a bear really wants it, he/she can have it; its not worth getting the vehicle torn up by storing the food inside.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-08-2016, 12:21 PM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Sorry! double post.
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-08-2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Don't forget to dispose of used first aid supplies. If you had a bad cut, the blood on the bandages can attract critters. If you fish, watch where you dump the guts. Scented candles. And so on.

Really, bears don't scare me. They don't want ME they want my food. If they come around, some loud pot banging is usually enough to chase them away.

There's a PBS show that did research on polar bears. Polar bears WILL eat people. However, a loud noise was still enough to chase them off. Deep noises have more effect than high pitched noises (probably because high pitched noises sound like easy prey).
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Anything that has a scent .

Mostly meats and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                            And if you shot and kill wildlife for getting into your trash, you would be in big trouble here. I had a Division of Wildlife officer tell me as much. He said if you kill an animal with the first shot, "I was scared" is not going to cut it. And he is going to be looking for a reason to give you a ticket or a ride to jail. He suggested using a non, lethal round first, to persuade the animal to leave. Such as a bean bag round or rubber buckshot. If that doesn't get the point across, then use lethal. So in my 12 gauge the first round is rubber buckshot, then 5 rounds of 00 buck.
                            But it's easier to take care of smelly things then have to make a phone call and get the law involved. That is WAY to big of a headache.
                            Who said I was going to shoot it for getting into the trash?:confused: I have them for my safety. I might fire a warning shot to try to scare something off, but the only way I would put the animal in my sights is for mine or my families protection.
                            Are you going to bean bag a racoon for getting into your trash?

Comment

I have always read and heard that bears are attracted to smells. That could be anything with a strong odor whether food products or not. I am sure some bears associate the human odor with danger but I wonder if some odoriferous person that hadn't bathed in a few days might attract a curious bear. They might just take a bite to see if it was just another rotting carcass.

Comment

Working...
                              X