• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Alone

Is it ok to go camping alone?

Originally posted by explorer24 View Post
    Is it ok to go camping alone?
    If you are in good health and are prepared for the conditions that will be present, go for it. It also depends on you definition of alone. To me alone is backpacking solo and that is not advised unless you are very skilled in surviving in the outdoors. a small injury can be a major problem when you are alone.
    Taking my popup solo to a campground and spending the weekend I would do. I also let someone know where I will be and when I am expected back home.
    I also check in with family members so no one worries. I do not do this often but it can be done.
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 HD Crewcab
    2004 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD
    I am not lost, I am here

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times

Comment

camping solo

I agree, backpack camping alone is not wise. It only takes one small incident to make an otherwise great day or week of hiking/camping into a nightmare...As far as campground camping, as long as you let someone know where you are, its not as big a deal. You can use a tent or a camper for this type, with common sense being the main ingredient. Always practice safe camping and this could be a great way to do some soul searching or just a mental break.
      Familycampingguy

Comment

On one hand they are right in that camping alone is a dangerous idea. On the other it is great for relaxing and soul searching. Never try it unless you are an experienced camper and have excellent survival skills. If you do go it alone first plan it well. Know exactly where you're going and the conditions of the area. Stick to the agenda as in time and location without varying. Let your friends and famiily know exactly where you will be and your itenerary, when to expect you back and let them know when you return. If you will be in a park or preserve file a trip plan with the Ranger. Again stick with your schedule. Take appropriate gear with you for safety, survival, and emergencies. You must be able to think clearly in pressure situations. If you can do all of this then it can be really enjoyable.

Comment

Re: Camping Alone

It is very dangerous to go camping alone, i would not go alone, at least 2 people!

Comment

I camp alone quite a bit but that is on my property with family close by, or at a bluegrass festival with other dependable people nearby. So safety in those situations have not been an issue. I have yet to go to a public campground but probably would with what I know now. Never backpacked but agree with all that have chimed in so far.

Comment

Camping alone is fine and usually not particularly dangerous although I would recommend getting some experience camping before hand (noobie mistakes/misperceptions can be very frustrating; even dangerous).
              Solo backpacking is a bit riskier (easy to get in situations that are beyond what you expected) but as long as you are not trying to do anything extreme (trek across a desert) still, usually, not a biggie.
              Start small with short trips and get experience in a controlled (semi civilized) environment/well traveled trails, then work up to the longer trips in more extreme terrain.

...Remember nature is both uncaring and unforgiving of mistakes; use your intelligence, think ahead and be aware at all times...
              Some friends froze to death, during an afternoon day hike, within a couple of miles of a small town because they were unprepared for a weather change.

...camping with others is more entertaining, IMO.

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM.
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

i disagree with the dangers of camping alone,
                as with anything all in preparation,
                dont know your location, and outdoor experience,
                but in general should work yourself up to longer more extreme trips,
                can start with day trips, working up to overnight camping trips,
                local state forest, camping near hiking trail, limiting your hiking distance,

Comment

Shoot - I guess I'm dead. The majority of my camping is done alone...

General tips:

1. Start small! Don't make your first trip a 3 month backpacking trip into the middle of nowhere. Instead, try a 1 or 2 night stay at a local campground. Maybe try one that has a camphost on duty so you have someone to go to if you have trouble. Stick close to the campground.

2. Now start to branch out. Stay an extra night or two. Take a short hike down an established trail. Camp at a developed campground that is a bit further into the forest/woods/wilds than before. Try a campground without a camphost.

3. If the weather in your area allows it, camp in a developed campsite off-season. After Labor Day, before Memorial Day. Don't start with real winter camping - just pick a nice few days when the weather is pleasant and go. You'll find fewer people at the campground so you'll be more alone than before.

Now, if all the above goes well, and you have worked out all the bugs (do you like sleeping in a tent or do you want an RV of some type; is your gear sufficient; can you spend 4+ days without needing to go into town for anything; and so on), you can start to move into more advanced solo camping.

Try boondocking in a national forest or BLM land. Try camping at a developed campground and doing an all day hiking trip. And so on. You'll know when you reach the end of your comfort zone.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I camp alone all the time. Well. almost alone. I usually have a companion, 10mm or 5.56, for unwelcome guests of the bipedal variety. I also carry a guitar for the welcome ones. I do take (grand)kids camping with me when I can, but mostly I just want to be by myself.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                    X