Mountain Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Camping

I'm taking my 2 kids camping in the NC mountains the end of July and for a more extended trip in August. We'll be up about 5,000+ ft and will prepare clothing wise for the temp changes. I've tested the tents in some heavy southern showers and they did great. I would like to put up additional protection and I am unsure if I should purchase more of a shelter or tarps etc. Any other suggestions for camping up on a mountain is greatly appreciated since it's been a while but we like a challenge

Thank you!

Re: Mountain Camping

For years I used tarps as additional tent protection and expedient rain/sun canopies.
    Now for vehicle camping on weekend or longer trips I sometimes bring a 10' x 10' fast-up/first up style folding canopy.
    ... they are too heavy to carry backpacking (unless you use horses) though, and definitely should be staked and guyed in case of high winds.

...wide brimmed hats, sunscreen, chapstick and bug juice...
    ... a chair and an LED flashlight for each person...
    Fully enclosed shoes, long trousers and clothing that can be layered (rain jacket/water resistant wind breaker, light jacket, heavy flannel shirt, etc.. in case it cooler than expected.
    For hot climates a couple of fine mist spry bottles can help cool and entertain...
    ...the makin's for s'mores, or at least marshmallows and sticks/extendable forks (good marshmallow roasting sticks are sometimes hard to find).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-01-2016, 06:55 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I tried out the Thermocell system for mosquito and fly protection on my last camping trip, and I was impressed. I found it worked best for when I would be stationary for a while such as sitting around the campfire or the picnic table. If tent camping, you could use it to clear out the tent at night before turning in. Better to leave the unit in one place and create a 15'x15' zone of no insects.

Got mine from Rural King, but it is easily found on store shelves. Do shop around online for the replacement repellent pads for the best price. Pads come in two strengths. You can get four hours or twelve hours from the pads, and each butane canister that runs the system lasts for twelve hours.

Instead of canopies, we travel with a 10x10 instant screen shelter - mine is Ozark Trail, but Coleman makes a similar one. This is lighter and smaller than most canopies, and we can use it over the generator to house it from sun or rain. I leave the dual doors ties back. It can also be placed over a picnic table. Good for sun, bug, and rain protection and is a lightweight addition to our gear.

I collect walking sticks and always bring some, but also carry an inexpensive set of trekking poles to keep my balance on mountain trails.

Shoreline makes thin orange boat whistles - everyone carries one. I also carry tarps that are reflective on one side that are good for keeping heat out or in, and can be wrapped around a person, shelter, or sleeping bag. I carry a couple of different brands such as the Ultimate Survival Tube Tarp
      Last edited by actad; 07-01-2016, 07:19 AM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

All great info and I really appreciate the suggestions of a pop up shelter vs. tarp. Kind of surprised and guess I expected people to say tarps, but see there could some downfalls to that in high winds we might encounter. I've never even heard of some of the things recommended!

And we are tent campers only, no horse use this trip but camping with the horses is on the list one day. Doubt my prissy TB's will be thrilled about carrying heavy loads of anything so it will be more like glamping with horses

I'll be making a list and adding to our kit.

Comment

Thanx! for the Thermacell mini-review...I hate 'skeeters....

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-01-2016, 02:46 PM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I can't speak to your situation without knowing more but mountain tenting usually involves exposure to more wind. If that's the issue, a tarp may help to break the wind from the exposed side (usually west). If it is rain that is the issue, then a tarp strung over your tent would do the trick. Make sure you know how to tie a ridgeline and attach a tarp to it. That involves knowing how to tie a trucker's hitch for creating the ridgeline, a Prusik knot for attaching a tarp to that ridgeline, and a tautline hitch for attaching the tarp to stakes.
            Last edited by wiiawiwb; 07-02-2016, 05:04 AM.
            Moss Big Dipper
            Alaskan Guide 8
            Alaskan Guide 6
            NorthFace Tadpole 23
            ALPS Exteme 3
            Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Originally posted by CecilliaB View Post
              I'm taking my 2 kids camping in the NC mountains the end of July and for a more extended trip in August. We'll be up about 5,000+ ft and will prepare clothing wise for the temp changes. I've tested the tents in some heavy southern showers and they did great. I would like to put up additional protection and I am unsure if I should purchase more of a shelter or tarps etc. Any other suggestions for camping up on a mountain is greatly appreciated since it's been a while but we like a challenge

Thank you!
              Welcome to the Forum CecilliaB!

My opinion....I would go with a tarp and learn how to properly hang it. You'll find over time that it is much more versatile than an ez-up or pop up at the campsite: it'll hang and drain properly no matter how level the ground underneath is; you can easily adjust/tip a side/wing of a tarp to block rain, wind, and sun; it shields/covers more space underneath; and it takes up much less space packing and weighs less. You will have to learn/practice hanging techniques and some knot tying skills. All easily found on online...then it is just practice.

I like the Kelty Noah tarps or similar catenary cut tarps because you can really keep it taut-no flapping edges-and their ability to cut the wind (although there are lots of others depending on what works best for you). I'm pretty comfortable hanging it and can't imagine not having one on the campsite. It can be hung by one person (although not knowing how old your kids are...if they can "hold a pole/line/etc", set up will be much easier/faster with that little bit o help). It's the first thing up upon arrival and the last thing down heading home. From your initial post on the "Welcome, post here first thread", I saw you where interested in the future about doing some survival treks, and not just car camping. Knot tying is definitely a good survival skill. So is the ability to quickly create shelter (tarp skills are a good thing here also).

If you find yourself on a campsite without the necessary trees to hang a ridgeline (and I find myself often in this situation-especially car camping), you can purchase adjustable tarp poles (under $20/each). The poles allow you to hang the tarp anywhere-even a grassy field. Total investment (Noahs type tarp, 2 poles, line): averages about $100-125. Varies depending on the tarp, etc.

Have fun. Let us know what you decided to do and how your NC mountain trip goes later this month.
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-03-2016, 07:22 AM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                Welcome to the Forum CecilliaB!

My opinion....I would go with a tarp and learn how to properly hang it. You'll find over time that it is much more versatile than an ez-up or pop up at the campsite: it'll hang and drain properly no matter how level the ground underneath is; you can easily adjust/tip a side/wing of a tarp to block rain, wind, and sun; it shields/covers more space underneath; and it takes up much less space packing and weighs less. You will have to learn/practice hanging techniques and some knot tying skills. All easily found on online...then it is just practice.

I like the Kelty Noah tarps or similar catenary cut tarps because you can really keep it taut-no flapping edges-and their ability to cut the wind (although there are lots of others depending on what works best for you). I'm pretty comfortable hanging it and can't imagine not having one on the campsite. It can be hung by one person (although not knowing how old your kids are...if they can "hold a pole/line/etc", set up will be much easier/faster with that little bit o help). It's the first thing up upon arrival and the last thing down heading home. From your initial post on the "Welcome, post here first thread", I saw you where interested in the future about doing some survival treks, and not just car camping. Knot tying is definitely a good survival skill. So is the ability to quickly create shelter (tarp skills are a good thing here also).

If you find yourself on a campsite without the necessary trees to hang a ridgeline (and I find myself often in this situation-especially car camping), you can purchase adjustable tarp poles (under $20/each). The poles allow you to hang the tarp anywhere-even a grassy field. Total investment (Noahs type tarp, 2 poles, line): averages about $100-125. Varies depending on the tarp, etc.

Have fun. Let us know what you decided to do and how your NC mountain trip goes later this month.
                After my last trip I made up my mind to do just this. The ez up canopies are great (I own 3) but they are heavy, bulky and limited in the amount of shade/rain protection they provide. A tarp can do everything a canopy can do and takes up a fraction of the space and weight.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                  After my last trip I made up my mind to do just this. The ez up canopies are great (I own 3) but they are heavy, bulky and limited in the amount of shade/rain protection they provide. A tarp can do everything a canopy can do and takes up a fraction of the space and weight.
                  I have done the tarp thing (to death) especially backpacking, they can be great! However, in choosing canopies or tarps its a trade off in setup time & effort vs. weight.
                  Right now, I use a combination of pop up canopies and tarps (or walls); walls are great when its cold (and rainy/snowy) providing a dry heatable gathering/social space.
                  I even solved the (lack of) window issue, I hope (hang some clear plastic between the corner tarps)... gotta try this one out yet...(was scheduled for last spring but things keep getting in the way)...

Enjoy!

Comment

As much as I'm all about hanging tarps, I always find it funny that I've never bothered to learn the "usual" knots. My ridgeline is some 3/8ths rope from Home Depot and a ratchet strap. Always tight and never slips. The corners and sides are always a bungee cord and (currently) paracord. All of the knots are simply slipknots. Not all pretty and slick, but easy to tie and easy to release.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      As much as I'm all about hanging tarps, I always find it funny that I've never bothered to learn the "usual" knots. My ridgeline is some 3/8ths rope from Home Depot and a ratchet strap. Always tight and never slips. The corners and sides are always a bungee cord and (currently) paracord. All of the knots are simply slipknots. Not all pretty and slick, but easy to tie and easy to release.
                      This is why I love this place and most everyone in it. Always something new to learn.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Thank you for everyones advice! I know the slip knot well, it's what we tie horses with...except the ones who know slip knots well too Thinking I might need to do a test day where I attempt to set up a tarp and see how it goes. Or just wing it on the mountain and see how it goes. Either way, if I'm outside it's all good!

Comment

Thanks for everyones advice! I'm going to look into tarps and the pop ups. I know that knot well! And yipee I got approved and can now comment in a more timely manner

Comment

Thank you for everyones advice! I know the slip knot well, it's what we tie horses with...except the ones who know slip knots well too Thinking I might need to do a test day where I attempt to set up a tarp and see how it goes. Or just wing it on the mountain and see how it goes. Either way, if I'm outside it's all good!
                            Amen to that.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

I'll second Jame's Amen. It's what it's all about...
                              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X