• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $12 wool blanket

ok so its not 100% wool
    its 80% wool 20% poly
    but for $12 its a great blanket to have
    bought it to keep in the car and to try it out camping hiking,

I have a cold weather camping trip coming up and am sure to bring it with me to try it out
    so far size and weight appears to be a bargain for $12
    its 60"x80" and weighs in at about 3 lbs
    from harbor freight
    Click image for larger version

Name:	blanket.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	72996

Name:	blanket1.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	72997

Re: $12 wool blanket

That's a good deal. 3 lbs is a decent weight. Let us know how it did (temps, comfort, etc.). I love a wool blanket (I use mine regularly, even at home). They seem to regulate moisture very well.

Is this a Cub Scout trip?
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
      That's a good deal. 3 lbs is a decent weight. Let us know how it did (temps, comfort, etc.). I love a wool blanket (I use mine regularly, even at home). They seem to regulate moisture very well.

Is this a Cub Scout trip?
      yes its a cub scout trip,
      will have a cabin and have a choice whether to cabin it or tent it,
      will be prepared for either and decide based on weather,
      basically to get them exposed to winter camping, not to let them suffer,

Comment

Update
        my $12 wool blanket attempt failed
        washed it once in gentle cycle and started to fall apart
        lots of thin spots where you could see right through

Comment

I wouldn't have thought washing a wool blanket to be a good idea. All the wool blankets I own say dry clean only. But, at least you're only out $12.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            I wouldn't have thought washing a wool blanket to be a good idea. All the wool blankets I own say dry clean only. But, at least you're only out $12.
            never had a problem washing wool
            drying would be the problem
            air dry usually works fine

Name:	39CDD719-4176-4945-A17D-75CAE22AC592.jpg
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	70987

Comment

Sorry to hear that terasec. Not sure what occurred there...guessing it is the weave/fiber length? May not want to use on camp trips, but maybe still works as an "emergency" car blanket? True...only $12....but I hate to pay any $$$ on something that fails/doesn't work as intended/PITA to setup/breakdown/repack, etc.). Still...oops/fails happen to all of us from time to time (that might be a good new thread we all could probably post on?---lol).

I've washed my surplus Italian army wool blankets multiple times with no ill effects (MacG---they came with no cleaning instruction tags-lololol). These are 100% wool, about 5x7, and weigh 6 lbs/per. They are/were a big item with bushcrafters and are now, unfortunately, harder to find and more expensive to buy when you do find them. When I purchased them years back, they had a strong mothball odor from long term storage (they were stamped "1951"---not sure how long they sat unused). You could even smell them holding the shipping box, never mind opening it and removing them from the plastic bag (which I did in the garage-lol). So into the commercial washers they went with woolite (front load/gentle cycle). I'd do a couple of wash/rinse cycles, go home, and let them dry out in the sun/air. I did this a couple of times before the smell finally dissipated and they could be used camping and inside the house for regular winter couch duty.

Now, I just do an annual wash in the fall using my home washer (low time, cold, gentle/handwash cycle-one at a time) and a bit of Woolite. I've never had a problem with thinning or other damage.

Never ever ever put a wool blanket in the dryer with heat unless you really want to shrink it down (I air dry my wool and/or wool/blend socks for the same reason). I suppose one could use the dryer's "air" setting, but I just lay the just washed/rinsed blankets outside in the sun over a couple of saw horses to dry slowly. Hanging them on a fence or deck railing would work also.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Harbor Freight - what more needs to be said? Because I could never imagine something from them being cheaply made or breaking.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Think short fibres is major factor
                  in wash and dryer machines were full of short fibres

Comment

Working...
                  X