Coming soon to a campsite near you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon to a campsite near you...

A new old way to make your bacon and eggs is here, from this week's New Scientist (UK):

Next-Gen Microwave Ovens are small enough to sling on your back
    By David Hambling

An adventurous design
    Wayvtech.com

Get ready to nuke your packed lunch: a new era in microwave cookery is around the corner. As well as portable ovens you can stick in a backpack, electronics will enable appliances that detect when their contents are thawed or risk boiling over, and smart ovens which will cook multiple items at different rates simultaneously.

Conventional microwave ovens use a cavity magnetron, a vacuum tube developed for radar during the second world war. Magnetrons are heavy and not efficient at generating microwaves. They may also create hotspots, a problem not totally solved by rotating the oven’s contents on a turntable.

Laterally diffused metal oxide semiconductor (LDMOS) microwave sources promise to change that. Similar to those in cellphone towers and microwave communication systems, they are now being worked on by firms such as NXP, based in Eindhoven, the Netherlands. “The underlying technology has been here a long time; we’re making changes to make it more specific and suited for consumer cooking appliances,” says NXP’s Paul Hart.

The compact size and high efficiency of the source makes portable microwave cookers possible, such as the 1.5-kilogram Adventurer from Wayv, a company based in Hertford, UK. Pictured above, the Adventurer looks like a large thermos flask, and its NXP source can heat up to 500 millilitres of food or drink in cycles of up to 5 minutes. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery is good for six cycles on one charge.

The Adventurer raised £150,000 in less than 19 hours on the crowdfunding site CrowdCube in 2014. It will be launched first in the US early next year and will cost about $199. Wayv envisages it being used by campers and hikers, as well as the military and first responders. Unlike with camp stoves, there is no smoke or danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Chris Brock, director of the London Food Centre at London South Bank University, says that the Adventurer’s usefulness for camping or hiking is limited due to the number of cycles that the battery allows — food and drink for one person would require two or three cycles per meal. But he suggests the Adventurer could also be used in experiments that require heating in the field.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Re: Coming soon to a campsite near you...

That actually looks pretty damn cool. $199 is a bit steep though. I'd buy some of THESE and call it a day. But I do hope that you do well with the product.

ADMIN EDIT <link removed> user was linking readers to shopping site for his own person gain.
    #infractiongiven
    CampingForums Advertising Options

Comment

As mentioned- pricy... I will wait until the tech migrates to home appliances or the trucking industry and get something (chinese) from wallymart.

???penurious?
      ...yes, I am.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

yuk! I can't stand nuked food. Give me my cast iron frying pan and stove any day. I enjoy cooking when camping.

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
          yuk! I can't stand nuked food. Give me my cast iron frying pan and stove any day. I enjoy cooking when camping.
          Camping is about the ONLY time I enjoy cooking.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
            Same here I do all outside cooking camping and at home,I was lucky enough to get my grandmother's cast iron it's so well used it almost cooks itself.

Comment

Last edited by kmaysob; 06-13-2016, 01:12 PM. Reason: duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by wecamp04 View Post
                Same here I do all outside cooking camping and at home,I was lucky enough to get my grandmother's cast iron it's so well used it almost cooks itself.
                Same here, Grandma gave me all of her cast iron. A dutch oven and a bunch of different sized frying pans. All of them needed a little tlc since they had been in the garage for several years. They all cleaned up nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  As mentioned- pricy... I will wait until the tech migrates to home appliances or the trucking industry and get something (chinese) from wallymart.

???penurious?
                  ...yes, I am.

Enjoy!
                  Yes, I heartily agree Happy Joe. Do you remember when microwaves were $1000 in the early '70s? Now no one can live without them, lol. It will be interesting to see how design mods and upgrades make these devices ubiquitous.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                    Yes, I heartily agree Happy Joe. Do you remember when microwaves were $1000 in the early '70s? Now no one can live without them, lol. It will be interesting to see how design mods and upgrades make these devices ubiquitous.
                    Yep! I remember; they were "rich" peoples' toys...along with video tape (reel to reel) and later, Video Disks (roughly a foot in diameter).

Tech will advance; I was, relatively recently, looking at/considering inductive cooktops to replace the propane camping stove but they still suck too much power for my tiny supply (and aren't compatible with nonmagnetic cookware)... they would work with a small generator but then I would still have to deal with fuel... I'll stick to propane.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-14-2016, 08:42 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

i would disagree
                      i have never had a microwave,
                      know many who do not have microwaves
                      have some friends/relatives keep the microwave in the basement or garage for spouse that insists on microwave,
                      i had a deli for 20 years, anytime microwave was running, if you were close to it you can feel it and instantly get headaches,
                      staff was instructed to run the microwave and step away at least 10' while running, do not stand in front waiting for timer to tick down
                      if i am at someones house and walk by a running microwave i still feel it and get headaches from it

Comment

LOL! There isn't any scientific evidence of any microwave oven radiation causing any kind of harm, and the FDA only allows the tiniest amount of radiation to leak from any microwave sold in the US. Those headaches are probably from the nitrates in meats and msg in packaged foods being heated, not the microwave. Your post is a hoot and I do appreciate its comic value. Keep 'em coming! :penguin:

Comment

LOL! There isn't any scientific evidence of any microwave oven radiation causing any kind of harm, and the FDA only allows the tiniest amount of radiation to leak from any microwave sold in the US. Those headaches are probably from the nitrates in meats and msg in packaged foods being heated, not the microwave. Your post is a hoot and I do appreciate its comic value. Keep 'em coming! :penguin:

Fda only regulates mw ovens at time of manufacture
                          they do not regulate leakage from such ovens after manufacture
                          these cheap ovens barely have any shielding to prevent leakage
                          In commercial environment it is recommended to replace the oven every year whether used or not

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                            Fda only regulates mw ovens at time of manufacture
                            they do not regulate leakage from such ovens after manufacture
                            these cheap ovens barely have any shielding to prevent leakage
                            In commercial environment it is recommended to replace the oven every year whether used or not
                            That works for me: There's a lawyer on every corner here in SoCal (just like NJ/NY, lol). Folks believe what they believe, damn the facts, ignore the science, and start a lottery lawsuit, lol. Argue with your insurance company, and you realize they also believe what they read on the Internet - beside a whole lot of other cr*p, IMHO. (I own an LLC, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt).
                            Last edited by tplife; 06-16-2016, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X