Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Happy Joe, I too use the silver tarps under my tent; I am going to use the footprint on the floor inside my tent, in the screen room portion, in place of the large patio rug I was using. This will save a lot of valuable space in my car.

It's looking like too that I will periodically have to downsize, but its so much fun buying/trying new things for camping-all part of the fun.
    Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Re: What changes toyour camping (gear/ techniques) are youpplanning for this year?

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      my gear runs in cycles; too much stuff, (downsize), then build back up to too much and re-downsize... its just the way things work for me.
      Originally posted by CampinLady View Post
      It's looking like too that I will periodically have to downsize, but its so much fun buying/trying new things for camping-all part of the fun.
      That's how I've wound up with enough gear to pretty much outfit a dozen people. "Oh - that tent's on sale - buy it!". "Yeah - that stove is cheap - I needs another one". I'm a little lacking in the sleeping bag and cot department (3 bags and 3 cots) and you'll have to bring your own clothes unless you're my size, but I've configured and reconfigured how I camp so many times I'm running out of shelf space. Tents, stoves, lanterns, axes, saws, coolers, cook sets, tarps, pegs, rope, bungee cords and at least half a dozen ways to start a fire. And you know you can't get rid of any of it - it's too good to get rid of, or "I'll need that one day". I know I'm lying to myself and won't use more than half of it ever again but I don't care. Now I'm covered for just about any size campsite or weather conditions I might run into.

Comment

...many pickup truck bed trailers are great and tow safely and easily; there are a few, however, that are just built wrong...Hope this one works out well for you (sounds like you know enough to do it right)....

As far as AC there are some portable room air conditioners that use ducts to get cool air and get rid of the hot (usually through a window adapter); I don't know if they can be easily converted to push the cool air through the duct but they might be another option to look at.

...have small light weight genny that can easily unloaded fueled up and started. It fits my low demand pretty well, I can see how a larger one would be a pain (have used them for construction at remote sites).

Enjoy!
        Ive used the heavy generators on construction sites, for this use, I think I'm going to use the small Honda EU2000. They are compact, as reliable as can be, weigh 46 lbs dry, and run quite a while on a fill-up (8 hrs?). I'll be able to use it for other things, but the primary reason will be a reliable and safe way to keep the dog from overheating in the summer. I have to travel some, and its not practical, nor do I want to leave her behind.

Ive looked at the portable in house AC units, they aren't as compact or cheap as the basic window units. The window units are cheap enough also that in event of a problem, Id just buy a new one. About $100 for a name brand small size window AC. I'll have to figure out a way to adapt it to some duct system, but I think I can figure it out one way or another. The window units Ive had for my cabin have been very reliable, so that removes some worry about them. I supposed one of the car alarm systems could be adapted to send you an alert if the temp rose above a certain limit, meaning you had a malfunction in the cooling system for the dog. You could deal with it before it became a real problem for the dog.

In researching it, Ive come across quite a lot of examples of it being done. many are real hillbilly engineering, some are nicely done. It does show its a workable concept though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wind...&bih=546#spf=1
        Last edited by Malamute; 04-06-2017, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          That's how I've wound up with enough gear to pretty much outfit a dozen people. "Oh - that tent's on sale - buy it!". "Yeah - that stove is cheap - I needs another one". I'm a little lacking in the sleeping bag and cot department (3 bags and 3 cots) and you'll have to bring your own clothes unless you're my size, but I've configured and reconfigured how I camp so many times I'm running out of shelf space. Tents, stoves, lanterns, axes, saws, coolers, cook sets, tarps, pegs, rope, bungee cords and at least half a dozen ways to start a fire. And you know you can't get rid of any of it - it's too good to get rid of, or "I'll need that one day". I know I'm lying to myself and won't use more than half of it ever again but I don't care. Now I'm covered for just about any size campsite or weather conditions I might run into.

lol...I couldn't have said it better as this is....me. My friends laugh and say I could run a refugee camp.

I do limit myself primarily to purchasing gear at a deep discount now since I really don't need anything else (I'm well beyond having to purchase something specifically at the last minute for a particular trip). It is a horrible, yet at the same time, a very satisfying disease.

I just purchased 2 additional 6 foot long, 5 foot tall, 4 shelf shelving units for my gear storage. That brings me up to 5 units total. That's 30 feet of 5 foot tall shelving with camp stuff stored on them! lol. I still had a bit of room on the current shelves, but the new additional ones will allow me to organize the space better according to gear type.

I like being able to camp in any weather, at any time of the year, and in any style.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
            , for this use, I think I'm going to use the small Honda EU2000. They are compact, as reliable as can be, weigh 46 lbs dry, and run quite a while on a fill-up (8 hrs?). I'll be able to use it for other things, but the primary reason will be a reliable and safe way to keep the dog from overheating in the summer. I have to travel some, and its not practical, nor do I want to leave her behind.

Ive looked at the portable in house AC units, they aren't as compact or cheap as the basic window units. The window units are cheap enough also that in event of a problem, Id just buy a new one. About $100 for a name brand small size window AC. I'll have to figure out a way to adapt it to some duct system, but I think I can figure it out one way or another. The window units Ive had for my cabin have been very reliable, so that removes some worry about them. I supposed one of the car alarm systems could be adapted to send you an alert if the temp rose above a certain limit, meaning you had a malfunction in the cooling system for the dog. You could deal with it before it became a real problem for the dog.

In researching it, Ive come across quite a lot of examples of it being done. many are real hillbilly engineering, some are nicely done. It does show its a workable concept though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wind...&bih=546#spf=1
            More importantly the Hondas are quiet!
            A large RV showed me how important this is by running his 3kw, old school, cheapie generator, full throttle, all night; 100 yards, or more, away, and it still made it hard to sleep.
            Settled on the equivalent Yamaha, myself (also quiet)...

Surpassed the shelf storage a while ago; the STUFF is now slowly filling up a spare bedroom...Buying stuff for camping (or a vehicle) is FUN... haven't really, actually, needed anything for a good while...Still use the 1957 era sleeping bag (albeit with a poncho liner)...

(Edit); .. any one else have any old gear/ is it worth starting an old gear thread?

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-07-2017, 07:28 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

A quiet generator is a huge deal. Folks with their generators can drive me nuts - seriously you need to run it for 8 hours in a 22 hour period? It's not hot enough to need AC, it's not cold enough to need the heater, what is so friggin' important?

My camping gear is 41 years old. But it's all contained so I just need 22ft of driveway to store it all.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

(Edit); .. any one else have any old gear/ is it worth starting an old gear thread?
                Old Gear? lol. I have some...might be interesting to see some old stuff on a thread...especially if it is still functioning and still gets some use. Not sure how many others might be willing to post up pics in a separate thread.

Sample of a few of my old time favs...still working/still go out on trips periodically: Coleman Lantern 247b c.1939, Coleman Stove 413d c. 1951, and a Coleman Oven c.1969.

Click image for larger version

Name:	247b c.1939.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	70766Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman Stove 413D c.1951.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	70767Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman Oven c.1969.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	70768
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  My camping gear is 41 years old. But it's all contained so I just need 22ft of driveway to store it all.
                  lol.

sigpic

Comment

I agree the quiet generator is huge, and is one other reason I'm attracted to the Honda Generator. I think if its disguised well, its quiet enough to go mostly unnoticed if left running in a parking lot while I go in a store or whatever. Having it to make toast is also a good reason to have one. :D

I have a Coleman stove model No1. I bought it at an old guys auction back in the 70s. I took it to a repair guy in Flagstaff, he said his parts books only went back to No2 I think, but he was able to get it up and going, and its worked ever since. I also cast quite a few bullets on it in years past. The stove has a complete enclosure to act as an oven. Its built into the lid. I bought a newer one, one that didn't require priming with raw fuel. Its handier, but not quite as classy as the old one.

Comment

Happy Joe, I too use the silver tarps under my tent; I am going to use the footprint on the floor inside my tent, in the screen room portion, in place of the large patio rug I was using. This will save a lot of valuable space in my car.

Do you have a roof rack or rooftop cargo carrier? Ive carried quite a bit of stuff on the roof on my pickups in the past, even slept on them many times. I carried a fairly large, heavy generator on the top of my Nissan pickup camper shell halfway across the country once. Used to carry my tent poles for my wall tent on top most of the time, just so I didn't have to load them when I went camping. They were natural Lodgepole Pine poles I cut in the mountains, they looked a bit like tipi poles, but shorter. Roof racks can be handy.

A friend carried two complete quartered elks on top of the Nissan when he owned it.

Comment

Do you have a roof rack or rooftop cargo carrier? Ive carried quite a bit of stuff on the roof on my pickups in the past, even slept on them many times. I carried a fairly large, heavy generator on the top of my Nissan pickup camper shell halfway across the country once. Used to carry my tent poles for my wall tent on top most of the time, just so I didn't have to load them when I went camping. They were natural Lodgepole Pine poles I cut in the mountains, they looked a bit like tipi poles, but shorter. Roof racks can be handy.

A friend carried two complete quartered elks on top of the Nissan when he owned it.
                        I had actually thought about the roof rack-thank you though. I am going to first see if all my gear, dogs & their carseats fit & if not I will get the roof rack installed & then some type of cargo carrier. I am hoping I don't have to do this since I assume I will have some difficulty reaching & then moving items off the roof. I am sure a small stool would work however. I would have to pack lightweight stuff on the roof as I have to be real careful with my neck & back & have weight lifting limits.
                        Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Malamute, if you cast them they are called "Boolits", not bullets. One buys bullets. One casts Boolits.
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I had actually thought about the roof rack-thank you though. I am going to first see if all my gear, dogs & their carseats fit & if not I will get the roof rack installed & then some type of cargo carrier. I am hoping I don't have to do this since I assume I will have some difficulty reaching & then moving items off the roof. I am sure a small stool would work however. I would have to pack lightweight stuff on the roof as I have to be real careful with my neck & back & have weight lifting limits.
                            I usually stand on the tires (reaching for the rack to hold on to) to reach my racks on my pickup and suburban. A stool may work, or a small aluminum stepladder, like 2 ft maybe? Beware of setting it sideways to the vehicle and leaning sideways. Much better to have it facing the vehicle for stability. Could maybe lean it against the tire unopened.

I also cant lift much these days. The roof racks can still be handy for lighter weight and long or bulky stuff.

If you have a trailer hitch, the cargo racks that fit in the hitch are also very handy. I have one and use it a fair amount. When one of my large dogs was getting geezerly, I built him a step and carried it on the rear rack. He was too big to boost into the suburban. With the step, he was good for getting in and out. The hitch carriers are also nice for stuff like stinky bags of garbage that are going to the dump, fuel cans, and other stuff you may not want inside the vehicle. Ive hauled a few deers on mine also.

Comment

The explorer has some plastic rails that, I think are supposed to be a roof rack...
                              Personally,I don't put things on the roof because it is VERY likely that they will get scraped off by low hanging trees on the way to the campsites... I like to camp in out of the way, hard to get to/little known, places... although I can see the temptation when camping in more open terrain.

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-08-2017, 06:53 AM.
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I second one of the hitch cargo racks. If you don't have a hitch on your car, you should be able to get one added for a reasonable price. The only thing I would say is that if you want to be able to remove the rack between trips, it could outweigh your lifting limits. You might need to work out a system to remove it (maybe using a red wagon to hold the rack when you attach/remove it). I would use it for the bulkier stuff.

You can also try some packing bags. They are nice because they squish and you can fit them into awkward spaces inside the car.
                                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                                X