Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

I wanted to post pictures of what I use. I also wanted other to share what they use to power devices at the campsite. For example, anyone use a quiet inverter generator?..Pictures....

This is a 600 watt power pack. Which is really just a fancy 28ah battery with an inverter attached. I have replaced the battery once, after about 5 years. Note the crudely glued on 12v splitter...

For camping I really don't use the inverter, all my electronics are 12v. I find this simpler. The black thing between the fans is a 26watt foldable solar panel. I have run a small cooler and an electric blanket in the past, but these are such energy hogs, they drain the battery in one day.

This is battery is best used for fans, lights, cell phones, etc...this I can run forever with the panel charging during the day.
    --Johnny
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2103.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	72420
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2104.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	72419

Re: Portable power for tent camping, What do you use?

I use a Xantrex Power Supply, it's only to supplying power for the air-mattress & to power the IPod Speaker Dock. Usually the music is off most of the time just because the sounds of nature are more appealing than man-made music!

http://www.xantrex.com

TPlife has a home-made device but I'm not as clever as he is, wish I was through, heehee! Thanks Johnny for startin this thread, it's always good to see what other campateers do for quiet electrical power...when a generator won't do!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Tplife isn't clever, only a good copycat, seeing what RV'ers use and building upon that. I only switched to an Optima house battery out of total frustration with the Zantrex-type power supplies. They contain only tiny motorcycle batteries inside, you cannot discharge them below 50% without damaging their ability to be recharged. They are old-school lead acid starting batteries, not deep-cycle batteries, and that was the mistake I made in using them. Now I use them as designed, to start my car without jumper cables or as a portable compressor, etc. They are great for that but my voltmeter told me what they were not for - as a power supply in camp. I only have an inverter in my photos to have a way to power anything, I'd never use it as it draws 5-20W even when it has nothing plugged into it. That's the job of a converter. With the Optima I can run the 200W Kenwood stereo, LED programmable lightbars, LED lamps, charge phones, etc. all simultaneously all day and all night all weekend long with the 6 12V outlets and I've never dropped below 11.7V. I guess I could light cigarettes too, but now I only smoke when I get mad! :mad:
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I swapped out the battery for a sealed lead acid, but you could put in an AGM. It is just not what you are supposed to do.

My next iteration will be an Optima deep cylce like tplife did. Double the storage for about the same weight.

Some of the honda inverter generators are very quiet. I would like to hear if others have experience with this.

-Johnny

Comment

That Honda generator would sure look nice under my Christmas tree! It's okay to dream...
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Okay, I looked this up, Honda Inverter Generator,

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...elid=EU1000IKN
            Costs about $950 and it is a generator so it still has a low hum, but yet advertised to be super quiet.

Has anyone in a tent campsite ever used one of these items and tried to take an afternoon nap while it is running? Is it too much noise for a tent camper? How much space is required from another campsite so the other tent camping family can't hear the hum? Presently, it is too much to spend just to try it out so comments are welcomed. In a trailer or RV one can isolate themselves from the hum by stepping inside their RV or trailer and shutting the door. In a tent there is no sound-proof, insulated walls or doors, your environment either consists of nylon, polyester or canvas material.
            • 1000 watts (8.3 A) of Honda inverter 120V AC power
            • Super quiet - 53 to 59 dB
            Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
            Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I think that rig you have is awesome!!
              I guess if you wanted the ideal battery setup, you could pick the brain of someone who designs batteries for Duracell, Rayovac etc....Then you would learn all about duty cycle, depth of discharge, rate of charge, drain curves, recharging amperage etc etc........
              But yeah, TP......you seem to have a really good grip on what you are doing!!
              We'll be travelling soon!!

Comment

I have seen the super quiet generators while boat-camping. If you can place the generator far away at the end on an extension cord behind a big rock or tree, you would not know it is there during the day. If it is under heavy load or at night you can hear it.

Comment

I've had one of those hondas set up very close to my tent in the desert. I think during the day I could nap while the thing was running, I was shocked to realize it was on.

Comment

Is it difficult to swap out the batteries?

Originally posted by Johnny Test View Post
                    I swapped out the battery for a sealed lead acid, but you could put in an AGM. It is just not what you are supposed to do.

My next iteration will be an Optima deep cylce like tplife did. Double the storage for about the same weight.

Some of the honda inverter generators are very quiet. I would like to hear if others have experience with this.

-Johnny
                    May you always have love to share,
                    Health to spare
                    And friends that care.

Comment

I have to say, I am surprised. I *assumed* that everyone tent camped without power devices (i.e. no electronics). LOL!

We camp with some battery operated items (fans, table top radio, and two-way/weather radios). I always bring at least 12 extra batteries for each item, overkill I know, but I like to be over-prepared. :D

I'm afraid that if we ever brought along a true power source, my hubby would want to bring along his laptop and use his smart phone regularly. :(
                      "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                      ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

"...swap out batteries...."

Not too difficult if you can find the exact size replacment. Lots of screws.

It is not intended to be done. Xantrex intends you just to throw it out and buy a new one. Thats America.

Comment

I was going to post a new thread about this, but since I've found this one I'd like to resurrect.

Having recently gone through Hurricane Sandy, I have 2 of these portable (quiet) Honda EU2000i generators. I would absolutely LOVE to bring one with me (to help take the sting out of the $$ I put out during the storm). Trying to figure out what I could use it for during car camping with my family (me, wife, 7 and 5 year old girls).

My first inclination would be: Electric griddle for breakfasts/lunch. Coffee Maker for wife and I. Maybe bring my jobsite radio to play some tunes during the afternoon. Maybe not the tunes ....

Sure would like to use the generator though.

Comment

I only need electricity for small items, but if you need heat in your tent, or lots of camp light, then it may be worth it.

Comment

Like some of the other comments elude to, I have to ask why you need all that power when camping? What items require that much electricity in today's world of LED lights and even low power personal entertainment systems (so you can escape the camping experience?

When I am camping, one of the things that really ruins my trip is when some bozo in an RV pulls up in a nearby campsite and runs his generator. I mean really - just go home or stay in a hotel!

Comment

Working...
                              X