but this one even on low its enough to light up a room
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	72974

Re: Solar powered lantern

Are the led's set in the solar panel?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Yes
      solar panel on top
      leds just below them
      i leave it flat by a window or on car dash to charge

Comment

We have two of these solar lanterns for the kids, and they are great! We got the Luci EMRG, that are a little smaller and the frosted plastic. They really do throw a lot of light, have a high and low setting, and last really long on a full charge. Plus they deflate and take up a minuscule amount of space when packing. We love them!
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
          Yes
          solar panel on top
          leds just below them
          i leave it flat by a window or on car dash to charge
          demo video for those that are curious

Comment

I am so glad you posted about these as I have been wondering how well they work. I have seen these at Wally World. I have to give one a try!
            Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by CampinLady View Post
              I am so glad you posted about these as I have been wondering how well they work. I have seen these at Wally World. I have to give one a try!
              i am not one to promote latest fads gimmicks and gadgets,
              but i highly recommend adding such lanterns,
              i am glad to leave my 4d battery powered lantern at home,
              i did see same light at walmart for $15, looked the same as $20 i paid elsewhere,

when i looked at the walmart one didnt seem as bright as the $20 one i bought, could have just been store lighting
              checking online $15 versions have 12 hr run time and weigh 4 oz,
              $20 versions have 18 hr run time and weigh 4.4 oz,
              also $15 version states 50 lumens $20 version states 65 lumens

so there is a difference in $15 versions over $20 versions

walmart specs
              Contained Battery Type
              Lithium Ion
              Model MPD-0500
              Brand Luci Outdoor
              Age Group Adult
              Fabric Content 100% NA
              Light Output 50 lumens
              Light Bulb Type LED Light Bulbs
              Condition New
              Size One Size
              Material PVC
              Manufacturer Part Number 0500
              Power Type Solar
              Contains Batteries Y
              Assembled Product Weight 0.25
              Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H) 5.00 x 5.00 x 4.00 Inches

ems store specs
              Outdoor 2.0 is the newest and most versatile Luci light yet. With more light settings, it's brighter than ever and longer lasting than the previous generation of Luci Outdoor. The new adjustable bottom strap lets you attach Luci anywhere without needing an extra hook. Just as lightweight, waterproof and durable as ever, it collapses down to just 1 inch, giving you plenty of room for all your camping, hiking, climbing, kayaking or do-anything gear. Completely solar powered, Luci Outdoor 2.0 keeps you out of the dark, no matter how far off the grid you go.
              • Designed with a phthalate-free, waterproof enclosure built to last in harsh conditions without yellowing over time
              • Equipped with over-current and short-circuit protection material
              • Its 10, high-efficiency LED bulbs illuminate a 100 sq. ft. area
              • Just charges by the sun – no outlet or replacement battery needed
              • Includes a high-efficiency solar panel for charging
              • Gets a full charge with 7 hours of direct sunlight
              • Offers power for up to 12 hours with “bright” setting
              • Lasts up to 18 hours on low setting
              • Has a top strap and adjustable base strap
              • Has four modes: low, bright, super bright, and 1-second flashing
              • Inflatable, lightweight, yet extremely durable design
              • IP67 waterproof construction (submersible, floats in water)
              • Battery charge indicator lets you know how much power is left
              • Measures 4.25 in. tall by 5 in. wide when inflated; collapses down to 1 in.
              • Weighs just 4.4 oz. (125g)
              • Operates in temperatures 15°F to 122°F
              • One-year warranty
              • 65 lumens
              • Comes with a rechargeable lithium ion battery pack: >300 cycle life

Comment

I have one of these that I won in a prize drawing at a conference. Haven't taken it camping yet, but tried it at home and found it to work quite well.

Interesting note: a friend of mine works with FEMA and said these are now being included in their emergency kits.

Comment

I think back to not all that long ago when anything with LEDs was expensive and solar panels weren't nearly as efficient as they are now. The combination of advances in LED and solar panel technology has become a great boon for campers. It makes me wonder how much they've taken a chunk out of the market for traditional propane and liquid fuel lanterns.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    It makes me wonder how much they've taken a chunk out of the market for traditional propane and liquid fuel lanterns.
                    I'm sure it has taken a chunk. One used to be able to walk around and see Coleman lanterns lighting up campsites. Now...it's much much much more LED lanterns.

Except...I really don't care for the light quality given off by some LED's. I find the bluish/white light produced by some to be quite irritating to my old eyes. The light has the same quality of basement hallway lighting in an old institution.

But....LED technology has improved quite a bit and one can now find LED's dipping down into the lower "warm" whites on the Kelvin scale (typically 2000-4000k). This light will come across as more "yellow" white rather than "blue" white. I have a few lanterns that contain these warmer LED's. If you like yellowish while...select a LED lantern with lower Kelvin ratings....if you like bluish white, then a higher Kelvin rating is what you'll prefer.

I use LED's in the tent (3 season usage typically) and on my head (headlamp-I suppose using a fuel powered headlamp would be dangerous-lol...altho cavers used them years ago).

Overall...I still prefer my fuel powered lanterns for several reasons. I have moved more to the micro/mini single mantle lanterns powered by butane/propane mix fuel and away from my Coleman large size propane or fuel powered lanterns. With a Kovea/similar adapter, I can also run these micro/minis off the single green 1lb propane tanks-which are more cost effective over the butane/propane blends). I like these because 3 or 4 mini/micros take up the same space as 1 big Coleman lantern and I can station them around the campsite as needed and run them on a lower/less bright setting since they are placed just where I need task lighting.

As a side note...in the winter, a fuel powered lantern is much warmer than an LED lantern.

To each there own...personal preference is a great thing.....happy camping!
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I'm a great fan of warm LED "bulbs" (~2700K). Will never miss the glaring light from mantle lanterns (nor the fragile mantles or in tent air pollution). Never cared for the bluish/purple light from the early LEDs either.
                      ...X2 on personal preference and variety of choice...

(wow! the like button has started working again for me)...

Enjoy!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

We too purchased solar lights led lamps for camping. Although we purchased Sauoki brand. This will primarily be used in the tent. I usually like warmer light but these fold up small and we don't spend a lot of time in the tent.

We have Coleman lanterns for those nights it get dark early but we only use it for cleaning up. The rest of the time we use head lamps if needed. We aren't big fans of light pollution. I love star gazing. I was frustrated after driving 1,000 miles to find a place dark enough to see the Milky Way and the campsites on both sides of us ran their Coleman lanterns all night. The most frustrating part is they stayed inside. I understand that we camp to get away from the noise and lights and others camp to party. I think others are uncomfortable in the dark. Sorry for the rant.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          I'm sure it has taken a chunk. One used to be able to walk around and see Coleman lanterns lighting up campsites. Now...it's much much much more LED lanterns.

Except...I really don't care for the light quality given off by some LED's. I find the bluish/white light produced by some to be quite irritating to my old eyes. The light has the same quality of basement hallway lighting in an old institution.

But....LED technology has improved quite a bit and one can now find LED's dipping down into the lower "warm" whites on the Kelvin scale (typically 2000-4000k). This light will come across as more "yellow" white rather than "blue" white. I have a few lanterns that contain these warmer LED's. If you like yellowish while...select a LED lantern with lower Kelvin ratings....if you like bluish white, then a higher Kelvin rating is what you'll prefer.

I use LED's in the tent (3 season usage typically) and on my head (headlamp-I suppose using a fuel powered headlamp would be dangerous-lol...altho cavers used them years ago).

Overall...I still prefer my fuel powered lanterns for several reasons. I have moved more to the micro/mini single mantle lanterns powered by butane/propane mix fuel and away from my Coleman large size propane or fuel powered lanterns. With a Kovea/similar adapter, I can also run these micro/minis off the single green 1lb propane tanks-which are more cost effective over the butane/propane blends). I like these because 3 or 4 mini/micros take up the same space as 1 big Coleman lantern and I can station them around the campsite as needed and run them on a lower/less bright setting since they are placed just where I need task lighting.

As a side note...in the winter, a fuel powered lantern is much warmer than an LED lantern.

To each there own...personal preference is a great thing.....happy camping!
                          Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                          I'm a great fan of warm LED "bulbs" (~2700K). Will never miss the glaring light from mantle lanterns (nor the fragile mantles or in tent air pollution). Never cared for the bluish/purple light from the early LEDs either.
                          ...X2 on personal preference and variety of choice...

(wow! the like button has started working again for me)...

Enjoy!
                          I have always found it funny that people don't like the 'blue' led lights. It is the same light spectrum of sunlight so you see it every day when you go outside. Same thing with the CFL bulbs that people didn't like the shape of...it is just because you are used to the shape of incandescent bulbs.
                          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                            I have always found it funny that people don't like the 'blue' led lights. It is the same light spectrum of sunlight so you see it every day when you go outside. Same thing with the CFL bulbs that people didn't like the shape of...it is just because you are used to the shape of incandescent bulbs.
                            Full clear sky can run in the up to 10000k - 15000k range, which is actually a harsh light and would be blinding in an LED. Average daylight 5500-6000k. Sunglasses? A lot of folks use them during the day for more than just uv protection. Dusk/Dawn light drops into the 2000-3000k range. I like to stay around the dusk/dawn level in k warmth in LED's for camp at night as I find it more pleasant to my eye than kicking the LED rating up into that harsher blue/white higher daylight spectrum. Campfires likewise come in on the low end of the scale (<3000k). lol...I don't want to wear my sunglasses at night... (there's a song there somewhere.. ).

Personal preference. Just depends on the light scale you prefer in camp when you need/want lighting.
                            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Put some LED lights 12 - 15 feet in the air and it won't matter what color they are. It'll bathe about a 50 foot circle in just enough light to see what you're doing. No glare and no bugs in your face.

Comment

Working...
                              X