2004 Nissan Quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Nissan Quest

Any got one of these? I am thinking about buying a very rare used one here in Colorado. I am specifically concerned about towing. Specs say 3500lbs. it will definitely tow my 93 Coleman, just curious how well.

Thanks,
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Some folks expect the same neck snapping performance out of their tow vehicle when hauling a pop up as when there's nothing hitched. that's not realistic. And some manufacturers, while not lying about their "towing specifications", aren't really giving you real world information.

I drive a subaru. Subaru is one of the few manufacturers that give you "clean" towing specs. Nissan is one of the many that, while not actually lying, give you tow specs that aren't realistic. The only real way to find your vehicle's towing specification is to take the GCWR and subtract the GVWR from it. The difference is, in essence, the amount the vehicle can tow AFTER it is fully loaded carrying the maximum cargo and passengers. Most manufacturers give a "tow rating" that includes passengers and cargo. Obviously, most people shopping for a pop up or wanting to know whether their tow vehicle can handle it or not, only consider the weight of the pop up.

The the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or GVWR is the absolute maximum that the vehicle, its passengers, its cargo and its fuel and fluids can weigh and still operate safely. The Gross Combined Weight Rating or GCWR is the absolute maximum total weight of the vehicle, its passengers, its cargo, its fuel and fluids AND anything attached to or pulled by the vehicle where tge vehicle can still operate safely. If you understand the foregoing and you "do the math", the difference between the GCWR and the GVWR represents the total weight you can safely tow....and it already includes passengers, cargo, fuel and fluids and the dry weight of the car. Many manufactures "fudge" tow ratings by simply subtracting the dry (or "curb") weight of the vehicle--the empty vehicle, gas, oil and one fictional weight driver--from the GCWR. Again, if you understand the meanings of the labels, you can see the just mentioned calculation will give you a much higher "tow rating", but not all of it can be a pop up, because you still have to allow for passengers and cargo.

As to performance when you're towing....Operating at or near the GCWR or the GVWR, while still within the performance envelope of the vehicle, requires that you be aware that acceleration will be noticibly slower and braking will take noticibly longer. In other words it won't hurt the vehicle, but you'll definitely know something is attached to the vehicle.
    Originally posted by JohnJohn
    Any got one of these? I am thinking about buying a very rare used one here in Colorado. I am specifically concerned about towing. Specs say 3500lbs. it will definitely tow my 93 Coleman, just curious how well.

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks kd,

I drive my wife over to the Nissan store to sit in one...the look on her face was priceless. She said to me "I am way to young to be driving this thing". I ended up buying her a new Wrangler instead. So much for towing y camper long distances. :D
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

How much does your Coleman weigh?

I've towed my Flagstaff 3+ hours with my Wrangler. I have to admidt that the Liberty tows SOOOOOO much better, but the wrangler's do-able.

Note: Liberty gets better mileage towing than the wrangler w/o a trailer. Doh!

But the Wrangler can wheel like crazy. The Liberty... Well, you know.

Comment

Coleman Weight

I think mine weighs about 800 empty and 1100 loaded up. My XJ tows way better than my Rubicon TJ, and they have the same motor. The TjJis geared a little better at 4.10. The XJ only has 3.55s right now but I will soon have that built to 10" of lift with 4.56 gears.
          JohnJohn
          ---------
          Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
            I think mine weighs about 800 empty and 1100 loaded up. My XJ tows way better than my Rubicon TJ, and they have the same motor. The TjJis geared a little better at 4.10. The XJ only has 3.55s right now but I will soon have that built to 10" of lift with 4.56 gears.
            You have a Rubicon?!?! I am so JEALOUS! :eek:

Mine is a 91 Wrangler, 4" suspension, 1" shackle, D44 rear w/ "power locker" (lim Slip), KC's, CB, big mother stereo w/ alarm, all tops, smittybilt rear bumper w/ 2" reciever welded to frame, 32" BFG Mud Terrains...

Comment

Yup a Rubi, but that's not my pride a joy really. I am building my 3rd XJ. 35s, 10.5" of lift, locked, etc. Here is a link the Jeep site. www.luvmyjp.com
              JohnJohn
              ---------
              Forum Admin

Comment

Sold the Wrangler

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...hp?p=81#post81
                JohnJohn
                ---------
                Forum Admin

Comment

Working...
                X